The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tidying up engine bay

jevansio

Many thanks for the kind words guys :thumbs:

Tonights update:

I finally figured out a technique to install the fittings on the braided hoses. The -12s were a lot easier than the -10's. I bought a new vice which helped. Also cutting the hose with a hacksaw very carefully (rather than mashing through it with an angle grinder) helped. Finally once the collars were on it helped to push something into the hose to open it back up ready for the fitting (increasing sized long reach sockets did the job perfectly).

Anyway I've started the breather setup. I used a Forge tank which I got from Jamie P at a snip (so big thanks for that bud :thumbs:). It goes -12 into a tee at the back of the engine, & from there -10 onto my cam covers. I had to do it this way as my covers were -10 & the tank -12 & I didn't want to reweld any of the fittings on. There's one fitting left to do on the tee for the right side breather. Also still waiting on a filter to turn up (I'm using Minimoto airfilters which look like little cones :D)

I've removed all pipework to the heater matrix and will be capping them off when the caps arrive from Whiffin (cheers Paul)

attachment.php?attachmentid=94568&stc=1&d=1245273173

attachment.php?attachmentid=94569&stc=1&d=1245273173

attachment.php?attachmentid=94570&stc=1&d=1245273173

Img_3840.jpg

Img_3841.jpg

Img_3843.jpg

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spent the weekend removing stuff from the passenger wing so I could spray & lacquer it. Throttle body came off along with the FMIC pipework. Moved the ignitor and associated gubbins, moved the FPR & fuel filter.

The damn ABS is a right eyesore, but there's not a lot I can do about that.

Little bits & pieces are turning up each day and now the spray work is done I'm over the top of the hill and every update from now on should see something bolted back on (rather than being removed)

Also received a new sparkplug cover thanks to Kev O. not sure if I want to go bling with my HorsePowerFreaks cover or try something unique with this cover.

One of my best mates has a good friend who is very handy with a spray gun, was contemplating getting a design/pattern over the sparkplug /fusebox/relaybox covers.

Maybe something like a reptile skin type effect. What do you think? Too much? Any ideas on what would look good, I've seen the cartoon ones & they aren't really my cup of tea, I want something subtle but unique :)

Anyway todays update pics:

attachment.php?attachmentid=94947&stc=1&d=1245784540

attachment.php?attachmentid=94948&stc=1&d=1245784540

attachment.php?attachmentid=94949&stc=1&d=1245784540

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

Where have you moved the ignitor pack to Jay? I'm guessing the wing. Did you have to extend the wiring?

Yeah that's where it's going, haven't extended it yet but I have all the correct gauge wiring (liberated from work :D), will be this weekends job if weather is OK

Jay just a thought. Get yourself a piece of cardboard and fashion a cover for the ABS then transfer it to Aly sheet. You can then paint it or cover it in CF if you want.

See pic of Big blue's old engine bay for an idea obviously you will need to alter the design for your cars layout: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=11079&d=1207560266

jay im inspired mate you do realise now ive seem this most of my engine is coming out to paint the engine bay. THANKS MATE lol.

Looks great cant wait to have a look.

I may have a mirror stainless abs cover going if you want it cos im making a new and improved 1.

jay im inspired mate you do realise now ive seem this most of my engine is coming out to paint the engine bay. THANKS MATE lol.

Looks great cant wait to have a look.

I may have a mirror stainless abs cover going if you want it cos im making a new and improved 1.

Lol, you'll have it done in a crack though :D

Cheers mate, that sounds great, really appreciate it bud, pop it over when you come :thumbs:

Tonights update.

Removed the hoses from the filter to rail, going to have it braided with aeroquip fittings & a 120 deg fitting on the rail so it clears the PS hose.

Took the opportunity to make a bracket to hold the fuel filter (it was just zip tied to some of the brake lines before).

Also fixed up the hose which relocates the idle control valve to the inner wing (big -12 hose from the plenum).

attachment.php?attachmentid=95037&stc=1&d=1245964816

attachment.php?attachmentid=95038&stc=1&d=1245964816

attachment.php?attachmentid=95039&stc=1&d=1245964816

attachment.php?attachmentid=95040&stc=1&d=1245964816

Img_3853.jpg

Img_3854.jpg

Img_3855.jpg

Img_3856.jpg

Todays job, I noticed that my AAP fan kit didn't fit flush with the radiator, there was a pretty big gap around it. When the fans were on they were sucking air from round the shroud (rather than through the rad). I figured I'd make it more efficient by moving the shroud closer to the rad so it'd suck more air through the rad. Also to the opportunity to polish the shroud all over.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95063&stc=1&d=1246110194

attachment.php?attachmentid=95064&stc=1&d=1246110194

attachment.php?attachmentid=95065&stc=1&d=1246110194

attachment.php?attachmentid=95066&stc=1&d=1246110194

attachment.php?attachmentid=95067&stc=1&d=1246110194

attachment.php?attachmentid=95068&stc=1&d=1246110194

Img_3860.jpg

Img_3861.jpg

Img_3862.jpg

Img_3863.jpg

Img_3864.jpg

Img_3865.jpg

Got a bit done over the weekend (and today as I had the day off work due to drinking large amounts of Vodka yesterday :D)

I decided that the electrical stuff I was relocating (HKS DLI, resistor pack, ignitor) would be easier to mount in the passenger footwell rather than in the inner wing. It ony requires 6 inches more wiring to get it there.

So all the wiring the has been strewn over the engine in the previous shots has beenput into conduit and ran to the passenger wing. I've only extended the loom for the resistor pack for now & that's in the footwell ready to be connected (had to put that off today until I picked some more heatshrink up).

Polished the plenum while I had good access and polished the throttle body while it was off. Also sprayed the throttle cable bracket.

It's the little things that are taking the time on this, take for the throttle, held on with 4 perfectly good bolts (but they didn't match). So I had to go and get some 50mm M8 bolts, then I cut a couple of mill off each one so it was the perfect length when bolted up. I know I didn't need to do this & it makes buggar all difference to the car, I guess it's the OCD in me coming out.

Pics:

attachment.php?attachmentid=95133&stc=1&d=1246303466

attachment.php?attachmentid=95134&stc=1&d=1246303466

attachment.php?attachmentid=95135&stc=1&d=1246303466

attachment.php?attachmentid=95136&stc=1&d=1246303466

attachment.php?attachmentid=95137&stc=1&d=1246303466

attachment.php?attachmentid=95138&stc=1&d=1246303466

Img_3869.jpg

Img_3870.jpg

Img_3871.jpg

Img_3872.jpg

Img_3873.jpg