Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn right! All the best for you guys for the whole season; long may the great results continue! :)

Thanks Steve :thumbs:

Should be a good season now we have a better class to compete in and the guys are consistently improving their times!

Knockhill will be a new experience for Paul but provided it's dry, he should enjoy it as it's a great circuit! :D

Hope to see some of the forum in attendance as always as it's a nice morale booster for us :D

Pete :)

Thanks Steve :thumbs:

Should be a good season now we have a better class to compete in and the guys are consistently improving their times!

Knockhill will be a new experience for Paul but provided it's dry, he should enjoy it as it's a great circuit! :D

Hope to see some of the forum in attendance as always as it's a nice morale booster for us :D

Pete :)

I'd really like to drive Knockhill one day, it looks like an ace track with a bit of everything thrown at the driver, and in a relatively short distance. Fast sweepers, the long S/F straight chicanes and blind corners/crests, that serious hairpin on a steep incline for extra fun.

There is a group going to Silverstone to add support; I was going to be leading them but a change in circumstance means you'll have to accept my apologies for not being in attendance. :(

OK, just got back from Nitron Racing Shocks http://www.nitron.co.uk/ We spent about 5 hours on the setup of the suspension in total. Started with the wheel alignment which turned out to be miles off as I was messing around with ride heights at Oulton Park, I now know its spot on. We then moved on to the corner weighting and it turned out my car was perfect already, so that was a good guess from me then!

Front to rear weight distibution is 54 front and 46 rear and the car now weighs in at 1368kg without fuel so I've managed to knock off 62kg. Thats with fibreglass doors, perspex side and rear windows, carbon bootlid, abs removed, interior removed but with a steel weld in cage and a heavier exhaust added, I reckon the exhaust on its own weighs a good 20kg, so a nice saving considering.

Forgot to mention, by doing a bit of ducting work on the oil coolers it knocked 20 degrees off the oil temperature at Oulton Park, just shows you how important it is.

Here are a few pics from today

I'd really like to drive Knockhill one day, it looks like an ace track with a bit of everything thrown at the driver, and in a relatively short distance. Fast sweepers, the long S/F straight chicanes and blind corners/crests, that serious hairpin on a steep incline for extra fun.

There is a group going to Silverstone to add support; I was going to be leading them but a change in circumstance means you'll have to accept my apologies for not being in attendance. :(

I'm definately looking forward to it, just hope it stays drive otherwise we're buggered!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update time. Had a problem with the turbo at Knockhill last weekend. The turbo decided to bend its shaft, no idea why it did it at the moment to be honest, only removed it just before I left tonight, I'll get it sent off to my turbo chaps at AET Turbos for them to look at it. Checked all of the datalogs from the Racepak and there's nothing untoward with temps, afr's, etc.

Anyway, I was looking for an excuse to put a smaller turbo on more suited to track use! I've gone for a Garrett GT4094 hybrid which has a GT42 compressor wheel which I'm hoping will still give me the top end power along with a 1.15 rear housing. Should be with me on Friday so will get it mapped next week sometime, will probably mean I'll need to run higher boost so I've still got big power if I need it. Probably go to 2 bar boost on V power and put a splash of race fuel in the tank when I'm on the track, lovely.

Thought I'd better say a thanks to all of the sponsors I've had this year so far:

Motul Oils, the best on the market

Triple T Services, if you need any cars transported around the world, he is the man

Porterfield Brakes, been using there pads for years now and love them, high recommended

Nitron Racing Shocks, one of the best on the market

APR Performance, carbon rear wing which really does work, I've noticed a big difference in rear end grip through the faster corners

Got a couple more in the pipeline at the moment as well, it all helps!

My new turbo arrived today, thought I would weigh it compared to the old unit. GT42RS 17kg, the GT4094hybrid 10kg, so thats another 7kg off the weight! I'm now wondering if I can go down to a 3" or 3.5" exhaust system to save some more weight. My current 4" system is very heavy but very quiet at 95db, hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Get that camera out Paul :) Whats the size of the ehaust side on the new turbo? Is its a like for like replacement or have you got to change the downpipe fitment anyway?

Haven't quite finished it yet, only turned up today with a temporary rear housing on it just so I can get it bolted on. I had to change the intercooler pipe around a bit but thats it. The rest is a straight fit. Which is nice for me! I keep thinking I'm going to small with it though, I did like the kick of the GT42RS but it was to laggy at some circuits.