Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my Nitron dampers fitted on Friday. I forgot take pics of the dampers on the car, I'll do that next time I have the wheels off.

When I had the dampers made I wanted to have the canisters mounted under the bonnet and in the boot area, I know from our RX7 and Steve/Ben's cars that having the canisters under the car makes it a right pain to adjust everything. Front was easy enough to do as the canisters can be fed through but the rears required cutting a hole in the boot floor. I had the Nitrons made with a suitable rubber grommet attached to the hose to seal the hole up again once fitted, you can see that in the pics next to the canisters. I'm very happy with the final result, lets hope they work well now!

Passenger side front mounted canister, nice and easy to adjust if needed

Drivers side front mounted, also removed abs/traction control relay box which frees up some room, and I've relocated the boost controller solenoid(not pictured)

Boot mounted canisters. Still got to remount battery and windscreen washer tank to the back seat area, its on the big list of things to do!

Top adjuster

Next job which I haven't been looking forward to is making the dash for the Racepak IQ3. I'll be keeping the stock dash pieces in place for the moment covered in sheet carbon, takes bloody ages to cut it all out and make it look nice! I've done these 2 bits so far, next is the centre part where the Racepak will attach to, I'll hopefully get that finished today with any luck.

New 4" 3 box quiet exhaust, cant believe how quiet it is now, no more noise worries at any race track now, it sounds like a milk float. Seriously I reckon its about 93db on idle, haven't tried it down the road yet. Quite a size that rear box though isn't it! Also the wastegate is recirced back into the exhaust and I have the option of having it open to, sweet.

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/mysuprapics/newexhaust.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/mysuprapics/newexhaust2.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/mysuprapics/newexhaust3.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/mysuprapics/newexhaust4.jpg

Hmm..indeed, that is one massive backbox :)

You will remember putting an Apexi N1 EVO on my car a few years back, always thought that was a quiet exhaust until I went single and the car was apparently 108db static (5Krpm).

Looking to quieten it down so that it is track friendly.

What would you recommend I do? Change the exhaust or simply do what you say here as with a screamer pipe I have no chance of passing the noise tests anyway:

I've got a removable recirc in place so whatever takes my fancy, I'll probably leave it recirc I think. I find it easier to concentrate if its quieter for some reason.

PM me if that works better.

Thanks

imi

Hmm..indeed, that is one massive backbox :)

You will remember putting an Apexi N1 EVO on my car a few years back, always thought that was a quiet exhaust until I went single and the car was apparently 108db static (5Krpm).

Looking to quieten it down so that it is track friendly.

What would you recommend I do? Change the exhaust or simply do what you say here as with a screamer pipe I have no chance of passing the noise tests anyway:

PM me if that works better.

Thanks

imi

Depends how quiet you want it? Easiest way is to just bolt a Tanabe Medalion on there.

Depends how quiet you want it? Easiest way is to just bolt a Tanabe Medalion on there.

Just want it to be track legal without being too quiet.

How about if we were to recirc the screamer pipe into the existing exhaust? would that sort it out in your opinion?

How about if we were to recirc the screamer pipe into the existing exhaust? would that sort it out in your opinion?

if you're hitting 108dB static, you won't affect that number by recirculating the screamer pipe, as you're not generating boost (or more specifically, not bleeding any excess boost through the screamer pipe) during a static test.

IMHO you'll need a quieter exhaust AND a recirc modification. Currently when you do bleed boost your screamer pipe (i.e. when WOT and under load) it will be even louder than your static reading.

Edited by SteveR
extra words added for clarity (see edit history)

Nope, as Ian says it'll make extra noisy. You'll need an exhaust for sure, the twin box version of exhaust systems I sell are being finished off right now, I wont know how loud they are until they've been fitted to a car though. Other than that Tanabe will definately do the job.

If you want your wastegate recirced I can arrange that for you, the company I use aren't local though....

OK, bit of an update, been working flat out trying to get my dash finished off, finally got the carbon all cut out and the Racepak, AFR gauge, boost controoler, Racelogic all wired up and fitted into the car. I'm pretty happy with the way its turned out for my first attempt at a carbon dash.

Also finished off remounting the boost controller

You need some new shoes. ;)

Nice dash, I like that for a first attempt.

I'll get a new pair tomorrow!

Yep, it looks better in the flesh to be honest and its not really meant to be a show and shine winner, more hardcore race car look and finish to go with the rest of it!