The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

Thought I'd better say a thanks to all of the sponsors I've had this year so far:

Motul Oils, the best on the market

Triple T Services, if you need any cars transported around the world, he is the man

Porterfield Brakes, been using there pads for years now and love them, high recommended

Nitron Racing Shocks, one of the best on the market

APR Performance, carbon rear wing which really does work, I've noticed a big difference in rear end grip through the faster corners

Got a couple more in the pipeline at the moment as well, it all helps!

Picked up another sponsor since the last event, AET Turbos. We swapped over to using them about 6 months ago after numerous problems with our previous supplier. It was a good decision as they are far better to deal with and are giving us track side support to. From the next Time Attack round onwards there bringing there van loaded with turbos and spares so if anything does happen we should be able to fix it, unlike at Knockhill where we were buggered!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GT40 is not that small though is it?, what size housing was on the GT42?

Not in the great scheme of things I suppose not. There's an EVO in Time Attack using a GT4094 hyrbid turbo like mine but with a smaller rear housing making 900bhp with 3 bar boost and race fuel. I'll be happy with 800bhp.

The GT42RS had a 1.15 rear housing, which is 1000bhp territory, I went down to a 1.01 for Knockhill but didn't really get to try out properly as it was wet and then the turbo shat itself.

Picked up another sponsor since the last event, AET Turbos. We swapped over to using them about 6 months ago after numerous problems with our previous supplier. It was a good decision as they are far better to deal with and are giving us track side support to. From the next Time Attack round onwards there bringing there van loaded with turbos and spares so if anything does happen we should be able to fix it, unlike at Knockhill where we were buggered!

Nice one Paul :thumbs:, be interesting to see if going down to a 3.5 inch exhaust increases your torque.

Nice one Paul :thumbs:, be interesting to see if going down to a 3.5 inch exhaust increases your torque.

You would have thought so, but might lose a bit of BHP at the top end. Its so annoying that you have to make them quiet to go on the track, if it was up to me I'd still have my Veilside Ti on there with 118db!

You would have thought so, but might lose a bit of BHP at the top end. Its so annoying that you have to make them quiet to go on the track, if it was up to me I'd still have my Veilside Ti on there with 118db!

Yeah its a PITA, makes track days a problem. Mine is around 115db since going 4inch but I do love the sound :D

Thats track days out for you then! What exhaust do you run?

HKS 4" Titanium with a 4inch mid pipe and I modified the y piece down pipe from the turbos to 4inch.

I have to find a track that doesnt have a DB limit :)

HKS 4" Titanium with a 4inch mid pipe and I modified the y piece down pipe from the turbos to 4inch.

I have to find a track that doesnt have a DB limit :)

There aren't that many anymore unfortunately, even the airfield days are few and far between now. I do know a guy who makes custom titanium exhausts, he can add boxes in if needed, still be hard to get it down to below 105db with a 4" titanium though.

Just finished off installing the GT4094 hyrbid turbo, AET Turbos welded on a 4" exhaust outlet flange in the right position so the downpipe would bolt straight on, so apart from the intercooler pipe connection which I had to remake it was a straight forward fit. Looks a bit lost in the engine bay after the 42!

Mapped it to 2 bar and feels pretty good, coming on boost about 700rpm earlier than the GT42RS, hasn't got the kick of the old turbo but should be alot more responsive so I should be able to make it up in/out of the corners plus running more boost and race fuel should even things out a bit.

Going to make up some kind of air duct to get some nice cool air going to it along with an airbox of sort to protect the filter from the heat. Cant wait for Sunday now, its going to be a hot one!

Darren and I did a bit of work on getting some cool air to the air filter area today. Basically took an air feed from the bumper around the intercooler area which feeds underneath the headlight using the stock air filter duct. Also cut a hole into the bonnet and fitted a naca duct, its all a bit temporary at the moment thogh until I get the duct moulded into the bonnet properly, but it should work! Also made a heatshield to go around the back of the air filter to keep some of the heat at bay. Its going to be a hot one tomorrow so should be a good test!

Darren and I did a bit of work on getting some cool air to the air filter area today. Basically took an air feed from the bumper around the intercooler area which feeds underneath the headlight using the stock air filter duct. Also cut a hole into the bonnet and fitted a naca duct, its all a bit temporary at the moment thogh until I get the duct moulded into the bonnet properly, but it should work! Also made a heatshield to go around the back of the air filter to keep some of the heat at bay. Its going to be a hot one tomorrow so should be a good test!

Any pics Paul?