Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sound good then ... hope that some of the guys bring their video cam with them to Oulton Park ... :D

Yep, will be video in car as usual. I will also be trying out some new software which will allow me to show all the information the dashboard sees on screen with the in car camera. So you'll see revs, speed, temperatures, g forces, etc. Cool or what!

Took the car for its first drive tonight, my god, I've forgotten how fast it is! Its so weird driving it without the wastegate scream, I can just hear a distant whine from the turbo. Gearbox/flywheel noises dominate now which aren't the best noises! Time to get that sequential box in there me thinks.

Took the car for its first drive tonight, my god, I've forgotten how fast it is! Its so weird driving it without the wastegate scream, I can just hear a distant whine from the turbo. Gearbox/flywheel noises dominate now which aren't the best noises! Time to get that sequential box in there me thinks.

Can you post a vid so i can get an idea of the noise?

RPS Carbon Carbon twin plate clutch, couldn't hear it before the interior was removed, its only because of this that its noisy. Should have all your bits here ready to collect tomorrow btw.

Great, what time tommorow is good? Gotta drop my wheels off for refurbing first thing but could be with you by 11-12?

Yep, will be video in car as usual. I will also be trying out some new software which will allow me to show all the information the dashboard sees on screen with the in car camera. So you'll see revs, speed, temperatures, g forces, etc. Cool or what!

juuhuuu ... cant't wait for that to come ;)

Well a bit of an update on the car, managed to get it all finished off Thursday afternoon, just in time for Time Attack. The car itself worked a treat for the full 2 days with no issues.

The AP Racing brakes are the best I've ever experienced, enormous stopping power time and time again.

The handling is a huge improvement on last year, I now have the confidence to push it in the faster corners with a really nice neutral balance to it. I still want to rose joint the suspension arms at some point though, (its never finished!) Definately noticed a difference in grip levels now I have the APR rear spoiler fitted. I didn't really get to play around with Nitron dampers as I was to busy learning the track.

The Racepak IQ3 dash is a marvel, for anyone doing plenty of track days it is a must, so easy to read everything along with lap timing, its perfect in every way.

The fuel swirl pot worked a treat to, meant I would run very low on fuel with no fuel starvation problems.

You can see a report from the Time Attack weekend here, I think we did quite well! http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=2361141#post2361141

Amazing thread and great work Paul, look forward to catching a few rounds of TA again this year.

Was going to ask about the carbon fibre fuse box cover, but found them on your site..! My god they are pricey..!!

Thanks mate. You can get some cheapo fuse box covers on ebay, dont look as good as though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update.

After the 1st round of Time Attack at Oulton Park I've decided to install a smaller rear housing on the GT42 turbo I'm currently using. Oulton being a bit more technical than some of the other circuits showed up some lag on a couple of the corners. I've changed it from a 1.15 to 1.01 AR so hopefully that'll make it a bit more responsive for Knockhill this weekend. If not I might drop down to a GT4094, not sure yet.

Also, I've off to Nitron Racing Shocks tomorrow to get the car corner weighted, it'll also give me the new weight of the car after the weight savings I've been performing on it, I'm hoping to have knocked off 50kg with the doors and boodlid. Unfortunately I've added some weight with the weld in cage and triple box exhaust, soon see tomorrow.