The mkiv Supra Owners Club

M5W TT's Single project

T2 MSW

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick review of my day :D

Day started off really Bad, got pulled by the police on the M1 just as I got on, could see they were behind me so was doing back on 70, got into some roadworks and the lanes moved so the hard shoulder was in use. Stupid copper put his lights on at that point, knowing I could not stop on the motorway I put my hazzards to acknowledge him but carried on through the roadworks at 50 and pulled in as soon as after the roadworks.

Got all the questions why I did not stop (erh Duh!!) etc etc, according to the copper 73 in a 70 :( Lucky for me they had to attend a accident on the road I had just been on so let me get on with my journey Phew :)

Picked RobSheffield up and off down to SRR.

1PM on the dyno and all looked good but as we did the first power run the boost was coming in way too late and full boost was not reached till 6800 rpm. Some changes were made and a few more runs done eventually running 501 bhp at the fly on 1 bar but its still seemed down on power and was spooling far too late.

Timing looks ok as we checked that, possibly a boost leak which needs to be checked (unfortunatly could not do this at the dyno). I would also like to do a compression test but on the road the car pulls really strong. unfortunatly just did not make a difference after 1 bar to the power 1.3 was sill 501 bhp.

Met Smarty on the way home, was good to meet you :)

Run back from sheffield to home was amazing though some ncie roads and the brakes are awesome now they are run in.

Easy enough to to a boost leak check mate - the nums' have a special tool (ooh err) which must have cost nearly £2 to make but does a brilliant job. Know what you're doing to make your own?

Got the idea from Ryan. Hopefully its just going back to Whifbitz to be checked over :)

I *may* be a jinx :innocent:

No way, you were ace morral support mate. Its not nice having your car on the dyno, you start worrying too much :)

6800rpm before full boost! definatly something a miss! thats about equal to a gt47-88 spool those crazy yanks use :blink:

Yeah its between the 6500 and 6800. The numbers just did not stack up. The bhp at the fly was approx 100 bhp down on what Ryan and Charlie expected.

Hopefully just a simple boost leak :)

501 is still a good number! cant wait to see the end result then once all is well! when you taking it back to whifbitz?

its not bad and it feels good but thats at the fly so only 420 at the wheels, should be closer to 500.

Well thats when comparing it to other T67's

TBH im not really bothered about the numbers as it feels really strong its the not being able to get it above 1 bar and the late boost that i worried about.

Hopefully have the car with Paul tomorrow.

Strange, ill be supprised if its a boost leak making it that laggy (the pipe would have to be hanging off and you would spot that) even when i had a huge split in my ic it still made reasonable boost.

Easy way to test for boost leaks is to cut up an old car/motorbike innertube and jubilee clip over the turbo intake, simple pump up with a foot pump and listen for leaks.

Strange, ill be supprised if its a boost leak making it that laggy (the pipe would have to be hanging off and you would spot that) even when i had a huge split in my ic it still made reasonable boost.

Easy way to test for boost leaks is to cut up an old car/motorbike innertube and jubilee clip over the turbo intake, simple pump up with a foot pump and listen for leaks.

Cheers for the advise jamie, would try this but I have not got the time at the min. Car is at pauls now so hopefully know more soon :)

I'm going to change what I put my money on with rob and go with the wastegate being stuck open as that fits more with only having 0.25 bar till well high in the rev range.

Another simple test with pauls removable reserc kit on the wastegate but it was way to hot to do this on the dyno :)

Any chance of taking me for a spin sometime? Never been a single and yours looked mint at the Trafford meet. I don't think I can make tonight because of work, so another time!

Don't do it, you will want one I garentee it :D other than that sure not a problem

Just had a conversation with Paul :D thankfully 99% sure it's a wastegate problem and requires a replacement part that should be there tomorrow. With any look back on the dyno in the afternoon :D

Paul did say he was amazed it made 500 bhp the way it was so it's looking good for a very nice power figure. To say I was not chasing numbers when I started this I really want to clear that 600 mark :D

from the blat I had at 500 it's going to be insane especially with the auto diff.

Must say a massive thank you to Paul for his efforts today especially seing as I just dumped the car on his door step and they are already busy :thumbs:

Just had a conversation with Paul :D thankfully 99% sure it's a wastegate problem and requires a replacement part that should be there tomorrow. With any look back on the dyno in the afternoon :D

Paul did say he was amazed it made 500 bhp the way it was so it's looking good for a very nice power figure. To say I was not chasing numbers when I started this I really want to clear that 600 mark :D

from the blat I had at 500 it's going to be insane especially with the auto diff.

Must say a massive thank you to Paul for his efforts today especially seing as I just dumped the car on his door step and they are already busy :thumbs:

Yeah I had to get my hands dirty today as Darren is away! I'll send you the bill for the manicure I'm having tonight :)

Yep, hopefully will be back on the dyno tomorrow with any luck, should be interesting to see what it'll do.

Yeah I had to get my hands dirty today as Darren is away! I'll send you the bill for the manicure I'm having tonight :)

Yep, hopefully will be back on the dyno tomorrow with any luck, should be interesting to see what it'll do.

What was up with it Paul? good luck on the dyno tomorrow.

What was up with it Paul? good luck on the dyno tomorrow.

There was a seating flange missing on the wastegate, didn't know it was missing until some boost was introduced unfortunately. I must say these Turbosmart wastegates are really light and compact, must be half the weight & size of my HKS wastegate, very nice, oh and half the price to!

I have charlie next to me :D and he said he is fine tomorrow for us to finish the car chap.

There was a seating flange missing on the wastegate, didn't know it was missing until some boost was introduced unfortunately. I must say these Turbosmart wastegates are really light and compact, must be half the weight & size of my HKS wastegate, very nice, oh and half the price to!

I just won a £5 bet :cool: