The mkiv Supra Owners Club

*** Post JAE 2008 discussions thread ***

Pixelfill

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware, everyone had a damn good time? I have not got one complaint off anyone to say they had a bad time or it didn't live up to expectations. I fact I was rather overwhelmed with the people that came up to me and said goodbye how much of a great time they had.

We did :D

Hi all, Pixelfill sent me a pm to read and digest this thread then post a reply.

1stly, Daman, under what sounds like extreme difficulty you were fabulous, just what I would have expected. And as ever "the usual suspects" the members stepped into the breach and helped out. Mersea was never going to be an easy location for JAE but it sounds like it was a good time.

Last year's cash was pre-sent to me by cheque from the club so I could cash it (I think) and we pre booked the beer / soft drinks then used Envy's transit to pick it up and a large number of volunteers to load / unload it along with the bread buns. The food we got from bookers and the same for the loading unloading etc. Then the usual suspects worked together as 1 team of mates like it sounds happened this year.

If I remeber rightly Mawby brought me some petty cash the year before.

JAE is a club event ran by 1 or 2 events co-ordinators with a big list of volunteers it is what we make of it. I needed time off from organising as it is a year long thing, and personally I think Damon went over and above this year. To say last year was better is easy as it was my 3rd year and you learn more and more each year. So lets remember its a club event and focus on the good things. I am sure Damon will be better and better every year. :D

So hat's off to all who attended, I missed seeing all my friends, carrying Steve Crane's megaphone and making new mates, hope to see you all again soon.

As for the Mod bashing, well we only pick fault when we don't like something, me included, but this is about the members who turn up and always has been IMHO. I am sure JB & co would have been there if they could.

Lastly I believe an agreement was made to have it at Mersea for at least 3 years.

See you at the Pod I hope:D

Well put tom, The megaphone lives on and diane missed the head ache tablets steve

I'm getting a little fed up by these 'why weren't the mods/event organisers there?!' posts, but my rant can wait.

Firstly, I'd like to publicly say I'm sincerely sorry to Ian R and especially to DamanC for not passing Ian's message on, saying he wouldn't be attending JAE due a house & job move rendering his presence impossible. The message dealt with trophies but I don't recall anything about food/drink nor was I aware (until Saturday) that Ian had apparently offered to get some if required. HOWEVER Daman spoke with Ian on Friday night and I then spoke with Ian and was told everything was sorted or there was a plan to get it sorted.

On Saturday afternoon Daman posted up in the events organiser's section about the wider issues he was having and I offered to make the 3 hours drive to go to JAE to help him, as I felt partially responsible and could tell that he could do with a hand. However he said "Everything is however in hand so no need for the help" so of course I stayed put.

I'm genuinely sorry if something I did/didn't do buggered something up and spoilt anyone's attendance. :( Thank you to the club members who chipped in and helped out in Daman's hour(s) of need.

I can't speak for the others, but as for why I wasn't there this weekend;

- my Supra is SORN'd this month, so I'd be in a 306TD

- I couldn't attend (at least not 'till very late on the Saturday) as I had prior arrangement, more specifically; a family commitment

- After recent expenditures, and needing to save for future ones, I can't afford to spend a weekend at JAE & drive that distance even if I were free and the Supra was on the road and I wanted to go

- I have a (step) family and it's not a family-friendly event, so I would have to choose between the two - even if I were free

At no stage did I say I'd be going to JAE, in fact quite the opposite! (And at no stage was it a problem.)

There is no obligation on me/others with club-related responsibility to attend JAE, or any other event for that matter. Nor do I see why there should be; we don't make the club, everyone does. If instead we did have a requirement to be at certain events, I'd stop giving up my time for the benefit of others. Its a volunteer position - one that can have you ripping your hair out at times and bending over backwards for people you've often never met - not a paid job.

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

Sorry, Ian's Chilli was yummy :D But it was the pepper that made it, so pain stakingly dispensed ;)

Vicki x

And that was reason of Havards gases, not wieners or strange black liquid he was drinking ( I still believe we was offerent engine coolant with liqurish additive :D )

This is a big club, with alot members. Maybe appointing a group of dedicated Events personnel whos sole job it is to run meets etc? 2 pence chipped in, I thankyou

I think we covered this already mate, we have such a group, they are called 'events organisers'.

Regarding future JAE's. It will be in mersea again. For the next two years in fact. The guy in charge, it was his first year. They made mistakes, yes, but I am very confident they will learn from them and improve on what has been a successful weekend. The site itself is absolutely fantastic, it far exceeds any other ground I have been too. I am 100% confident that not only has it not done JAE any harm but has built upon previous years success's and it will encourage people to make that little more effort when turning out in future.

Also before I pass out from exhaustion, really great to see the regulars and finally put many a faces to names :)

One final thought to leave you with. We apparently won 3rd best stand of JAE 2008. Something I am very proud to say.

Edited by DamanC (see edit history)

Driving directions to Mersea Island, United Kingdom

464 mi – about 7 hours 54 mins

^^ Forgive me for not putting the effort in to attend :blink:

Personally, I think JAE is no longer a national event as a direct result of the location. Indeed in previous years it's been ludicrously biased to the southerners but this year was a piss take too far for me! It is a regional event for the greater London area IMO.

In protest and in disgust when I saw the location some months back, I decided I would not attend. Simple as that really.

A static car event does not excite me enough to spend the time and money for an 8hr drive each way.

I think if a Japanese car event is going to be truly national it should really be no further south than Manchester ;)

Members should (and do) make club events. Not the mods. If I'm at an event I put every effort in to help out and add to peoples enjoyment where possible.... but by the same token that's not because I'm a mod - I expect everyone to do the same. Many hands make light work and all that! Again yes we have events organisers to take responsibility for such events and as such they're expected to take the lead over everyone else at and leading up to events. But they are by no means superhuman and everybody should chip in.

Make of that what you will.

Cheers,

Brian.

Maybe next time something like music selction could be put to a previous club poll and purhaps have it structured in hourly sets ie. 8pm-9pm Cheesy Hour and so on, so people would know when to avoid the "dance floor" as it were.

That never really works, you just have to go with the flow...

Hopefully next year I can get the Saturday night off, it's been a few years since I last went to JAE. If so, happy to help out in any way - if you want an event to work, you can't expect it all to be laid out on a platter for you - roll up your sleeves and pitch in :)

So in summary Tom is better than Daman when it comes to organising JAE and SteveR and IanR ran off with the money... right, let's move on.

That's out of order, Daman did a dam good job under very difficult circumstances and we do not know what happened with the money.

...As for the money... we'll see where their postcard comes from I guess.

The money is in the club account, where it always has been; I wan't going so why would I have anything to do with it? Only Branners has the abilty to withdraw funds AFAIK; I certainly can't! Less of the mud slinging michael, even if it is tongue-in-cheek! :tongue:

Many many thanks to Probrox for the lift to and from JAE this year. Believe it or not it is possible to get 3 people in a Supra and a all their camping equipment. :)

I thought the organisation of the club stand was excellent. I realise there were issues but as a member I felt well looked after. The food was great, big thanks to all those involved in that.

Had a great time Damon and Dibbley did a great job and thanks Steve and co for the food was top notch

Cheers to Probrox for the absinth (sp) i'm still in pain from it :) Damon and Dibbley did a fantastic job with it all, well enjoyed it. One of the highlights was Dibbley shouting swears at the pikey primera owners over the megaphone lol :D

Cant help but laugh at the fact i woke up sunday morning covered in perment marker! haha that will teach me to pass out completely wasted in the marquee. (im not drinking wiskey again!)

Thanks for all the comments guys glad people did have a good time, All i can say is now Daman and myself know what needs to be done and how much organisation it takes we can make next year bigger and better and hopefully more people will attend and enjoy it as much as everyone did this year.

you know breakfast sunday morning was the best full english you've ever had too ;)

Cant help but laugh at the fact i woke up sunday morning covered in perment marker! haha that will teach me to pass out completely wasted in the marquee. (im not drinking wiskey again!)

Thanks for all the comments guys glad people did have a good time, All i can say is now Daman and myself know what needs to be done and how much organisation it takes we can make next year bigger and better and hopefully more people will attend and enjoy it as much as everyone did this year.

you know breakfast sunday morning was the best full english you've ever had too ;)

:thumbs: Yes that was the best cooked breakfast I'd ever had. Well, from JAE anyway ;)

Shame you couldn't get 'The Swift' into that tent though. Maybe you should've just reversed and gassed him!

You, Daman and the rest did a great job. I just hope that if you do it again, we'll get more involved. Its all good fun anyway :)

Plus, it was really good to meet you, Blackie. Thanks for the loan of the hoody :D

Cant help but laugh at the fact i woke up sunday morning covered in perment marker!

I belive the statement on your forehead to be true lol (or was that the primera lots passed out drunkard?)

Thanks for the loan of the hoody :D

No problem mate, I enjoyed adding a bit of style to your life :D

Broomie, the mission to the C.O.D was genius by you sir, Bit of a giggle(pm if you have forgot ;)):D

Edited by Blackie (see edit history)

I had a great time, few areas of concern but they were not enough to spoil it for me. I am sure the money aspect will be sorted and never doubted that.

Daman you done a fantastic job (I am sure there was a lot done by other mods behind the scenes leading up to JAE so thanks to them too) and also to the rest of the guys, I helped out at JAE 2006 and enjoyed it, never this year as I was too far gone for to be able to help. :innocent: I never got to say thanks to you before I left as was in a rush to beat the bridge closure but big thumbs up from me. :thumbs:

If I was to pick a fault I would say it was the DJ that was hired on Saturday night, it was truly awful however that was easily sorted I went off to another part of JAE. I knwo the northwest groupies enjoyed the music though as they played musical chairs, however I found it strange you guys were moving the chairs away from the tent. :D

I am in so much pain today, I am like a beetroot with the sun. I am walking like I have followed through after a fart.

If I was to pick a fault I would say it was the DJ that was hired on Saturday night, it was truly awful however that was easily sorted I went off to another part of JAE. I knwo the northwest groupies enjoyed the music though as they played musical chairs, however I found it strange you guys were moving the chairs away from the tent. :D

NW party possy!! The thing that p!$$ed me off about the D&B Dj was he had to turn down "Twist em out" :D DA DA! dadadada DDDAAAAA!!! Loved it! Getting "Raided" was so funny :D

EDIT: I know D&b is not to evryones taste but i think Damon pulled him in at short notice, On the morning infact i believe

Edited by Blackie (see edit history)