The mkiv Supra Owners Club

*** Post JAE 2008 discussions thread ***

Pixelfill

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be appropriate to take into account the reduced number of attendees at this years event. In the past two years I believe there were over one hundred cars on the Sunday, but I do not believe as many turned up this year. Would it be worth conducting a poll to establish why people did not attend.

I think it would be good to find out people's reasons for not going. But I would like members to bask in the enjoyment of the event first before we do a post mortem on it.

After what appears to have been a great weekend for most its would be a shame for it to become a disection of the problems. Especially with the effort those who organised and helped put in.

Lets save all the 'problems' for later in the week when we can start a new thread.

JB

Guest CoolsBlue
Do you want mods or don't you?

I take it you won't want Jurgen to come along in his new GT-R then?

i know, dumb isnt she, oh the lack of mods blah blah blah, 'oh its a mkiv supra event only' who does she think she is trying to talk down at a mod, end of the day hes still a mod, wether he owns a supra or not.

i know, dumb isnt she, oh the lack of mods blah blah blah, 'oh its a mkiv supra event only' who does she think she is trying to talk down at a mod, end of the day hes still a mod, wether he owns a supra or not.

Sorry I think your post is totally out of order and I think you have misunderstood the point that Dragonlady was trying to make. From what I can gather she was not saying that Supra pod should be only for MKIV supra's but just that it's not a massive Japanese event with other car clubs present like JAE is.

Comments like that are inappropriate for this thread and where you even at JAE???

Guest CoolsBlue
Sorry I think your post is totally out of order and I think you have misunderstood the point that Dragonlady was trying to make. From what I can gather she was not saying that Supra pod should be only for MKIV supra's but just that it's not a massive Japanese event with other car clubs present like JAE is.

Comments like that are inappropriate for this thread and where you even at JAE???

time for cooooolsblue to get the hell outta here me thinks, off to play splintercell, shall continue this chat with YOU in the new thread:)

also am i not allowed to missunderstand something? if its not acceptable a mod will sort it out:)

I'm not disrespecting mods, after all they are the same as you and I so how can I talk down to them.

However my comment was merely picking up on an important point mentioned in BazzaGT4's post as quoted below.

I have been Chairman of the GT4OC for many years and always expected a good team of mods to events like JAE as its the biggest marketing event of the year and a huge chance to show off your club, way way too much for 1 or even 2 people to undertake, but hey every club is different.

Branner I was only contributing feedback on the event as requested, however should you wish me to wait until a new thread is formed no problem.

Just an FYI so that no-one feels upset, let-down, dirty or robbed on the day but ,AFAIK, there will be some non-Supra cars attending and running at Suprapod.

If anyone feels that they need an ultra-elitist mkiv only event then please, don't attend and take the time saved to set your own event up.

Ooh, so much to say and such little time for me to post before I go back to sleep!!:D:d

I'm confused as to why people are complaining about a lack of mods - did some threads need locking or infraction points need handing out?

Aren't the mods just regular members that help run the forum and as a result get slightly more buttons?

Anyone who was at JAE could have helped out, any member could have offered help before the event and by the sounds of it some "normal" members did exactly that. What was required that only someone with a red or orange name could have done?

It's like when people complain that there are no meets in a specific location or that nobody has done this or that... change that by doing it yourself.

Obviously the finance side of it might be a factor should the club say they will pay for something and then don't but that sounds unlikely - so what's the actual problem?

No mods came to help me cut the grass this weekend, should I complain to them about this?

Hi Michael.........:wave:

I think you have some good questions there but as a member of a couple of years or so I must have got some things wrong. Last year JAE ran like clockwork and although there were a couple of issues it ran a damn sight better than the event I have just been to. I was of the impression that this club had at around 8 moderators and a few events organisers and that the club had a hierachial structure both on the internet AND at meetings.

Last year the event was attented by a large number of mods and everything went well, we even won the best club stand. What I have just seen and someone please tell me if I'm wrong, is Daman C have the whole responsiblilty of this event dropped on his shoulders, he spent £1500 of his own money and never really got a minute to relax and enjoy the event. We arrived to be told that there was no drink at that time and that Ian R hadn't turned up.....:blink::blink: We were later told that Steve R and Ian R had agreed that Ian was not coming at all and that Steve had not told Daman? Why was this chain of communication not made a lot simpler by just talking to Daman directly?

Did you put your hand in your pocket or go out and collect things to ease his load?

Yes mate. I offered him a grand or two to get him out of the mess he was in.

I think the point here is that the Mods are supposed to be members that go above and beyond the call of duty to help out with the club. Bit like sergeants in the army if you will (you don't really expect your sergeant to come cut your grass, but you do expect him to come lead the damn parade). Naturally people look to someone for leadership and in events gone past people have looked upon the Mods to be those leaders/organisers. FWIW it appears to me that this particular event has been hung out to dry by not only this clubs administration but a great many others. This is IMHO because of the event organisers choice of venue.

Great post....;);)

Dragonlady, what is your issue with the moderators here?

I've clearly stated the events are not run by us, it's run by the events organisers. Money was taken for food and drink for those that prepaid and those did not have to pay extra for the food and drink that Daman had arranged. Those that did not pre-pay will have been charged for food and drink (this is where the extra expense might have come in if more turned up than expected). Refunding isn't an issue, but Daman should not be out of pocket on any food/drink as these will have been paid for by those who didn't pre-pay. There's probably some extra costs involved, but thats to be expected.

The events guys are fully aware of the arrangements so cannot see why you have an issue. Daman doesn't appear to, at least from the info he's posted this evening.

Darryl, Dragonlady is not alone in her feelings on this issue.

I had a great JAE in truth as the event is what you make it!! I personally expected a presence from the moderators and the events organisers, there were times during this weekend where decisions needed to be made and there was no one to take responsibility. Daman has done a wonderful job and he gets my sincere thanks and a massive amount of respect from me personally as I would have lost my rag within the first hour that things started to go wrong. He has been back and forth to the cash and carry, ASDA, attended a wedding on the Saturday afternoon. I can't believe for one minute that he has enjoyed this event but surely he will clarify this himself as I can only state what I saw and heard there.

On the whole I had a great time, met some new members, was disappointed that a lot of my other favourite members didn't attend. I lost my car on the Thurday night as the garage hadn't fixed my ball joint problem. After sulking and saying that we were not going I changed my mind on the Friday morning and took the BMW. The drive there took an eternity and was a lot longer than I was expecting. We get there to sounds of chaos and no food, we were on the wrong pitch and nobody had any real answers. The JAE events people tried to extend our patch but this was during Damans absence which left me and Ian Ian making decisions that may not have been to everyones liking. We got pi$$ed and ate well and as all members do on events like this, had a really good laugh at times. Daman and Nikita came to our group to apologise to us as they felt that we had not had a good time, this for me was quite upsetting as it showed that they obviously felt like thay had let people down and they were quite clearly stressed out and out of pocket. They were told how much we appreciated their efforts. We left at mid day today and only got back 6 hours later with only one toilet stop. I am of the opinion that this event was good as so many people helped out and had a great laugh, it just could have been so much better with a bit of guidance and more brains think about all of the possibilities.

Thanks again to Daman, Nikita, Dibbley, Steve and Diane Crane.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

Just an FYI so that no-one feels upset, let-down, dirty or robbed on the day but ,AFAIK, there will be some non-Supra cars attending and running at Suprapod.

If anyone feels that they need an ultra-elitist mkiv only event then please, don't attend and take the time saved to set your own event up.

Apologies what is AFAIK? Not very good on text talk :(

Anyone see the tumbleweed? This event had failure written all over it. Call me mr look on the bad side but the Mods that would otherwise be smoozing with the public weren't there. Every year other than this one most of the MODs made the effort to be at JAE. The fact that they actually will be at Supra pod says it all. JAE was written off this year as a non event. Thats why I didn't bother with it and probably why the other 70 odd cars that went last year didn't bother (of which obviously all of the mods were part of the 70).

I for one am a bit disappointed that this event didn't get supported as now next year it'll be dead in the water and the biggest event in the japanese tuning car world will have to be laid to rest.

A show of force from our Mods and the Mods of other clubs may have secured this events future. As it is they have nailed the lid on the coffin.

Edited by dangerous brain (see edit history)

The location was a long way away, but I personally liked Mersea.

The company was fantastic (as always) and a big thank you to Daman and crew for all their hard work over the week-end.

As for the funding issue, when we arrived the info that we were given (which I accept may be inaccurate) was that someone had been given the food and drink fund but they hadn’t turned up and no-one could get hold of them. Later it was suggested (again don’t know if it is true) that unrelayed messages between some individuals were the reason that there was no food and drink and why Daman had to put his hand into his own pocket. H. did offer to make the club a significant loan towards food and drink, but this was declined.

The musical ‘entertainment’ wasn’t to everyone’s taste. Sorry, but with lyrics such as ‘…now suck my d!ck…’ belting out, it’s no wonder there were complaints about the noise.

Only my opinion, but I see Mods as senior club representatives and as with any company, club, organization I think at major events senior reps should be present.

Overall a great week-end, I will definitely consider going back to Mersea next year , hopefully in the Supra!

Vicki x

Anyone see the tumbleweed? This event had failure written all over it. Call me mr look on the bad side but the Mods that would otherwise be smoozing with the public weren't there. Every year other than this one most of the MODs made the effort to be at JAE. The fact that they actually will be at Supra pod says it all. JAE was written off this year as a non event. Thats why I didn't bother with it and probably why the other 70 odd cars that went last year didn't bother (of which obviously all of the mods were part of the 70).

I for one am a bit disappointed that this event didn't get supported as now next year it'll be dead in the water and the biggest event in the japanese tuning car world will have to be laid to rest.

A show of force from our Mods and the Mods of other clubs may have secured tis events future. As it is they have nailed the lid on the coffin.

Whilst I agree with you in principle Bry, I would suggest that Fuggles killed it by "centralising" it in Essex. I had intended going at the last minute, but something cropped up :cry:

Mike

A show of force from our Mods and the Mods of other clubs may have secured tis events future. As it is they have nailed the lid on the coffin.

The Mods are NOT the club. The members are the club. If 70 odd cars didn't show then that was the decision of the members. It's not like we asked them not to go.

The blame can be thrown at any number of things. The location, the credit crunch, the number of old members who no longer come on here, whatever.

The lack of Mods is all down to personal circumstances not a group decision to abandon JAE. Personally, aside from my dislike of static events, I'm doing a lot of travelling at the moment. I also don't earn a lot of money so I have to throw fuel money at the journeys most important to me.