The mkiv Supra Owners Club

*** Post JAE 2008 discussions thread ***

Pixelfill

I couldn't go as the Radiator failure meant that I took the time fixing instead of enjoying. I will say though... having read all the thread, Michael... you are such cock!

i am by no means a michael fan but what did he do, i read all the thread too:search:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CoolsBlue
i am by no means a michael fan but what did he do, i read all the thread too:search:

i get what thay guy means to michael:p(joke) but he really didnt say nothing wrong on the thread...:blink:

I couldn't go as the Radiator failure meant that I took the time fixing instead of enjoying. I will say though... having read all the thread, Michael... you are such cock!

I'm sorry, but if you can't understand the point Michael is trying to make it is not his fault, his points are all valid. Having been to the previous 2 JAE events, the first as a lowly member, the second as an events co-ordinator I think I am well placed to say that no-one can expect the events moderators or moderators to cope on their own. The club stand is just that, a stand for the club, and each and every member can contribute. At the previous 2 years events I think I can hand on heart say that over the entire 2 weekends (and I was there Friday to Sunday) I had about 2 hours to wander around the show. The rest was spent behind the bar / shop or assisting in some other way, I didn't complain as I had volunteered to do so - in order to take the pressure off the "mods" I noticed that a number of other members did the same. However I noticed a larger number of members who did sweet FA.

I'm sorry that I was unable to atend this year, yes due in part to the distance, but also due to not knowing early enough when the event was to be held - I had a wasted holiday booked in July this year. As it happens even if I had planned to come I wouldn't have been able as a higher being had much different ideas!

To those of you who had a good weekend I'm pleased, to those of you who didn't I'm sorry, but forgive me if I have little sympathy for you - had you had the weekend I've just had I'm sure you'd have chosen JAE!

Mike

Obviously the finance side of it might be a factor should the club say they will pay for something and then don't but that sounds unlikely - so what's the actual problem?

Michael if you look at the original posts for JAE club members you will find that members paid £15 each for food and drink into the club's bank account, however it would appear that for whatever reason this money was not passed on to Daman.

I must admit that I am now confused as to the hierarchical structure of this forum. I did not realise that Mods were just merely interested in reviewing and monitoring peoples posts to ensure that nothing inappropriate is posted.

In fact it was my understanding that any "National" events have to go through the mods for approval, and only local events could be organised by individual members without the moderators approval. However thank you for clarifying the situation and I now understand the functional position of each role on the forum.

Just out of curosity please can someone advise as to whom has access to the club funds? I understand from last year is that the funds paid in by the club members was passed to Tom so that he could purchase the food and drink, however it is my understanding that this did not happen this year.

Homer I understand your comments about why none of the mods attended although I must admit I am still a little surprised as members attending the event came from Cornwall, North West and East Midlands, and therefore for them distance was not so much an issue.

Edited by Pixelfill
fixed the quote (see edit history)

Why do you say that?

(I'm not disagreeing, just curious)

Forever the opinion without the experience...

Mowing your lawn FFS, you should have been in Colchester buying some Booze :rolleyes:

Oh I'm sorry, did I say cock..; I meant cook, someone told me he was in charge of the barby (bloody strongbow... I mean spell checker!)

Edited by vvteye (see edit history)

Michael if you look at the original posts for JAE club members you will find that members paid £15 each for food and drink into the club's bank account, however it would appear that for whatever reason this money was not passed on to Daman.

I must admit that I am now confused as to the hierarchical structure of this forum. I did not realise that Mods were just merely interested in reviewing and monitoring peoples posts to ensure that nothing inappropriate is posted.

In fact it was my understanding that any "National" events have to go through the mods for approval, and only local events could be organised by individual members without the moderators approval. However thank you for clarifying the situation and I now understand the functional position of each role on the forum.

Just out of curosity please can someone advise as to whom has access to the club funds? I understand from last year is that the funds paid in by the club members was passed to Tom so that he could purchase the food and drink, however it is my understanding that this did not happen this year.

Homer I understand your comments about why none of the mods attended although I must admit I am still a little surprised as members attending the event came from Cornwall, North West and East Midlands, and therefore for them distance was not so much an issue.

Last year Tom had some funds left over from a previous event - the rest was out of Toms pocket and was billed to the club after the event.

Dragonlady, what is your issue with the moderators here?

I've clearly stated the events are not run by us, it's run by the events organisers. Money was taken for food and drink for those that prepaid and those did not have to pay extra for the food and drink that Daman had arranged. Those that did not pre-pay will have been charged for food and drink (this is where the extra expense might have come in if more turned up than expected). Refunding isn't an issue, but Daman should not be out of pocket on any food/drink as these will have been paid for by those who didn't pre-pay. There's probably some extra costs involved, but thats to be expected.

The events guys are fully aware of the arrangements so cannot see why you have an issue. Daman doesn't appear to, at least from the info he's posted this evening.

Got loads of pictures, haven't got software to re-size them for here (old laptop got nicked in burglary

Have put them in my FaceBook account... search under 'Pamela Reeves'!

EDIT: Try this... http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=730997804

(Still trying to work out how to add the video!)

Added you as a friend.

I don't really have any friends on Facebook:p

ONLY BECAUSE I DON'T USE IT !!!

Having been to the previous 2 JAE events, the first as a lowly member, the second as an events co-ordinator I think I am well placed to say that no-one can expect the events moderators or moderators to cope on their own. The club stand is just that, a stand for the club, and each and every member can contribute. At the previous 2 years events I think I can hand on heart say that over the entire 2 weekends (and I was there Friday to Sunday) I had about 2 hours to wander around the show. The rest was spent behind the bar / shop or assisting in some other way, I didn't complain as I had volunteered to do so - in order to take the pressure off the "mods" I noticed that a number of other members did the same. However I noticed a larger number of members who did sweet FA.

Mike

Mike as you are aware Ian and I have no issues with the expectation that club members help out at JAE - with food, bar etc... I do feel for Daman though as the preparations running up to JAE regarding the availability of funds for the drink and food did appear to leave him high and dry. But as I mentioned earlier thanks to his efforts I think everyone had a really good JAE.

Forever the opinion without the experience...

Ah, I get you now, you're wrong of course but I can understand where you are coming from.

Even though you are wrong.

Oh I'm sorry, did I say cock..; I meant cook, someone told me he was in charge of the barby (bloody strongbow... I mean spell checker!)

Yes, you did say that word, maybe now you'll see what the mods are here to help with.

Dragonlady, what is your issue with the moderators here?

As mentioned in my earlier mail I have no issue with moderators, I just merely did not understand there role with respect to the club. I have now been educated and understand the role that each member plays, and what the expectation is of each of them.

Mike as you are aware Ian and I have no issues with the expectation that club members help out at JAE - with food, bar etc... I do feel for Daman though as the preparations running up to JAE regarding the availability of funds for the drink and food did appear to leave him high and dry. But as I mentioned earlier thanks to his efforts I think everyone had a really good JAE.

I would count you both amongst the number who volunteered freely in both years so my previoius comment wasn't aimed at you directly. :)

Mike

I think a great weekend was had by all and to Daman and his crew (too many to mention but you know who you are) a massive thank you.

Do not know the "in's and out's" about the problems experienced or indeed why they happened in the first place, but it's such a shame as it meant that some members spent the weekend running around making sure everyone else was ok and not enjoying it themselves.

From my point of view it wasn't that I expected the mod's to be there to "sort anything out" but merely to be there as it's one of the club's biggest events of the year. I understand that people have other arrangements but everyone other than Daman? I don't think that location should be used as a reason as most of the people there, travelled a long way to do so. If however the general concensus is that the location was crap (from my point of view it was a very very long way) then maybe a re-think before next year for the JAE team.

Thanks again for a great weekend :D

From my point of view it wasn't that I expected the mod's to be there to "sort anything out" but merely to be there as it's one of the club's biggest events of the year. I understand that people have other arrangements but everyone other than Daman? I don't think that location should be used as a reason as most of the people there, travelled a long way to do so. If however the general concensus is that the location was crap (from my point of view it was a very very long way) then maybe a re-think before next year for the JAE team.

For most of us the location (and therefore cost) involved was the issue. It'd have been a long and expensive weekend which none of us could either afford both financially or time wise.

Personally I'm not a fan of static events like this where there's no track involved so can't justify the expense of going. Got enough on sorting out and attending all the other events the club is attending later this year so my 'hard earned' cash will be going to those.

Still, an excellent job by Daman and the other reliable folks for helping out when needed :thumbs:

For most of us the location (and therefore cost) involved was the issue. It'd have been a long and expensive weekend which none of us could either afford both financially or time wise.

I can understand this as it has been a very expensive weekend with the distance involved, but I chose to go for the experience as it was my first major event with my Supra. As to whether I would go that far again, not too sure on that one.

I just think given the location, if everyone had thought the same there would have been very few MKIV attendee's this year. And from what I can gather there where many more at Peterborough last year.

There's information we need to get from Daman before we can start discussing the problems.

However, just looking at the club cheque book theres been about £2,000 spent without taking in to account the food. I think its safe to say funding has not been an issue.

There does need to be a discussion around the food costs and what happened to lead Daman to put his hand in his pocket, and that will be done seperately.

Moderators generally make it to events, it is not always possible to be there but thats why we have events organisers. As has been stated, we are a club and a community. Therefore you all act as the club when at an event. It does not need a moderator to tell people how good the club is and what the benefits are.

I asked the question earlier about the general organisation (ie the people who ran the whole show) and the venue as its a very new venue for a very popular event. Its location and 'style' has put a lot of members off going, just as the move to Peterborough did. I need that information to help decide where the club puts its funds next year.

It seems people enjoyed themselves this year and so it may be worth considering again next year, but Im not sure the bickering and inappropriate finger pointing is going to help that decision.

JB

Do not know the "in's and out's" about the problems experienced or indeed why they happened in the first place, but it's such a shame as it meant that some members spent the weekend running around making sure everyone else was ok and not enjoying it themselves.

As Mike (Pixelfill) has already mentioned, at previous JAEs lots of club members have helped out and spent whole days 'running around' and helping other people out. Rob Sheff and I stood all day on the club stand handing out beers and selling stuff the year I went, and we did it because it was fun and we were happy to help people. At that year's event I remember countless people driving back and forth to tesco getting more supplies.

Maybe a few people suggesting there should have been more help should have actually helped out a bit themselves? We are an internet forum, not a hire service - the club is run by the members.

This is not aimed at you directly, just picking up on something you have said.

Well, just back from the best JAE ever :cool: This was my 6th JAE and 1st with you guys and although I sensed a bit of hassle it was kept under wraps. My good lady and Ihad the best time ever with the Supra club, I have made a few friends and hope I never bored anyone about the Toyots sprint series too much :eyebrows:

I have been Chairman of the GT4OC for many years and always expected a good team of mods to events like JAE as its the biggest marketing event of the year and a huge chance to show off your club, way way too much for 1 or even 2 people to undertake, but hey every club is different.

JAE for us is a chance to meet up with old friends and have a drink with people you havent maybe seen for a year, so to spend all day by your car is not our bag but being new to the club and having so many others to see we feel bad we didnt help out as much as we should have. we will bear this in mind at future events but it was soooooo nice just to kick back and enjoy JAE from the members prospective instead of doing all the organising of the GT4OC folk.

Once again big thank you from Netty and myself for the best JAE weekend ever.

Regards

Guest CoolsBlue
Maybe a few people suggesting there should have been more help should have actually helped out a bit themselves?

:Pling:WELL SAID:Pling:

It seems people enjoyed themselves this year and so it may be worth considering again next year, but Im not sure the bickering and inappropriate finger pointing is going to help that decision.

JB

It may be appropriate to take into account the reduced number of attendees at this years event. In the past two years I believe there were over one hundred cars on the Sunday, but I do not believe as many turned up this year. Would it be worth conducting a poll to establish why people did not attend.

As Mike (Pixelfill) has already mentioned, at previous JAEs lots of club members have helped out and spent whole days 'running around' and helping other people out. Rob Sheff and I stood all day on the club stand handing out beers and selling stuff the year I went, and we did it because it was fun and we were happy to help people. At that year's event I remember countless people driving back and forth to tesco getting more supplies.

Maybe a few people suggesting there should have been more help should have actually helped out a bit themselves? We are an internet forum, not a hire service - the club is run by the members.

This is not aimed at you directly, just picking up on something you have said.

There were a small group who went above and beyond the entire weekend and this needs a huge thank you, however myself and a number of other club members did stints on the bar so I don't think this is any different to any other year.

It was a very successful event and I feel that the club did itself proud.