Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Small update -

The car went down to Vince's place last week, and I'm hoping to have it back in about a month or so. There's actually quite a bit to do what with all the wiring in there. Guy who did the alarm fitting needs shooting, what a mess. Anyway, most of it is easily sorted, will just take time. I'll need to do the fog light mod behind the dash but that will be done here. The rear light looms have been modified by Heckler (:thumbs:), so I just need to wire in the oem switch and the tell tale light.

So, should have some nice pics for you soon. In the meantime here's one I took of the doorcard (sorry for phone quality), which I hadn't seen till I was there. Looks stunning, very pleased with how it turned out.

Doorcard.jpg

Took the car for a test drive yesterday. Not good. She's undriveable, with no power steering (not sure on that yet), and a clutch that is both too heavy and too fierce. This wretched clutch will be the death of me. Biting point is way too low so its like an on/off switch. Also, it sounds horrible. Clattery, grindy and very loud. Is this normal?

The clutch sounds quite normal for a twin plate. The power steering could be down to the fact the PS ecu is not plugged in and you are running max weighting all the time. Have you filled and bled the PS system?

The clutch sounds quite normal for a twin plate. The power steering could be down to the fact the PS ecu is not plugged in and you are running max weighting all the time. Have you filled and bled the PS system?

Actually I do have a gash wire on the loom which I meant to ask you about. Not touched the system yet. This part was done somewhere else, so I just assumed all was ok. Thing is, there appears to be fluid coming from the reservoir top, and its on the hoses too, but no discernable leak. I'll check it out when the cars back.

As for the clutch, well I don't need a twin plate you're right Jamie. Its all a bit ott for what I need. Just want an oem clutch that will hold the torque, so maybe try and fit one for a SBC or similar, and mate it to a custom flywheel. Still gathering info on this.

Just read through the last few pages, I thought you were virtually finished in April. Sorry you have been having a few teething problems with it but press on you're almost there now.

My clutch is pretty much as you describe yours: "both too heavy and too fierce, Clattery, grindy and very loud" you end up hating it if you get stuck in traffic but get it on a track and you will love it

Might have an easy ish solution to my flywheel/clutch problem.

Spoke to a chap at work who has done a 1uz conversion in his mk3 supra for a drift car. He's using an oem mr2 turbo flywheel, which he says has been perfect with no issues. He tested it countless times and since installation has had zero problems. All he needed to do was re-drill the pcd to make it fit. It was a fleeting conversation, but I'll get some more info when I can from him regarding what clutch he uses.

So, I'll try and source a second hand flywheel and see how I get on with this mod. Anyone know of a breaker by any chance?

Which MR2? I have a very early 90's MR2 turbo engine here, not sure if it still has its flywheel. So long as it's only the clutch cover bolt PCD that needs changing it sounds good. You probably wouldn't want to start drilling more holes for the crank flange, in fact that's probably impossible as they'd run into one another. A new flywheel probably isn't that dear Ed.

As I say, a bit more info is needed from my colleague. I wasn't sure about the re-drilling either, but he seemed to be 100% on it. I believe it is the crank bolt pattern and I said surely that would compromise strength. I wanted to get a cheapo second that I could have a look at. If its a no go with fitment, at least I may have something to work with regarding getting one made (?).

As I say, a bit more info is needed from my colleague. I wasn't sure about the re-drilling either, but he seemed to be 100% on it. I believe it is the crank bolt pattern and I said surely that would compromise strength. I wanted to get a cheapo second that I could have a look at. If its a no go with fitment, at least I may have something to work with regarding getting one made (?).

Try Rogue Motorsport. They should have a couple lying around somewhere. Roger, that chap that did all the dev work on Thor's V8 install (inc custom Flywheel) no longer works at Thor. I'm sure he will help you for a small remuneration ;)

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

Try Rogue Motorsport. They should have a couple lying around somewhere. Roger, that chap that did all the dev work on Thor's V8 install (inc custom Flywheel) no longer works at Thor. I'm sure he will help you for a small remuneration ;)

Great, thanks Lyndon. I've sent an email to an MR2 breaker too. If Roger did all that work he may a good chap to speak with.

P.S. Does anyone still work at Thor?

If it works Farndon Engineering have been badgering me to see if I need any cranks making, so they are hungry for work. They could use one as a pattern for an an EN40B steel flywheel to be made with whatever clutch face you want on it, and drilled corrctly et cetera.

Ok, that sounds good too. Would be nice to get this knocked up quickly if needed. What kind of costs do you think I would be looking at, roughly?

• 2 months later...