The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blackwidow Supra

imi

holy crap i am so not liking that elbow welded on the end of the tubby:blink:

Hey paul, shed some more light on exactly what you are talking about here in layman terms....

Car should be back within 2 weeks from now in time for le mans.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest racing fan
holy crap i am so not liking that elbow welded on the end of the tubby:blink:

We weld the elbow on to point the ic piping back towards the Greddy 3 Row piping. Imi will not have an restriction with his T61... we have made over 900rwhp through that exact same setup with a T74. :cool:

Hey paul, shed some more light on exactly what you are talking about here in layman terms....

i started off tuning 2 strokes and read lots of books, when i got into car tuning i did the same, my Boostlogic turbo came with the same elbow you have but i remembered about pumping loss and fluid flow through tight bends from my HNC and reading A. Graham Bell (forced induction performance tuning) confirmed what i thought, and i quote "in a poorly designed system with a number of tight bends and a restrictive intercooler this can easily reduce boost by 20% " now what this is saying is you are introducing unecessary restrictions in the system (pumping loss) and allthough the sales person above states 900 hp (which i dont dispute) the turbo has to work a lot harder to achieve this (which i'm sure he wont dispute) than a well designed system that avoids the ridiculously tight bend on your turbo - fact, this is not turbo theory it is basic physics (of which i embarrasingly remember little :(). I expect most of what i have stated here to be largely ignored by the blow off valve brigade as it is of no interest but in maximising the performance of a turbocharged engine there is not a reputable tuner in the world who would put his name to that elbow, heres my effort, you still get loss through a swept bend but not as much and from an aesthetics point of view which looks "right"

attachment.php?attachmentid=75517&d=1210882366

car 018.jpg

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

i started off tuning 2 strokes and read lots of books, when i got into car tuning i did the same, my Boostlogic turbo came with the same elbow you have but i remembered about pumping loss and fluid flow through tight bends from my HNC and reading A. Graham Bell (forced induction performance tuning) confirmed what i thought, and i quote "in a poorly designed system with a number of tight bends and a restrictive intercooler this can easily reduce boost by 20% " now what this is saying is you are introducing unecessary restrictions in the system (pumping loss) and allthough the sales person above states 900 hp (which i dont dispute) the turbo has to work a lot harder to achieve this (which i'm sure he wont dispute) than a well designed system that avoids the ridiculously tight bend on your turbo - fact, this is not turbo theory it is basic physics (of which i embarrasingly remember little :(). I expect most of what i have stated here to be largely ignored by the blow off valve brigade as it is of no interest but in maximising the performance of a turbocharged engine there is not a reputable tuner in the world who would put his name to that elbow, heres my effort, you still get loss through a swept bend but not as much and from an aesthetics point of view which looks "right"

so Paul, you commented on the elbow just off the turbo, how do you suggest it should be like? any pics of that?

so Paul, you commented on the elbow just off the turbo, how do you suggest it should be like? any pics of that?

Oh imi, i was up at Phoenix last friday having my 2nd decat installed, and i saw your supe there, your single turbo conversion is coming quite along nicely isn't it...:)

Mark has been updating me on a regular basis (making good progress with the head)....I shall perhaps try and visit it tomorrow and get some pics.

Really need to get it completely mapped in time for le mans.....and its not the mechanical part of the install that worries me... :(

Mark has been updating me on a regular basis (making good progress with the head)....I shall perhaps try and visit it tomorrow and get some pics.

Really need to get it completely mapped in time for le mans.....and its not the mechanical part of the install that worries me... :(

Oh im sure it'll be fine mate...What bit are you worried about then imi??

pic allready there mate :search:, at the end of the day you wont loose much power over this as the boost will be cranked up accordingly and the turbo put under a bit more load than it needs to be, my background is hydraulics/ fluid flow so it shocked me a bit to see an elbow like that on a turbo system that is being optimised for performance, from a flow point of view and inducing pumping loss the elbow you have is as bad as it gets

Appreciate your comments guys.....I saw deans car today and his turbo has a similar 90 deg bend, this seems to be the case with many setups.....apparently inc Terry's two monsters.

I can see this not be the ideal design....but atleast I am not the only one.

Saw the car today, Mark is making good progress and the engine head is coming nicely, this time next week it should all be plumbled back into the engine bay.....all I can say is that Mark will be dearly missed.

This may sound like a stupid idea :D, why can't the compressor housing be removed and rotated so it points downwards (obviously removing that 90 bend 1st), then a nice smooth curve towards the front left for the FMIC, here's a pic of how my turbo is located and the exit from the compressor is pointing straight down.

attachment.php?attachmentid=76029&d=1211565603

IMG_2373.jpg

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

What NGK spark plugs would you guys recommend for my setup?

As per the FAQ, i'd like to run a set of coppers during mapping and then perhaps iridums once its all mapped.

this is what I read from the FAQ

Single Turbo/Big Twins @ upto 1.3bar

NGK - BCPR7ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR7E (6097) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR8E - gap to 0.7mm

NGK Iridium - BKR7EIX/BKR8EIX - leave gap alone

Denso Iridium - IK24 - leave gap alone

Single Turbo/Big Twins @ upto 1.8bar

NGK - BCPR8ES - gap 0.6-0.7mm

NGK - BKR8E - gap 0.6-0.7mm

NGK Iridium - BKR8EIX - leave gap alone

Denso Iridium - IK27 - leave gap alone

Should I go for BKR7EIX OR BKR8EIX

If I go for BKR8EIX then what copper plugs should I go for?

Where is the best / cheapest place to get hold of spark plugs (both coppers and iridiums)

Thx

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Not sure whats the max safe boost the car should be mapped to for Tesco 99RON for my setup. :rolleyes:

in the tests i have read V-Power (optimax) has come top, dont get hung up on pure octane rating as there are a lot of factors that influence peak power other than just octane

Got two sets of NGK plugs, one copper (tuning) and one after the car is mapped (iridiums).

Car is going to be completed by Friday - Tuning is booked for Friday.

Am counting the days now...............cant wait.