Blackwidow Supra

imi

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last thing you want are copper plug in an engine that will see incorrect fuel mixtures during or before mapping, but if less than a hundred quid saved on a project like this means so much .....

I have serious Dejavou, I'm sure I've read a quote from you before with almost the same sentence but 'iridiums' in there from you Chris, maybe I'm wrong but I was always under the impression it was either copper or iridium as you dont want a piece of metal like platinum getting thrown about in there if it decides to give up,

Isn't that the reason for using these coppers while mapping rather than the cost factor?

Just noticed a coolant leak near where the thermostat control valve thingy is in the engine bay. Not sure whether it can seal itself or is potentially a problem somewhere

Water temps on the standard gauge are fine.

The end of the Radiator pipe that connects to the engine has also swelled up too.....perhaps a conincidence or related to the above issue.

Any thoughts?

Just noticed a coolant leak near where the thermostat control valve thingy is in the engine bay. Not sure whether it can seal itself or is potentially a problem somewhere

Water temps on the standard gauge are fine.

The end of the Radiator pipe that connects to the engine has also swelled up too.....perhaps a conincidence or related to the above issue.

Any thoughts?

Guys.

I have taken the car off the road as I am concerned about the coolant issue.

My logic suggests that there is too much pressure in the system forcing the leak and the bulge in the pipe.

What exactly is going on, I dont really know.

I will try and get pics of the coolant spill asap.

In the meantime, any thoughts / suggestions / pointers would be appreciated.

Does Mark at Phoenix not have any thoughts on this? I would have thought he would have taken care of this problem for you as you have just had a lot of work done there?

He does and has seen it. He believes that the radiator pipe needs to be changed (which I have ordered).

He believes that the coolant leak along the exhaust manifold will seal itself; just been advised to keep an eye on the temps and on the coolant level.

I am not comfortable with the idea of the leak in the 1st place so just trying to get my head around how these things work to understand what is going on.

I certainly dont want a gasket or anything to blow and ruin the engine.

Edited by imi (see edit history)

He believes that the coolant leak along the exhaust manifold will seal itself; just been advised to keep an eye on the temps and on the coolant level.

How can a leak seal itself? Radweld?

Imi - time to start knocking on the door (and you are very capable :)) that does NOT sound right

:(

How can a leak seal itself? Radweld?

Imi - time to start knocking on the door (and you are very capable :)) that does NOT sound right

:(

dont be tempted to use radweld and dont let anyone talk you into using it, it needs soughting properly not bodging

Update:

Thx for the comments guys and not reaching any conclusions; I shall try and get the car to Pheonix come saturday and give the chance for Mark to have a thorough look at it.

Imperative that this is done prior to even contemplating getting it mapped to its full capacity, I dont want the car to blow up.

For now the car has been taken off the road to get the electrics in the passenger footwell sorted out properly.

Stay tuned.

I should hopefully get the car back on Monday evening in a driveable condition. This will allow me to take it back to Mark for him to look at the overpressurisation issue and put the issue to rest.

I have ordered a new rap pipe and really hope that there is a simple air lock or something like that.

Depending on how and when that is done, I look forward to getting it fully mapped and the project completed.

Seriously, I have been without a car for way too long and these issues, the time & extortionate amount of money that they are demanding to fix are really stressing me out. :(

Anyone thinking of a single conversion need to factor in this "SHTF" Factor.

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Had a word with Mark today about your car Imi, from what he told me it sounds fine what he said to do, on your trip to and back from le-mans you had no need to top up the coolant, it was just a few drops where the coolant had leaked which then formed crystals sealing itself. If you have had no leaking just a few marks from where coolant leaked you will be fine, Mark was expecting you today though.

Had a word with Mark today about your car Imi, from what he told me it sounds fine what he said to do, on your trip to and back from le-mans you had no need to top up the coolant, it was just a few drops where the coolant had leaked which then formed crystals sealing itself.

i didnt top up the coolant at all.....it was the oil that I topped up :)

regarding the coolank leak, just hope that its something as simple as an air lock that can be easily fixed.

i didnt top up the coolant at all.....it was the oil that I topped up :)

regarding the coolank leak, just hope that its something as simple as an air lock that can be easily fixed.

Thats what i meant, the coolant leak isn't a leak it was just where a few drops had been, but no longer are leaking from, thus you not having to top the coolant up :)

Thats what i meant, the coolant leak isn't a leak it was just where a few drops had been, but no longer are leaking from, thus you not having to top the coolant up :)

Hmm...I wish that was the case.....anyway...Mark will have to sort it out.

attached is a pic of someone elses engine where i have highlighted the area where i think the leak is from.

attachment.php?attachmentid=77968&d=1214694028

attachment.php?attachmentid=77969&d=1214694028

P1010099.jpg

P1010108.jpg

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

There's just a little o-ring to seal that joint. £1.10 part. Very, very, simple job to change if it's a problem.

Is it still leaking Imi? They can show sign's of a leakage on the first install, but can take a good cycle to bed in. If there's only a bit of residue then don't worry about it. Wipe it clean and make sure there's nothing new apearing next week.

I think you are right, now that I have the car back from the electrician, I will try and get it back to Pheonix (this is turning into my new full time job)

The highs and lows of going single, 'par for the course'.