Blackwidow Supra

imi

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to say that I was shocked when I read your thread would be an understatement.

....not suggesting that you pushed the car too hard.....(as owners we dont do that to our P&J); i'm merely saying that we are not dealing with original toyota parts anymore and sometimes I do get the feeling that bits and pieces are simply bogged together by most tuners out there with little care and little interest - there is just too much to go wrong. i'll get Ryan to map my car on the conservative side.

yep agree, cars are built by tuners in the UK who in my opinion have a lot to answer to

I also think that to say "buy the best and you'll be fine" is not the case when going single. I think Dean is the perfect example of this & anyone thinking they can go single (as is suggested by many a thread asking questions on the reliability of singles) without problem is mistaken, IMHO it's a lottery

the tuning world in the uk is a minefield regardless of the size of your wallet

Really feel for you mate and can relate to your obvious bitterness, i am in the fortunate position of working in engineering all my life so wouldn't trust anyone to even clean my car, i got stung very early on in supra ownership when i trusted a garage to change all the fluids on the car, they managed to overfill the auto gearbox by 2 litres :blink: at this point i decided never again and i would do everything myself.

I know this doesn't help you now but my advise to someone like yourself going single would be to buy a mature build, whether that be an amateur or professional build it doesn't matter, but the main thing is a car thats been running reliably for some time.

Really feel for you mate and can relate to your obvious bitterness, i am in the fortunate position of working in engineering all my life so wouldn't trust anyone to even clean my car, i got stung very early on in supra ownership when i trusted a garage to change all the fluids on the car, they managed to overfill the auto gearbox by 2 litres :blink: at this point i decided never again and i would do everything myself.

I know this doesn't help you now but my advise to someone like yourself going single would be to buy a mature build, whether that be an amateur or professional build it doesn't matter, but the main thing is a car thats been running reliably for some time.

Nice idea but not really going to work long term, to be honest when you spend the money I have spent I would expect a small amount of relability along the way !! dont you think

Dean

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

Nice idea but not really going to work long term, to be honest when you spend the money I have spent I would expect a small amount of relability along the way !! dont you think

Dean

Somewhere on the forum I did a post for Matt H about how I personally get a car modified. It all hinged around taking it slowly and easing the car in to things. The single turbo supras that have been modified and then left for a while before the next stage seem to last longer. Look at Foodfreak's car, thats had no engine or turbo problems even though its a daily driver and is driven to 1.4bar all the time.

I do think its a shame that you are giving in. I would personally throw another turbo on there and get the oil feeds checked. Its a small cost in comparison to the whole build, and its the winter so you wont be able to use the car hard at the moment anyway.

Run the car through to the summer and then see how you feel about it. Selling at this time of year is a very bad idea.

to be honest when you spend the money I have spent I would expect a small amount of relability along the way !! dont you think

Dean

damm right you would mate, however in the motor trade once the garage doors have closed on your pride and joy its pot luck whether you get the time served old hand (if they even have one) or the young lad whos "handy with a spanner", the one constant is you still pay £50 an hour regardless of who is wielding the spanners :(

:friends:

Many thanks to Ryan and to Charlie.

A fantastic tuning session with the car utterly transformed.

Bags loads of torque, great power and excellent AFRs resulting in a smooth and effortless pull to crazy leptons.

Ryan hooked up a switch in order to toggle between a low boost and high boost map. This works like a charm and essentially transforms the car from 500 > 550+ bhp - and boy do you notice it.

Love it.

Will scan and post up the graphs soon and get Wez to update the ECU register.

Many thanks guys.......

P.S: Thanks for the advice on the breather - no more blingy oil catch tank

:friends:

Many thanks to Ryan and to Charlie.

A fantastic tuning session with the car utterly transformed.

Bags loads of torque, great power and excellent AFRs resulting in a smooth and effortless pull to crazy leptons.

Ryan hooked up a switch in order to toggle between a low boost and high boost map. This works like a charm and essentially transforms the car from 500 > 550+ bhp - and boy do you notice it.

Love it.

Will scan and post up the graphs soon and get Wez to update the ECU register.

Many thanks guys.......

P.S: Thanks for the advice on the breather - no more blingy oil catch tank

nice one IMI looking forward to seeing the graphs for the DBB

T61, the breather bit is very topical for me at the moment as i am looking at this, what was the advise if you dont mind me asking

nice one IMI looking forward to seeing the graphs for the DBB

T61, the breather bit is very topical for me at the moment as i am looking at this, what was the advise if you dont mind me asking

Paul, i've been looking through many past discussions on oil catch tanks and personally I dont really understand the purpose of such tanks. my logic being that if they were really required then they would already be on the car in some shape or form (always looking to be corrected if needed).

with that thinking in mind, Ryan did suggest that the entire goal of the exercise was to move the breather filter away from he hot engine so with the help of some braided hose / pipe with a breather filter attached to it on one end, we should be able to solve the issue.

Question is, there are two breather filters, I am assuming that I need to do this for both, or just the one on the turbo side?

Nice one matey, how are your inlet temps now then?

after many 1.4 bar repeated runs, the air intake temps were in the low 30s and according to ryan, perfectly acceptable.

In OUR opinion - Car would have pushed more power (high 500s) had I had a less restrictive exhaust. Mine is an Apexi N1 Evo - it is very quiet and for me, that is a price I am willing to pay for comfort. 556bhp is plenty for me.

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Question is, there are two breather filters, I am assuming that I need to do this for both, or just the one on the turbo side?

Usually just the turbo side, though I was surprised at the noise the small K&N filter made on the intake side.

not sure what you mean here IMI and your engine pics in your garage are minute, do you mean you have a filter on each side of the cam covers, one where the PCV would be and one where the intake connection would have been

Wasn't the Miami smic mapped in the summer?

Correct - just before Le Mans.

not sure what you mean here IMI and your engine pics in your garage are minute, do you mean you have a filter on each side of the cam covers, one where the PCV would be and one where the intake connection would have been

Thx for pointing that out - I have now fixed the photos. - there is an one air breather on BOTH Cam covers - one is on the turbo side and the 2nd is towards the rear of the engine on the throttle side.

I tried to remove the air breather from the turbo side, not sure how the hell it is mounted, despite removing the jubilee clips it still wont come off - any ideas?

Correct - just before Le Mans.

Thx for pointing that out - I have now fixed the photos. - there is an one air breather on BOTH Cam covers - one is on the turbo side and the 2nd is towards the rear of the engine on the throttle side.

I tried to remove the air breather from the turbo side, not sure how the hell it is mounted, despite removing the jubilee clips it still wont come off - any ideas?

Do you mean as per picture 12 in your garage, in which case as Tony has said, the nearside one is connected to the idle air solenoid. The pipe from the cam cover has a slight ridge on the top. It should come off with a good pull.

Edit: Have a look at this picture here.

there is an one air breather on BOTH Cam covers - one is on the turbo side and the 2nd is towards the rear of the engine on the throttle side.

The throttle side one is the intake for the idle control valve, not part of the breather system.

I'd get the breather system closed again by plumbing the turbo side one back into the intake pre-turbo :)

-Ian