Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Led rear lights.

Posting is my life! Club Member Kendo11's Avatar
    Feedback
    20 (100%)

Led rear lights.

Thought I'd have a go at making some led rear lights myself.

Up to this stage so far:

uploadfromtaptalk1445101624441.jpg

Will jot some more info & progress stuff down later, happy so far though

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

I'm part of the furniture Club Member j_jza80's Avatar
    Feedback
    13 (100%)
    They look great

Work... what work? MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED
    Feedback
    It's good to see people giving it a go themselves at this style of light. How well of a fit are your lenses?

Looking forward to see a finished unit.

Me? Post? Never! Club Member supra joe's Avatar
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    Looking very up to date. Can't wait to see the finished result !
    Work in progres.....

Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Wow! That's going to look awesome!!!

Mr Driver Club Member Big Supes's Avatar
    Feedback
    4 (100%)
    That's a very promising start mate!
    "When the rear end's loose, the car's fast. Loose is fast, and on the edge of out of control."
    BPU '95 Auto UK Spec - Flagship Silver
    Xbox - Big Supes

Got the shiny bug. Club Member ripped_fear's Avatar
    Feedback
    95 (100%)
    Good on you mate for having a go yourself, hard work is paying off
    I went from a 220bhp Sapphire Cosworth > Supra TT BPU circa 400 BHP......................BUt dont worry I had plenty of experiance on Mario Kart -scotty71
    If you were an engine would you like JP as your owner:-)? I'd report him to the RSPCE (Royal Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Engines).-Chris Wilson
    That was SupraPond 2010. WaspyPod was a corker, never seen to many wasps in one place.-Branners
    I am bad, but then I'm not a moderator....Im so much more.-Branners
    You are bloody nuts. Nothing comes close dude, what the hell would you replace it with? A GTR, that's like going from Kiera Knightley to Susan Boyle.-Supra Gaz

HKS T04Z Powered Do-Luck Club Member Brazil's Avatar
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Looking really good there bud...!
    2000 Supra RZ-S VVTI - HKS T 04Z Turbo Kit- Forged Engine HKS Internal Parts - Syvecs EMS Mapped by Ryan G., Toucan Display -

3.5" custom 1 peace exhaust, , Greddy 4 Row FMIC, HKS 264 Cams, HKS Fueling System 1000cc Inj, Nitrous Express, Full-Endless Brake kit -15''Discs in front, Big Case Diff TRD LSD

Do-Luck V1 body Kit, Ganador Mirrors, Top Secret Carbon F. Bonnet, Cobra Misano Lux Seats,
    Rear Parking Assistance+ Rear View Camera, Meister R Coilovers, 19'' CCW SP16 Hybrid ''315 & 265'' Pilot Sport SP2''

What search button? Club Member Delboy52's Avatar
    Feedback
    39 (100%)
    They look rather nice! Good job
    Mike
    Instagram - delboy52_uk
    1UZ-FE VVTi 4.0 V8. Hybrid TT auto gearbox. Carbon wide arches. Brembo SRT8 conversion.

UK 6sp 3.4 Single :) Club Member ShawnPreece's Avatar
    Feedback
    33 (100%)
    Always more satisfying when it's something you created yourself, looking forward to seeing them finished
    8: MKIV 1993 Supra N/A Auto Aerotop - Named Buffy - Current Car Updates Here
    7: MKIV 1994 Supra Single Turbo Auto - Current Car / Ongoing Project Project Thread will be here
    6: MKIV 1994 Supra UK spec V160 Widearch 1000bhp build - Named Sally - Current Car / My Pride & Joy Project Thread here

1: MKIII 1990 Supra Turbo Manual - Sold 2: MKIV 1994 Supra TT6 - Written Off after Tyre Blew 3: MKIII 1992 Supra Turbo Manual - Sold 4: MKIV 1993 Supra N/A Auto - Sold 5: MKIV 1994 Supra VVT-I TT Manual (engine from 98 Supra) - Been broken

Me? Post? Never! Club Member supra_ufo's Avatar
    Feedback
    14 (100%)
    Great work mate been meaning to start something myself

What search button? Club Member SupraP-Z's Avatar
    Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Looking good dude

Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Quick warning, picture quality is awful as my phone is on the way out.

Thanks for all the comments of encouragement so far guys.

Basically I was inspired to have a go at these partly after seeing Casheye's thread, some of Hecklers work, and a couple of others that have had a go on here and other forums over the past few months.

My car is still off the road as I'm awaiting a good few bits to finish it (and money to buy said bits!) so I have had the time to have a play with these.

So...I bought myself a cheap set of pre face-lift lights, my thinking was that at 40-50 a set I could afford for these to go wrong more so than with a 100+ set of face-lifts.

First off I split the lights, usual in the oven for a few moments/check/repeat etc and then pulled them apart. Next up it's just a case of removing the innards, pretty straightforward.

Next up I bought a couple of acrylic sheets from a local craft shop to make the backing pieces. I had offers locally to make these up using a 3D printer and what not but I thought no, if I'm going to do this I'm going to do it myself. So I popped the lenses out, cut the nibs off and filed them down and traced around the acrylic sheets to make some backing discs.

Around the same time I also decided to spray the silver lens mount sections. This was to avoid any major reflection and because I wanted the 'ring' effect to remain a 'ring' effect.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Ok so here comes the punchline....

I had two types of LED rings bookmarked on my computer, one after Casheye's thread stating they were no good and prone to fire, and one that I thought would be much better quality.

So I deleted one set off my bookmarks and ordered the other set.......you might be able to guess which set I ordered.

Anyway, LEDs received my next task was to work out how to mount them, which ended up being a high strength Araldite type adhesive and then just ensuring they sat correctly and in the right place. This one was prior to sitting it correctly but you get the idea.

I also weighed them down overnight using random household objects to make sure they sat nicely.

On these pictures you will see for the reverse rings (yellow ones oddly enough) I had to add some self adhesive pads to raise them up as they weren't sitting right.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Next up - I have some more LED rings coming as a couple of them are faulty and I'm also going to add some smaller ones to some of the sections.

Ultimately I don't want to over complicate them as I fully expect them to fail at some point over the life of the car so I need to be able to replace the rings if that happens.

I also have some dark black tinting film on the way, I'll explain what I'm using that for in the next set of pictures.

I have tested one (as per the very first picture) and it works perfectly for now, needs a few alterations and tweaks to be made suitable to go on the road though.

I have a friendly local MOT tester who should be able to wangle the fog light question for me also, obviously at some point I'll get one attached to somewhere on the back of the car.

About halfway through so far I'd say.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast