The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW SUPRA!!1 erm... Toyota FT-1 Concept

Gaz6002

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Toyota-Supra-BMW-Z4-sports-cars-to-share-platform

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Toyota Motor and BMW will develop a common platform for two sports car models that will become the first products to come out of a comprehensive tie-up the two inked in January 2013.

The automakers will use the same platform as early as 2017 for the BMW Z4 and a planned revival of the Toyota Supra, a model popular in the 1980s and 1990s. The vehicles will have different body designs and be sold under their respective brands.

The current Z4 is a two-seater with 2- and 3-liter engine options. The highest-performance model can go from zero to 100kph in 4.8 seconds.

The Supra was sold from 1978 to 2002, chiefly in Japan and the U.S. It is no longer in production, but its strong fan base sparked the decision for a rerelease.

The partners also plan to discuss joint manufacturing and parts procurement. BMW is a leader in building cars with lightweight carbon fiber bodies, but the technology is expensive, leading many to focus on whether Toyota will adopt it.

Toyota's tie-up with BMW is aimed at making use of the German carmaker's luxury-vehicle expertise while lowering costs. The companies have worked together on developing fuel cell vehicles and other projects.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't see them going for a 4 cylinder. I reckon we'd be more likely to see one of BMWs excellent I6 engines, or a Toyota V6.

Tweaked 435i engine for the entry (N55B30)

Tweaked M5 engine for the top spec (S63B44)

Or a 2JZ with ally block and dual VVTi head and some nice DBW intake.

New info today coming from Japan is that the engine will be a turbo charged BMW in line 4 cylinder 2.0 litre engine with 3 electric motors. So more Sources claiming the same setup.

http://www.power-vehicles.com/2014/08/01/bmw-supra-takes-shape/

edit: Just seen the previous link is from "holiday auto" magazine in Japan too.

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

New info today coming from Japan is that the engine will be a turbo charged BMW in line 4 cylinder 2.0 litre engine with 3 electric motors. So more Sources claiming the same setup.

http://www.power-vehicles.com/2014/08/01/bmw-supra-takes-shape/

BTW, reading that it seems like a lot of crossed wires again.

The BMW-Toyota hybrid isn't the Supra.... or it was never meant to be. The FT-1 is/was nothing to do with BMW.

BTW, reading that it seems like a lot of crossed wires again.

The BMW-Toyota hybrid isn't the Supra.... or it was never meant to be. The FT-1 is/was nothing to do with BMW.

I hope so!, but the FT-1's engine was never really talked about other than maybe it being a rear wheel drive car was it?

Interesting it saying the new Z4 wont get to use the hybrid technology that BMW are building from Toyota designs yet.

I hope so!, but the FT-1's engine was never really talked about other than maybe it being a rear wheel drive car was it?

Interesting it saying the new Z4 wont get to use the hybrid technology that BMW are building from Toyota designs yet.

All part of the agreement I guess.

The partnership was on with them way before the FT-1 showcase. It's strange the way things are worded. It was the same back at the start of this thread, different stories with a lot of crossed information.

It is possible that BMW saw the huge buzz over FT-1 and pushed for it to be the partnership over what they were planning. Who knows though :)

All part of the agreement I guess.

The partnership was on with them way before the FT-1 showcase. It's strange the way things are worded. It was the same back at the start of this thread, different stories with a lot of crossed information.

It is possible that BMW saw the huge buzz over FT-1 and pushed for it to be the partnership over what they were planning. Who knows though :)

One positive thing if it is this setup is the new F1 cars are similar minus the front wheel drive and that's cool.

Also using a high volume capacitor instead of batteries makes it sound like 88mph will be fun :)

• 2 weeks later...