The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need to replace tyres - advice

Homer

I need 3 new tyres for my car, but realise I am hopelessly out of touch on what to go for these days.

I have Toyo Proxys T1R's on the front but they wore out very quickly (about 3k miles), I think they are quite a soft compound as they gripped well.

On the rear I have Falken FK542's. Most of the resllers now only stock the 453's, is there much of a difference and would there be an issue mixing the 452 and 453 on the rear?

I'd prefer to stick to the same all round so will either go for the Falkens or Toyo's... any suggestions?

I love my Good Year Eagle f1's, tonnes of grip in dry and wet and the last set did nearly 8k on the rear which I was massively impressed with. I drove them hard before I left most of them behind in various villages in Holland :p

Bridgstone RE050A's or Pirelli Rosso's would be my choice, had them both and were great tyres. The RE050A's being that little better in the wet and wearing very well :)

But if you can get the sizes I'd try the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, hell of a tyre I here!

Guest suprageek

i have michelin pilot sport on the rear and pirelli p zeros on the front, had vredestein ultrac's all round before that, although they lasted ages the grip wasnt the best on them. the michelin pilots are excellent tyres in my opinion.

If you can get hold of 452's go for them if you need ones at a reasonable price, don't go for 453's they are very poor in comparison to the 452's

Nuts, really? I can't find 452's anymore...

Avon zz3's and buy 4 so you have a nice matching set

I have used these before and absolutely hated them Dunk. They were on my old single but I really didn't get on with them at all.

Bloody hell, what to go for now... I'm still tempted by the Toyo's even though they wear out quickly....

Nuts, really? I can't find 452's anymore...

I'm in the same boat with the MR2, I'm swapping wheels so need a full set of new tyres, the car came fitted with Falken 452's and I've been impressed with them, they have worn very well and grip levels are generally good in all conditions. My only gripe with them is the limited sizes available, I can't get the specific width/aspects ratio I want on the front so will have to go with an alternative brand.

Falken FK452's are still listed here:

http://www.blackcircles.com/

http://www.camskill.co.uk/

I mentioned this on another thread about tyres - pick a brand you like and tyres that are reasonably priced. They are all pretty much the same these days and no amount of testimony from individuals will help you decide as it's a mass of conflicting opinions and no data :D

I stick with Pirelli P0's, and I bet you'd be hard pushed to find a real difference between them and any other high end manufacturer's equivalent offerings without doing science on a test track. Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear, whatever. May as well pick the prettiest tread pattern :)

I have had a number of different Brands on the Supra and I Would highly recommend Bridgestone Potenza's but as your in the middle of a house move the Vredsteins (sp?) are a very good tyre.

Pirelli I find are hit and miss and I personnally wouldnt go near them again ( I had P zeros ) they let go to easily in the dry whereas the Bridgestones apparently slip in the dry occasionally ( slip light flashes ) but I have not realised.

The Vredsteins I found to be a very good all round Mid-range tyre and would be the tyre i would recommend, I know other members have good things to say about these tyres also.

Guest Budz86

I ran 452's on my NA Daryl and they were brilliant! Always had decent enough grip and lasted ages - sold the car after running them for around 10k and they still looked new!

I run pilot sports all round now and they are fantastic, will deffo be sticking with these now but they aren't light on the wallet! Not are how long they will last though, time will tell.

My advice, 452's if you can get them. Worth the hunt.

I mentioned this on another thread about tyres - pick a brand you like and tyres that are reasonably priced. They are all pretty much the same these days and no amount of testimony from individuals will help you decide as it's a mass of conflicting opinions and no data :D

I stick with Pirelli P0's, and I bet you'd be hard pushed to find a real difference between them and any other high end manufacturer's equivalent offerings without doing science on a test track. Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear, whatever. May as well pick the prettiest tread pattern :)

This. :yes:

BUT... Despite agreeing with that, I can heartily recommend Continental's ContiSportContact 3 for a decent blend of wet and dry grip with good lastability. Uh, if that's a word... :think: You know what I mean!

I have Toyo Proxys T1R's on the front but they wore out very quickly (about 3k miles), I think they are quite a soft compound as they gripped well.

I can't get the Falken FK452's in the correct widths/aspect ratios I need on the MR2. The Toyo Proxes T1R tyres are similar money and are available in the correct sizes but if they're only going to last 3K miles sod that :(

In your situation I'd say see if you can find 452's, as mentioned I have seen them on Camskills at reduced prices too.

What tyre size are you after? Failing that for a temp measure maybe get some second hand tyres off a member?

There always in different mags big tests of all the current brand name tires. Should be quite easy to find one, and they test all kind of Things normally.

I run Bridgestone RE050 and they have lasted 25.000 km so far, but are due to be changed start of next season