The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays 1300kg Weight Thread

jevansio

I thought I'd keep all my future weight loss mods in one thread so here it is :)

Currently the car runs 1380kg with half a tank of fuel, I usually weigh it with 1/4 tank as most on the Supra Hardtop Registry do, so effectively I've got a 10kg headstart on the next weigh in.

My plan is to get the car down to 1300kg or below. After that it'll be power increase hoping to get to 900bhp, but that's for another time/thread.

I've thrashed out some general weights:

Lightweight doors with lexan windows = -40kg

Lightweight hatch with lexan = -20kg

Removal of sound deadening = -4kg

Removal of unused wiring = -5kg

Completed:

Removal of Do-luck rear cross bar = -4.5kg

Rear crash bar = -6kg (-8kg removing rear +2kg adding front)

Seat Subframe = -5kg

TRD front brace = -4kg

Seibon Drivers Door = -12.5kg (retained stock glass & door card)

Veilside Teardrop = -7.5kg

Current Estimated Weight 1334kg

This should be enough to get me to 1300kg. I've obviously got a contingency plan incase things don't turn as as planned which includes titanium exhaust piping, carbon prop, ap rear brake kit, but I'll see how I get on without them for the mo.

So 1st update is I got the doors today, Seibon from Gavin - fastcar (many thanks for the speedy service bud). I'm intending to drop my bucket seats to the floor in an attempt to gain as much protection from the sill as possible, but will consider getting some custom T45 bar welded in if I feel it needs it. Obviously the reduction in seat subframe material will aid in the weighloss a kilo or so (it's all in the right direction)

attachment.php?attachmentid=117550&stc=1&d=1285071574

attachment.php?attachmentid=117551&stc=1&d=1285071574

attachment.php?attachmentid=117552&stc=1&d=1285071574

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys :)

best of luck getting the weight down, them carbon doors look very nicely made plus they look strong.

mr2 ferrari?

Yeah, the doors are mint, it's a replica on an MR2

Am liking the doors there, Jay.

Have you thought about having the car corner weighted so you can focus on specific areas for removal of weight, or at least think about distribution.

Once all the weight is off I'll be getting WIM or the like to do a full setup

Im curious, couldnt the old side impact bar be used still with a bit of creative thinking?

Not sure but I don't fancy trying it could do more damage than it prevents, if a bar goes in it'll be getting welded

Jay go on a diet, should help lose a few kg's also, :rlol: only kidding bud :p

Be very interesting to see how much weight you can save dude. :thumbs: great thread bud

I'm on a diet too, trying to get back down to sub 80kg, it's bloody hard though at the mo for some reason

What have you removed so far? Any chance of getting a list up?

No probs, I'm off training now but will do a list when I get back

Is just the outer skin of the Seibon door CF? On the pics it looks like they use the stock inner frame of the door, if they do could they not make up a door retaining the side impact bar?

It's all fibreglass, only the top coat of the door skin is CF (just like most cheapo aftermarket stuff)

Keeping it now then Jay?

Yeah :D, I figured the money I was going to waste on a luxury barge could be better spent on a 3.4l 76+mm setup :D

Sounds good mate, you'll net some extra fuel economy too :D

It's my daily drive after this week so that is a bonus :D

Look forward to the progress.

Please get something in the way of those doors though bud. It doesn't matter how low your seat is when most cars on the road are higher than your sil anyway. Don't like to be grim but I'd rather just get straight to the point, if anything other than an F1 car hits you, you're gone.

I may have secured a 3kg MD Designs bonnet, it's race use only, needs 4 hood pins, but is the ultimate weight loss at the end the car needs it most, will get pics up when I know the deal is on :)

:thumbs:

It's refreshing to see thoughtful weight loss, as most just go for lexan windows and carbon bootlids and leave the front stock. Can't do the handling any good for a road car.

I see you've relocated the battery and replaced it with a lighter one, which should help too.