The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't find a trendy black-faced or oil-filled one, :shrug: yet now have a little gauge on the water/meth pressure regulator that shows where another Gremlin is hiding.

The unit is labelled as factory pre-set to 75 psi, however, it's hard on the needle at 200 psi, where it remains regardless of full adjustment either way.

These water/methanol systems are poorly designed overpriced crocks of tat, the ERL pump and nozzles are fine, but most other components have proven not up to much so far.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174859&d=1378916898

wm pressure 001.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Radio supercharger began playing some tunes I didn't recognise, boost was down a little and the dreaded hot-tickover Gremlin was back too. :think:

The special Jaguar bolts that secure the exit-flange on the supercharger were not designed to be regularly dismantled and their rubber rings were failing, the missing pieces came out in pieces. :D

Fortunately I had another set on another charger and fixed it in a jiffy, :) I'll get some new rubbers in stock for maintenance.

When a Gremlin is evicted a test is essential :innocent: and this afternoon had the chance for a short 3rd-gear pull and the gauge shot straight up to 17 lbs. :shock:

A mixture of town-driving and hot-standing can heat-soak the charge-cooler which raises the boost to 16 lbs, until the pre-rads get some air through them and pull it down to 15 psi.

When I get around to it, fitting the nose-scoop and a fan will sort that, yet 17 lbs has never been seen before. :shrug:

The :flasher: flange was lifting on the tired Jag rubbers like a blow-off valve. :D

I know you lot, no pics then it never happened and I hope it didn't because it would max out the 2.1Bar MAP sensor that's at it's limit with 15 lbs.

I do this anyway for reference, because it's not possible to give full attention to gauges and stay alive, so I tried to repeat the exercise on camera and the plan was, in 3rd gear press the pedal before 2k rpm and press the start button on the camera I was holding in my left hand, it was raining at the time yet I've never had traction issues with this test, but I'd forgotten to switch from auto-mode to manual-mode and the resulting instant kickdown to 1st gear rolling launch made the back end step 45 right and was a mini-mayhem. :D

Single handed opposite lock and lift converted mayhem into fun except the only thing that went wrong was, :innocent: I forgot to press the button on the camera. :shrug:

I did manage to watch the gauge a little bit and saw 16 psi.

I'll wait for a dry run. :whistle:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174876&d=1378938875

squidgies 006.JPG

The roads around here are bedlam at the mo, :looney: yet found just enough space between artics for a little 3rd gear pull and with an intercooled (non w/m) charge it's definitely boosting to 16+ psi, which is a nodger over the AEM 2.1 bar MAP sensors range which Dan reckons really only goes to 2 bar. :shrug:

The transmission pan filter has arrived, yet still waiting on Engineer for the pulley adaptor and looking for an N/A trans to donate a valve-body. :search:

16.8 psi = 1.16 Bar

attachment.php?attachmentid=174886&d=1378993697

booost 003-001.jpg

Back down to 15 psi boost. :shrug:

When I cut the water pipe off the original Jag flange casting, a small piece of the shoulder was lost and now when up to working temp, at 15 psi the left rubber is escaping out through the gap and letting the corner lift, it's a perfect 15 psi blow off valve. :D

I'll get a splash of aluminium weld on it, then shape it back to it's captive design. :blush:

attachment.php?attachmentid=175102&d=1379356822

van 006.JPG

The 2-piece adaptor allows fitment of the smaller-idler with larger-bearing and the pulley-wobble Gremlin is evicted. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=175166&d=1379522291

Now running the small-idler 4 or 5 mm further away from supercharger-pulley and the fussy belt-alignment Gremlin is evicted. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=175167&d=1379522291

A couple of beads of weld and the 15 psi blow-off Gremlin is evicted. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=175168&d=1379522291

I've had a good tinkering with the charge-cooler plumbing getting the expansion system to function correctly and now have stable AIT's.

The result is a steady rise of boost peaking and holding @ 16 psi / 1.1 Bar, perfect. :)

Adaptor 008.jpg

Adaptor 009.JPG

Adaptor 007.JPG

I've been chasing the last of the Gremlins out of the water/meth system.

Every now and again, when it felt like it, the AEM flow gauge would spit one of the hoses out, so have found replacement 6mm fittings. :)

The 1/4" Neolithic sized items were welded onto the plastic with thread-lock and I had to be very careful not to break the sender unit.

Wearing the 'wrong trousers' has fubarred the end of the hose, so now need to replace the pipe from front to rear of the car. :(

That will leave just the pressure reducing valve Gremlin to evict, however, it turns out that this is a component no longer available and if I can't get it to function, Aquamist will want me to buy another complete system. :looney:

Crock of, all of it.

Neolithic 1/4" Yank

attachment.php?attachmentid=175190&d=1379611285

Compatible metric 6mm

attachment.php?attachmentid=175191&d=1379611285

The final water/meth Gremlin

attachment.php?attachmentid=175192&d=1379611376

1 4 - 6mm 001.JPG

1 4 - 6mm 002.JPG

tat 001.JPG

The Project thread is a big one because it's a big project and would quickly turn into a monster if I begin re-posting.

There's no need to read 3 years of R&D, just click on my signature where you'll find all the specifications itemised in "my garage".

I'll have another revamp of "The Labyrinth" and blue-link the specs to a relevant post in the thread. :hi:

Thank you. :)

My Supra has become a celebrity and I'm it's Old Fart Groupie. :D

The amount of R&D required for this project on my only car and daily-drive, combined with nowhere at home to tinker has been a challenge of a challenge.

The only way forwards has been to suck it and see and I keep finding ways to see more for less suck? :think:

Better and better has evolved into best I can do with the handful of tools that live in the boot.

Just the water/meth valve conundrum to solve, transmission and plugs to change, then we'll all see what she can do. :)

Thank you, :) yet not as admirable as your wellies. ;)

I'm really chuffed with the fine-tuning of the idler-pulleys, I've found Baby Bear's bed. :)

Tickover is 250 rpm too high, but that'll be sorted when it's mapped, the belt runs true and is happy to be where it is and simply get on with the job.

There's one little noise I'm not sure of, it's been there from before it was supercharged and I was expecting the manifold repair to cure it, it's no louder than it's ever been, yet curious to what it may be.

The best place to hear it is at the manifold tail, there are rotational noises from the supercharger and poorly transmission that I'm not concerned about, it's the ting-ting-ting that I haven't fathomed, maybe it's the sound of closing valves transmitted down the headers?

If you have an inkling let me know.

Cold engine, ting-ting.

Warm engine, ting-ting.

[video=youtube_share;2jJioR-xCaA]

It has made that noise for about 3 years now, it sounds like pre-ignition on one cylinder at tick over, I can't remember exactly, but from around the time I fitted the manifold.

Long before the AEM ECU went in Gary. ;)

I was expecting the recent manifoldigarmi to magically cure it but it hasn't, this engine has been subject to permanent experiment yet other than the ting-ting it's as sweet as a nut.

It won't be long before it goes for a target 500 grunt and I'd sooner swap in the spare lump than risk it throwing toys out of the pram on the dyno. :think:

My diagnostic lugs don't recognise this ting-ting and was hoping someone had come across it before.