The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nurburgring Trip 2008! 24th-> 29th July

SteveR

Robbie, how hard was it to get a tranny cooler installed? I'm thinking I may need to do this asap. Also, do you have a parts list you could share? Man, I wish I was manual. I'm still shopping for a 6spd single. If the right one were to come along, I may piss off the wife.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fitting a tranny cooler is not too complicated.

The passenger side front vent is a good place for it.. At the moment your cooling is done by passing the oil through a pipe in front of main radiator and back into the transmission. Bypass this with some new braided hose to the cooler. if your lucky the old pipe might reach the position of the new cooler.

Here's one for sale: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=144890

May be too late. Someone appears to have snatched it.. but we'll see. Great find. Thanks. Barring that, what's cost on a new one and the associated mounting hardware and plumbing if you happen to know. Any good brands? I'll be looking in the U.S. as the exchange rate at the moment really kicks me in the junk.

Great picture mate, is that just before the carousell?

That's the one!

You arrive from the right hand side of that scene; heading up the steep hill, head round the bend in the foreground and up the short 'straight' to the carousell which you can just see on the left hand side under a blue sign/whatever it is.

That's the one!

You arrive from the right hand side of that scene; heading up the steep hill, head round the bend in the foreground and up the short 'straight' to the carousell which you can just see on the left hand side under a blue sign/whatever it is.

Many a great pass happen right there. Good times!

• 2 weeks later...
Not unless the Vegas trip gets cancelled, but there's always hope. As soon as I hear word if it does, though, you will know.

Good to know buddy. Not that I'd wish ill on your Vegas plans, but I hope they get rescheduled and you both can make it over to see us for a little drive :eyebrows: and a few :friday:

Mini update:

Bignum and a few others are planning on staying (almost) overnight at the Ashford Travelodge 30~40 mins from the ferry terminal, the night before we go (i.e. staying the night of Wednesday 23rd & I guess checking out soon after 5am on the 24th).

I'm undecided about what I'll be doing at the moment, but for info to those booked on the trip a room is around the £60 mark if you decide it's a good plan for you. :thumbs:

Good to know buddy. Not that I'd wish ill on your Vegas plans, but I hope they get rescheduled and you both can make it over to see us for a little drive :eyebrows: and a few :friday:

Mint get me some Gin Steve ;) (c/o Mike he's aware)

Thought I would post to introduce myself since I finally sorted out insurance which doesn't exclude the Ring and booked my ferry...

I don't know anybody else who is going apart from SteveR who works at the same place as me, so this post should let you know a bit.

My car is a single-turbo with custom ECU and full 3" exhaust, UK-Spec, 1997 in silver. Few small mods to suspension and brakes but nothing major. Fairly quick, runs just over 1.4 bar boost at peak but then the boost tapers at higher revs as the turbo can't keep up. Produces an interesting rolling road plot...

Rolling Road Session

Have been to one Supra meet in Feb 2007 where the more angular styling of my car really made it stand out.

Supra Meet Pics

Have taken it on the track a bit, first trip was to the Nurburgring back in 2003, which was good fun although suffered from a bit of brake fade, and then a broken wastegate actuator clip which meant I lost all boost mid-lap. Ring Racing fixed it for 10 euros which was nice.

Also been to Anglesey, Goodwood and Croft.

I look forward to meeting the rest of you in Dover at some crazily early time :)

Ha - was just waiting for someone to jump on you for claiming to own a 97 Uk-spec.... then I saw the power curve and associated pics!

Thought I would take this opportunity to mention that my group have finally agreed on this date for the Ring so will see you out there. I should be in the Supra, the others are still undecided (non-Supra however). Will arrive Friday lunch time and leave late Sunday afternoon.

I know accomodation will be tricky due to the DTM, but does anyone know of any vacancies (I know its a long shot!)?

Martin

Hi sevenman, welcome,another single supra on the trip, cool, can i ask who youve insured with as mines up for renewing just before we go.

4packet, be good if you can make these dates, there may be some accomadation where we stayed last year, steve has the details for them if needed.

Saab!!, missed that,lol, someone for my bro to race then,:)

Did I read somewhere that your bro had a Sierra with a Cosworth 24v lump in it? I used to run one, fine car it was, possibly the best ever car I'll own if you include cost against fun/reliability and ability to take abuse.

Looking forward to meeting you guys out there. Unfort my pal won't be bringing the screaming Fezza this year due to the noise limits.

Glad I managed to add some confusion before revealing the truth about the car :D

As for racing, "driving quickly" is probably enough for me, my gf is coming along so if I start messing about too much I'll be in all sorts of trouble :blink:

Anyway, 290bhp though the front wheels on fairly standard suspension doesn't make for the fastest track car, but hopefully it'll do ok...

Regarding insurance, this has caused me a lot of work.

You probably know the ring is not really a racetrack, but a German toll road.

This has some consequences

a) Strictly speaking, legally you must have 3rd party cover - unlike usual UK trackdays

b) German police have control

From what I have worked out, the approach seems to be :

1) Check your insurance docs, look for mention of the Nurburgring. If it says it is excluded, then that's bad, or if it says it excludes "derestricted toll roads", that's also bad.

2) Get other insurance quotes, but do not ask the insurer if they will cover you for the ring. They will then either not sell you a policy or make a provision that says it is excluded. Have had helpful feedback from Ben Lovejoy on this.

3) When you have a quote that is ok, ask for them to send you a copy of the policy booklet before you accept since you "really enjoy reading insurance small print". On receipt of this, have a look and see if it is excluded.

4) If it isn't excluded, then you should be covered

However, it is still very much worth driving as if you don't have insurance. Any claim from the Ring is going to be awkward and best avoided. If I trash my car I don't plan to claim, just live with it and the armco bill (can someone give Naomi and I a lift back to the UK?).

Mini update:

Bignum and a few others are planning on staying (almost) overnight at the Ashford Travelodge 30~40 mins from the ferry terminal, the night before we go (i.e. staying the night of Wednesday 23rd & I guess checking out soon after 5am on the 24th).

I'm undecided about what I'll be doing at the moment, but for info to those booked on the trip a room is around the £60 mark if you decide it's a good plan for you. :thumbs:

I booked the Margate Travelodge, £39 for a twin room 17 miles away from Dover

Its not looking good for as of this week on the trip. :(

I'm building a small house at the moment as well as my normal day job and delays/extra costs mean I'll probably be finishing as much of it off myself. I have to get this finished and let out asap so the trip as of now is on hold.

I'm gutted to say the least:(

Sorry Guys.

Its not looking good for as of this week on the trip. :(

I'm building a small house at the moment as well as my normal day job and delays/extra costs mean I'll probably be finishing as much of it off myself. I have to get this finished and let out asap so the trip as of now is on hold.

I'm gutted to say the least:(

Sorry Guys.

Nooo Robbie :(

I'm going to send PMs to everyone who is currently signed up in the next day or so (meant to do it last night), as the cut-off for full deposit payments is just over 3 weeks away. So you have till then to decide/change your mind again. :)