The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TurboFit/JDP Performance

grahamc

Holy crap Dan, really sorry to hear this :(

Thankfully they didn't do any serious work to mine and so everything they did with my car is easily checked. The car is with a race-proven professional as I type having a full rebuild and EVERYTHING is being checked over at the same time.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This last part is relevant to what I'm about to add...

Having been a loyal TF customer, this is my story of my 1 YEAR of Supra ownership:

Late Aug 2006 - Bought T88 Single 6 speed Supra from GordR.

Early Oct 2006 - Engine Blows up on dyno after being convinced to change from F-Con V Pro EMS to AEM EMS - suspected under fueling by faulty injectores. Engine rebuild follows with Arias pistons, Eagle rods, OVERSIZE VALVES, ARP STUDS (please note), etc, etc. New engine successfully mapped. Air con, Fuel low light and stereo not working and not repaired.

Christmas 2006 - Car won't start, AEM CDI fault suspected, Dan T replaces with HKS DLI, no cost.

Spring 2007 - Re-mapping for race fuel and new GT4088 turbo fails to provide more than 1.6 bar, leak suspected, problem not cured. Later, added Koyo Rad and Oil cooler for engine health.

June 2007 - Gearbox chips synchromesh cog and starts to whine... 6 weeks later TF still not got car booked in for gearbox overhaul, finally give up and look elsewhere for work to be done.

July 2007 - Visit JPS who say they will do the work and as requested, check car over for any dodgy previous work. Now, this is where it gets interesting...

Aug 2007 - Inspection reveals: Crap cabling/wiring to the point where a serious fire hazard existed. Crank is totally f**cked due to a large crack/chunk missing, belt also buggered and we now have an engine out scenario! Did I mention that the car had done less than 5000 miles since the rebuild! I spoke to Greg before TF went bust and he agreed to pay JPS to do the work on the crank as TF carried out the rebuild and confessed to not really looking at the crank before putting it back on the car as it's too difficult to see any cracks!

Since then, the crank bearings are found to be shagged accompanied by a fine mix of metal shavings and black sealant!!! Whilst the engine is out, the head is removed to reveal more black gunk and shagged piston rings. The black sealant was used by TF to make an airtight seal for the Greddy Intake manifold!!! This stuff has gone all through the engine and , as Leon suspects, combined with the use of crap engine oil after the rebuild (by TF) has now resulted in a second strip down and rebuild... that's 2 in less than a year! Oh, and there wasn't an oversize valve or an APR head stud in sight!!! :wtfsign:

I actually felt sorry for TF... now I'm raging. They delivered a crank pulley eventually but that's it! They're fortunate to have gone out of business when they did... otherwise they could have gone down for alot more I can tell you! I've now got to put my trust in another tuner/builder and, as I've said to Leon, I will not be paying for another problem with the build so he better get it right. One thing I have learned is not to suggest anything to a tuner... let them advise you and go with what they suggest... that way they can't shake off any responsibility. Leon has suggested going for CP pistons and Carillo rods... I've told him, it's his engine now... he builds it, he oversees the map and only when he is 100% happy with it will he give it back to me...

Oh... and a little bit of information for anyone thinking about going across the road to JDP to have work done on their cars... Atleast 3 guys that worked on my "now f**ked engine" now work there... Personally, I could never go there.

Leon at JPS now has a chance to prove himself to me and all the others that are now questioning where to go and who to trust next...

Watch this space...

PP

Good god alive....

EDITED - Thank you Branners!

As far as I am aware, TF has not gone bankrupt, they are still an active company according to companies house (or whatever it is). I am trying to get more details, as I want to take it further.

Good god alive....

You do realise that Greg works at JPS now :search:

As far as I am aware, TF has not gone bankrupt, they are still an active company according to companies house (or whatever it is). I am trying to get more details, as I want to take it further.

Turbofit decamped to JDP and not JPS.

JPS know of Turbofit and their issues and would never employ Greg or any of the turbofit people.

Guest Chumpalot

These threads worry me.

I've steered clear from posting in them (and rightly so) because I've had no direct experience with TF or any of those mentioned. However, my car has been to TF (roughly a year ago, before I owned it) and something at the back of my mind is telling me to get the car checked over by someone who knows what they're doing.

Yes, my rad catch tank is a Red Bull can. Go me. I wonder what else is lurking under the bonnet now after reading some of the horror stories on here. Things that perhaps someone as clueless as me wouldn't be able to spot.

Due to these threads my car is booked in with Mark at Phoenix on the 5th October for a full engine checkover and full fluid change.

Jeeeez Dan mate

Out of intrest who advised the eagle rods as i know alot of the big tuners say to stay clear of them likle of PHR and MVP actually put this on there websites

Gotta say the lack of ARP stud bolts at the very least is disgusting if thats the case

In my opinion all the things that JPS are telling u have photographed with dated image for any future needs

Can you give an more info on the crank as mine is fucked too

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but in all the years of reading this site (I read long before I joined) I can't remember so much talk of shagged cranks, then we get a plethora of them in 12 months- what are they doing to the cranks?

Does seem odd.

Put it this way, Trial built my car and it ran 600odd bhp for something like 20,000 km before they sold it to me. When Trial did a full rebuild on my engine prior to using it as a show car, they tell me they used totally stock parts. The engine has just been completely stripped down for the rebuild, and apparently the crank looked like new.

So that's 20,000 km at high power and stock internals. Was used as a demo\show car, went round Tsukuba more than once etc. Yet built properly and comes out the other end in great condition.

Apparently the bores were fine, engine looked to be in excellent condition - bit of a shame the rings were worn and compression was down really ! But no issues.

Incidentally, my TRD diff hasn't yet blown up either.

Will look at my emails from Trial later, might have done more than 20,000km actually.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but in all the years of reading this site (I read long before I joined) I can't remember so much talk of shagged cranks, then we get a plethora of them in 12 months- what are they doing to the cranks?

No, you are right. After some attempts by Greg to blame Toyota themselves and their oil pumps :rolleyes: Chris Wilson put a lot of personal time and effort to investigate this claim and reported back that all the damage indicated it was debris-contaminated poor rebuilds causing most of the problems.

Turbofit singlehandedly destroyed the UK reputation of a) single turbo'd Supras as a viable daily runner and b) the bulletproofness of the stock 2JZ-GTE engine during their mercifully short stint in business. Good luck to JDP (Just Don't Pay?). Hopefully people in the Supra community will avoid them like the plague we can recover the reputation.

-Ian

Gobsmacked at everything really. It's heartbreaking when you fork out over £3k with one trader and have to end up selling the car. :(
Could be worse Greg, you could be Pig.

Or Graham

Or Private Pile

Or . . . ?

Actually, I wonder who is down the most £ thanks to TF?

Actually, I wonder who is down the most £ thanks to TF?

We should have a contest. Winner wins a sawn off bit of broomstick.

If you were to fit the main or big end bearings incorrectly, or with the wrong clearances, or not take enough care with cleaning everything and working in an immaculately clean environment when building the engine you could easily end up with a knackered crank.

shit guys, feel for you:(

should I avoid Knight Rider to show we don't want association with these guys....? or are they (KR) good guys just making a potentially bad business move?

I'm looking to get a front bumper respray from the raffle win, which obviously isn't anything mechanical, but all these stories that pop up concern me...

You're often measured not by who you are, but by whom you keep company with...

Don't forget knight racer are a separate company and the only association they have (as far as i know) with turbofit or whoever, is that they shared/share office space. Which to me makes sense as turbofit were well known so sharing the same office was a sound business move at the time. This new company is just down the road. And using the same office space again shouldn't mean that knight racer are affiliated with the new company. Knightracer is run by Albert and Joe Not the turbofit guys.

Some people have had issues with Knight racers work. However i havent, all mine was fine. Read the threads, see the work and make your decision.

We just want to make ourselves clear in regards to this topic. Knight Racer are a completely separate entity from Turbofit or JDP. Knight Racer have been trading for 5 years. When Turbofit started, we were invited to join them. We have now moved our sales office over to 1st floor of JDP, a much larger facility.

We never got involved with how Turbofit ran their business, and we wont get involved with how JDP run theirs.

so can any one tell me why turbofit closed down ps: HELP.......:rolleyes:

You have heard about some of the paint horror stories from KR havent you ?

You have also heard that they dont do a lot of their work themself, but 3rd party it out, I read here that they dont do any of the spray themselves......:search:

sorry to dissagree branners. but i personaly dont see the problem.

Lets say for example (and i know this is extreme but its the same principle) you have a problem with Barclays bank who have an office in canary warf... will you then boycot all companies who trade from there?

If Knight Racer have their own entrance to the building and dont have to go anywhere near JDP then thats fine, but if they have to walk through the JDP reception or workshop then they are in the JDP building and are always going to be associated with them. They have the same address and rent an office from JDP, they will always be associated with JDP.

Im really just saying to Knight Racer that they will never get away from the TF and JDP name while they are in the same (quite small compared to Canary Wharf) building.

I would like to clarify that we had already removed all our stock away from Turbofit premises and already re-located our office before Turbofit ceased trading. So we took the initiative to move away. Whats happened to TF and Greg since, was beyond our control.

Just seems a little to strange to me, that the staff from TF now work for the same place you have now moved to. To much of a coincedence for me. Sorry.

from where i am sitting your bigging them up more than anyones slagging them down:rolleyes: i have used them for a fair bit, although i had no major issues with them, i just could not roll in there for more work, because of the simple fact of they are with them,

Take the money and run seems to spring to mind :(

I hope people are happy that they can rip people off that I considered friends but then many have said they would tell me so

I have a feeling this thread has gone about as far as its going to.

JDP wont be allowed to trade on the forum and this thread will be moved to Supra Chat so that it stays for posterity.

Knight Racer will need to make their own business choices and hopefully bear in mind the feelings of the members towards JDP and Turbofit.

closing the thread. Move along, nothing left to see here.

JB