The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TurboFit/JDP Performance

grahamc

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes we did the work on sams car we put a set of shells in for her and after looking closer at the crank we found it had a hair line crack in it and replaced it

Is this Tickford Engineering on Tanners Drive? A very respected company, if I may say so. How long were you there, I have always been impressed by some of their development work?

Not getting involved in this one, but to answer your question, I don't think so Chris.

We passed Tickford down the road from them (we wondered if it was the tickford of Tickford Capri fame) ?

There's also another garage near there that had two really smart Mustang's there - looked huge.

G

yes it is the tickford from the capri fame its number 8 tanners drive

They have moved on a bit since the conversion days, didn't they do the trimming on the Ford RS200 cars to get them through homologation, and to hopefully sell them all that weren't to be used as Group B cars, amongst many other things? What was your role there, err ????, sorry, can't see your name? What sort of stuff are they into these days, I think they were into cylinder head development at one time, especially multi valve port design?

sorry my name is les,i own jdp,after prodrive brought out tickfords they started shutting the sites down,i did the lpg design and development,tickford has been brought back by a freind of mine and has the tickford wings are back over the door

I cant believe after all thats happened on here you even bother to try to defend yourself. I am over 10 thousand pounds down thanks to the sh1t that the people you are employing did to my car.

Go and get some fully trained and qualifed mechanics or f**k off.

Ah Les, aren't you the guy that worked on my 6 speed gearbox conversion at JPS?

Between you and Leon, I don't know who did what (I'm sure you'll blame each other, as Leon blamed you at the time, and said it was contributory to him sacking you. I'm sure you'll now say that it was down to Leon) there was A LOT of things I had to put right. One of which left me stranded for a couple of days. Thanks guys, glad I payed over the odds for a "professional job".

Hope the new business goes well. Looks like you've taken on the right people for the job.

yes people came from the forum it was good to see uzthedentist car(very nice car) and others thank you all that did turn up and see for yourselves who we are and what we do.we are having another rolling road day soon as requested thanks again,(sorry to you others that made the noises and did not turn up you missed a good day):search::search:

Guest loopyladette
hmmmm very friendly. good way to raise people's trust in you. NOT.

drop the attitude, drop the aggression. drop the tf guys and you may be ok. oh and welcome :rolleyes:

maybe jdp have a bit of attitude because everyone is putting them down without even knowing them??????

i know i would be the same if people were putting me down when they dont know me.....

these jdp peeps seem fair , theyve invited us down to meet them to judge for ourselves and get any questions answered, you cant ask for more than that

all i can say is im going to be grown up about all this and go and meet them first, then judge them

has anybody else thought that jdp have a bit of attitude because everyone is putting them down without even knowing them??????

i know i would be the same if people were putting me down when they dont know me.....

seems like chinese whispers really

these jdp peeps seem fair , theyve invited us down to meet them to judge for ourselves and get any questions answered, you cant ask for more than that

all i can say is im going to be grown up about all this and go and meet them, then judge them, NOT by listening to everyone else`s negative comments... who obviously havent even met them themselves

welcome to the forum. You may want to look in to the recent events with Turbofit to see why any trader that is willing to use their 'expertise' will be given a rough ride.

Added to the fact that the person in charge of JDP also has a history with some members on the forum then I think you may see why its all a bit hostile.

Its all a moot point anyway, JDP will never be allowed to trade on this forum and have pretty much used up their free allocation of friendlyness from me.

JB

has anybody else thought that jdp have a bit of attitude because everyone is putting them down without even knowing them??????

seems like chinese whispers really

all i can say is im going to be grown up about all this and go and meet them, then judge them, NOT by listening to everyone else`s negative comments... who obviously havent even met them themselves

I think you're massively missing the point here.

We DO know them. A LOT of people have had work done by them. The quality of the work done by them is poor at best.

To be honest I'm quite relieved. All the cowboy mechanics seem to have congrigated in one place. I know to avoid this place, so I can therefore avoid the cowboys. Result! ;)

Guest loopyladette

im not saying that you havent got fair points

and yes its good to hear other peoples points of view when it comes to cowboys

i will keep your comments in mind when i do meet them (hopefully in a couple of weeks) and i will have some questions myself

i just wont judge them till i meet them there`s nothing wrong with that

yes people came from the forum it was good to see uzthedentist car(very nice car) and others thank you all that did turn up and see for yourselves who we are and what we do.we are having another rolling road day soon as requested thanks again,(sorry to you others that made the noises and did not turn up you missed a good day):search::search:

So Uzthedentist and "others" turned up then :D.......so maybe it was only uzthedentist that turned up and no other Supra's did :innocent:, dare I ask how many Supra's were there.........?

Interesting IP address matches :innocent:

BTW, I think you're absolutely nuts going to these lot considering their history. TF cost our members tens of thousands of pounds due to shoddy work. Now the same people are working for this other garage owned by someone who got fired from a 'proper' garage due to shoddy workmanship.

Edited to add - Some aspects of their work are still coming to light even now and it's simply shocking just how bad the work is. Sadly there will be more failures to come...

This last part is relevant to what I'm about to add...

Having been a loyal TF customer, this is my story of my 1 YEAR of Supra ownership:

Late Aug 2006 - Bought T88 Single 6 speed Supra from GordR.

Early Oct 2006 - Engine Blows up on dyno after being convinced to change from F-Con V Pro EMS to AEM EMS - suspected under fueling by faulty injectores. Engine rebuild follows with Arias pistons, Eagle rods, OVERSIZE VALVES, ARP STUDS (please note), etc, etc. New engine successfully mapped. Air con, Fuel low light and stereo not working and not repaired.

Christmas 2006 - Car won't start, AEM CDI fault suspected, Dan T replaces with HKS DLI, no cost.

Spring 2007 - Re-mapping for race fuel and new GT4088 turbo fails to provide more than 1.6 bar, leak suspected, problem not cured. Later, added Koyo Rad and Oil cooler for engine health.

June 2007 - Gearbox chips synchromesh cog and starts to whine... 6 weeks later TF still not got car booked in for gearbox overhaul, finally give up and look elsewhere for work to be done.

July 2007 - Visit JPS who say they will do the work and as requested, check car over for any dodgy previous work. Now, this is where it gets interesting...

Aug 2007 - Inspection reveals: Crap cabling/wiring to the point where a serious fire hazard existed. Crank is totally f**cked due to a large crack/chunk missing, belt also buggered and we now have an engine out scenario! Did I mention that the car had done less than 5000 miles since the rebuild! I spoke to Greg before TF went bust and he agreed to pay JPS to do the work on the crank as TF carried out the rebuild and confessed to not really looking at the crank before putting it back on the car as it's too difficult to see any cracks!

Since then, the crank bearings are found to be shagged accompanied by a fine mix of metal shavings and black sealant!!! Whilst the engine is out, the head is removed to reveal more black gunk and shagged piston rings. The black sealant was used by TF to make an airtight seal for the Greddy Intake manifold!!! This stuff has gone all through the engine and , as Leon suspects, combined with the use of crap engine oil after the rebuild (by TF) has now resulted in a second strip down and rebuild... that's 2 in less than a year! Oh, and there wasn't an oversize valve or an APR head stud in sight!!! :wtfsign:

I actually felt sorry for TF... now I'm raging. They delivered a crank pulley eventually but that's it! They're fortunate to have gone out of business when they did... otherwise they could have gone down for alot more I can tell you! I've now got to put my trust in another tuner/builder and, as I've said to Leon, I will not be paying for another problem with the build so he better get it right. One thing I have learned is not to suggest anything to a tuner... let them advise you and go with what they suggest... that way they can't shake off any responsibility. Leon has suggested going for CP pistons and Carillo rods... I've told him, it's his engine now... he builds it, he oversees the map and only when he is 100% happy with it will he give it back to me...

Oh... and a little bit of information for anyone thinking about going across the road to JDP to have work done on their cars... Atleast 3 guys that worked on my "now f**ked engine" now work there... Personally, I could never go there.

Leon at JPS now has a chance to prove himself to me and all the others that are now questioning where to go and who to trust next...

Watch this space...

PP