The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbofit Trader Status Removed

Branners

Guys can we lay off the personal critism. Its uncomfortable as a fellow member to read character bashing as this isnt the idea of the forum and a bit low to be honest.

We are all here to enjoy our supra ownership and help each other out..........can we leave the personal attacks and keep things factual and constructive.

If this post is directed my way then perhaps you may want to consider that I was expressing an opinion not a character bashing as quite brashly put it and as in my previous post I have apologised for jumping to conclusions and was not aware if the facts

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did just send a huge rant by e-mail to Matt at work, but now it's retracted it's unnecessary :)

In short Matt was also threatened, and as Tom says not a lot of people know what sheer hell he was put through. We saw a lot of Tom while everything was going on and it wasn't good at all seeing a friend suffer like that.

We'll see what happens when the next "tuner" that knows their way round a supra turns up.

Chantelle

Wether directed at you or me Ian I think it was probably just accidental timing. Maybe it looked like we were about to have a heated one, but two sensible gentlemen sorted it out before it got that way.

You were one I haven't a clue who the other is though :D

Maybe there could be some way of altering the status of members who have known expertise in certain areas so that their advice would be heeded a little better or taken as more valuable.

That is an awesome idea!!! I have no clue on how to get it going, but maybe the mods should pick the people they classify as the technical gurus, and give them an honourary title of some sorts? :blink:

Didnt say they had said it on the forum, more behind my back. I think your idea of charachter is obviously different to mine, so lets agree to disagree without starting up a side line arguement.

Point is, after most people have turned on you for attemting to out their favourite tuner for poor workmanship etc, is their much left for you to enjoy? Not in my case. I even got phone calls at home from people I'd never met that were members on here, just calling to slag me off. I cant have that and neither can my other half.

I just believe that you would get to a point, and it would not be worth the effort anymore. The fighting, the arguements on the forum, the expense, it goes on. I am just glad that I did not have as much work done on my car...

I did just send a huge rant by e-mail to Matt at work, but now it's retracted it's unnecessary :)

In short Matt was also threatened, and as Tom says not a lot of people know what sheer hell he was put through. We saw a lot of Tom while everything was going on and it wasn't good at all seeing a friend suffer like that.

We'll see what happens when the next "tuner" that knows their way round a supra turns up.

Chantelle

Shocking!! Never good to hear things like that.... Scary!

You could still do that under your own ID.

Yeah agreed, would be more beneficial to know if its actually Matt Harwood thats posting or his partner...I gather you dont voice the same opinions on all matters...

I dont think it should be the mods' 'job' to group tech's, they are after all only human and are going to be biased to who they have had work done by before e.t.c

Its a forum for discussion, and advice(take it at will) you guys obviously have the net, do some research before you go spending your many thousands and stop blaming others.

What I cant understand is if you guys were willing to pay top dollar why not go to someone with a top reputation...rather than one influenced by 'popular' members who have barely any technical knowlegde at all other than 'it works'

From what I have learned box shifters are always going to be box shifters and mechanics are always going to be mechanics, I know what group of people I'd rather take my car too

Yeah agreed, would be more beneficial to know if its actually Matt Harwood thats posting or his partner...I gather you dont voice the same opinions on all matters...

The at the end of posts kind of give it away to me the perhaps thats just me :innocent:

What I cant understand is if you guys [eg All people with issues] were willing to pay top dollar why not go to someone with a top reputation...rather than one [tuner] influenced by 'popular' members who have barely any technical knowlegde at all other than 'it works'

Probably because the people with issues aren't aware that the people recommending said tuner - barely have any technical knowlegde at all other than 'it works'. So, consequently accept what they're [All people with issues] being told without questioning it.

EG - He says it's good - recommendations etc .. So, it must be good.

I dont think it should be the mods' 'job' to group tech's, they are after all only human and are going to be biased to who they have had work done by before e.t.c

Its a forum for discussion, and advice(take it at will) you guys obviously have the net, do some research before you go spending your many thousands and stop blaming others.

What I cant understand is if you guys were willing to pay top dollar why not go to someone with a top reputation...rather than one influenced by 'popular' members who have barely any technical knowlegde at all other than 'it works'

From what I have learned box shifters are always going to be box shifters and mechanics are always going to be mechanics, I know what group of people I'd rather take my car too

Generally the mods have been around awhile, and know most of the people, especially the techies. I am not talking about traders, I am talking about members, that know and understand our cars, workmanship, etc. The likes of Alex, Matt Harwood, IanC, etc.

The reason being, that when I started on the forum, I and asked about turbofit, Matt spoke to me, but so did many others and the good out weighed the bad, by far. If Matt had have had a little techie guru (1 of 8 people) I would (hopefully) have been a lot more inclined to look elsewhere for the work to be done on my car.

At the time turbfit DID have a good reputation... Hence why I liked the GURU title idea, for select memebers.

The at the end of posts kind of give it away to me the perhaps thats just me :innocent:

Thanks Ian, I thought it was fairly obvious too :)

She's just airing her opinion based on what shes seen 'behind the scenes', and how it affected both me, and the people we know and saw.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing ;)

ahh, now thats a tricky one. At what point do we go public with issues that we are aware of? Is it when we hear 1 complaint, or 5 complaints or even when the great technical minds of the forum point out some serious short-comings?

i think it should be when at the first sign of trouble a trader threatens a long standing member you know to be of sound character..............

But who decides who is a "guru"?

Shouldn't all traders be "gurus" by definition?

Thing is, generally the trader outsources the work, so their in no position to advise on rebuilds e.t.c other than to plug their own products,

But some of the traders on here have a very good background knowledge of the supra, which can be more beneficial than taking advice from a mechanic who has never worked on a sup at times.

On the other hand some of the work I've seen from traders(even on here) confirms that they are not always technically apt

But who decides who is a "guru"?

Shouldn't all traders be "gurus" by definition?

This is why the trader background checks, history, certifications and accreditations is useful as it is less subjective.

traders are traders... The guru would be from a member base only. I dont think a GURU trader would be fair...

But do agree with what you are saying about checks on traders. What are the current steps taken by the mods when a new traders wants to join through to when they actually get their trader status?

But do agree with what you are saying about checks on traders. What are the current steps taken by the mods when a new traders wants to join through to when they actually get their trader status?

They provide some intro blurb and we have a vote.

I've not been able to bring myself to vote on the Replikit thread for two reasons:

1) Although they're building a 'factory', what does this mean. Are they qualified in body work skills? What is their background? 7 years experience sounds good - but in what. Is this combined experience between workers (that old trick)? Can they financially support 100% happy guarantees? etc

2) Should we allow copyright breaches that could affect current traders who sell the official merchandise?

3) I refuse to read the rest of that thread for fear of being unfairly swayed by personal opinions.

I dunno how I would proceed with the whole process, it's worked pretty well up until now really. Unless you give people a chance we could be missing out. Are we just being too serious about it all?

Trader comes along, seems ok, rips someone off, goodbye trader. It's a fairly simple plan.