The mkiv Supra Owners Club

She's Alive :)

Nic

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with it Nic, nice spec!

Thanks Chris, coming from you that means a lot :)

BTW anyone looking for a good quality exhaust that gives a good sound without being overly noisey, I would definitely recommend the GReddy Ti-R. I had a problem with the fit of the ARC Ti full turbo back system which I had fitted, as it did not use the standard flanges (3 bolt instead of 2), so would have needed hacking up and modifying to fit the PHR mid pipe. Decided in the end to replace with a GReddy Ti-R (full titanium) cat back exhaust, I wanted a relatively quite exhaust, so as not to attract too much unwanted attention. Very pleased with the results, gives a good burble when ticking over and a very 'racy', but not offensively loud note at higher rpm's, perfect for what I wanted.

so did you get another engine in the end or did you rebuild your old one? glad to hear you are up and running again

I got lucky and found a cheap, low mileage 2JZGTE VVTi engine from a JZS161 Aristo. The VVTi head was removed and swapped for my original non-VVTi head, which fortunately wasn't damaged. I then had the bottom end of the engine rebuilt with all new OEM main bearings.

Good effort, sounds like you've made more than a good recovery from a disaster.

Is there a thread on what happened to your last lump, wouldn't mind a quick look........ I'm a sucker for a good Horror story........ as long as it has a happy ending!:)

Sounds like youv'e got a lot on your plate Nic, but you'll shortly have a PM from moi bout summink i've almost forgot about.......;)

Good effort, sounds like you've made more than a good recovery from a disaster.

Is there a thread on what happened to your last lump, wouldn't mind a quick look........ I'm a sucker for a good Horror story........ as long as it has a happy ending!:)

Okay you asked for it, here is the saga:

I've not got any pics of my FUBAR'd engine, but basically one of my j-spec turbos decided to blow big style. I'd been running my car at around 1.25bar for 5 years, with the turbos running in parallel. Back in October I was doing a run into the city, trundling along at 50mph-ish, I accelated steadily in third, then bang from the engine bay and a big ploom of smoke out of the exhaust. I knew immediately what had happened as I lost all boost. I was on a dual carriageway at the time, so had to limp a couple of miles before I was able to pull over. As I came off the dual carriageway, the exhaust started pouring bluish smoke out of the back, the engine was still running, so presumed it was oil getting past the turbo seals into the exhaust.

So thinking the exhaust side that had shattered and been spat out of the tailpipe I had a choice to make. Do I find a second hand set of OEM turbos, replace with brand new OEM turbos, or fit a single kit on her. There were no second hand turbos available at the time locally and I was nervous about going down this route, as it could quite easily happen again. I priced up a new pair of turbos and they were big money and again I could have the same issue down the line. As I already had the majority of the supporting mods for a relatively small single, this is the route I decided upon.

I sought advice (thanks Terry and others), did my research and put together a kit which I thought should provide me with what I wanted, ie, a responsive street weapon. Parts were ordered, these took a few weeks to arrive, it was now December and I had all the parts, so time for the old turbos to be stripped off. This was when it was discovered that not only was the exhaust turbine missing, so was the compressor side and that both the intake pipes and engine oil had fragments of metal in them. So basically my engine had injected a big lump of metal. That was not a happy day :blink: :( :cry:

Not knowing what internal damage had been done, I decided to get the engine removed and the head and sump stipped off. Most of the bores had been scored, 2 of them badly with the corner of 2 pistons chipped away. The only good news was that the head had survived virtually un-scathed, all the valves were fine and there was just very minor pitting.

By this time I had a single kit, but no working engine, reboring and completely rebuilding was an option, but a VERY expensive one, so I looked around for a replacement engine. I got very lucky and found a lowish mileage JZS161 Aristo VVTi engine, at a bargain price :)

I did some research and found that converting the electronics over to run the VVTi head was going to be extremely complcated, so decided to swap my old head over onto the replacement engine (thanks Ian). I also took the opportunity to get the bottom end rebuilt, so it would be in good running order, ready to receive the single kit.

So that is basically it, the engine is back in, the kit is fitted and she is very close to being ready to collect after almost 5 months of being off the road.

Can't wait to drive her again :)

Glad it's all working and better than ever Nic :)

Just one thing I'm curious on.. the turbo cold side apparently disintegrating and going through your engine. Am I correct in thinking that the cold side of the Jap turbos is metal (not ceramic), and has to go through (over?) the valves in order to actually get into the engine?

HTF did it not wreck the head then?