350Z or not???

Scooby

Chop the Supra in for a 350Z  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Chop the Supra in for a 350Z

• Keep The Supra
    • Get A 350Z

:Popcorn:

I'm enjoying this, at the end of the day you spend your money on what you want.

I'd rather have an old car that's done most of it's depreciation and is a legend rather than a new wannbe that will be forgotten before it even goes out of production lol

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lotus49

I love the 350Z. It may not be as powerful as a lot of Supras, but it handles superbly. There is a big difference between a car having a lot of power and actually being quick on a real road, particularly if peak power comes in a huge surge in the last 200 RPM.

The most important thing about a car (IMNAAHO) is how it goes round a corner after all "Straights are just the boring bits that join the corners." (Sir Stirling Moss) and the 350Z does that very nicely. I have driven quite a few recent performance cars and I was very impressed with the grip and balance in the 350Z. I am not saying the Supra doesn't handle but it takes more than power to make a quick car.

I also think the 350Z is a real looker and I'm convinced it will be a classic, although it's clearly too early to tell yet.

I suggest you keep the Supra, but rob a bank and get a 350Z as well.

FFS!

the supra does handle well and can be made to handle very well

the supra has a massive spread of power and torque! it doesn't all come in a bang within 200rpm, quite the contrary with positive turbo boost as low as 1500rpm it's probably got a wider spread of power than most NAs

I'd say the looks are dated already, like the new ford focus and the new shape celica, somethings just don't work well

Please stop it, I'm sure your appreciation is much better placed on the Z forum?

Hi Edd,

Whilst having owned many Supra's, I love the Z, and will have one as my next car, and our next demo car will be a Z, so don't take this too personally :)

While your comments naturally favour the 350Z, theres a few harsh realitys. A stock Supra is quicker in every way than a Z. Drag, track, circuit etc etc.

The Zed has an advanced engine, no doubt. But the Supra's was years ahead of its time. No manufacturer will ever make an engine better than a VVTi 2JZ-GTE.

Oh and by the way, our Supra is faster in every way than a McLaren F1 ;)

Gaz.

Guest lotus49
[swearing excised]

the supra has a massive spread of power and torque! it doesn't all come in a bang within 200rpm, quite the contrary with positive turbo boost as low as 1500rpm it's probably got a wider spread of power than most NAs

I wasn't suggesting that this is not true for a standard Supra, but half of the responses here have been comparing a standard 350Z with a tuned Supra and there have been plenty of discussions on this forum about peaky torque curves in tuned Supras. All I was saying was that 600BHP doesn't necessarily make a car fast on a real road, particularly where I live - there aren't any straight bits up here.

Please stop it, I'm sure your appreciation is much better placed on the Z forum?

I'm sure you are right, after all, the Supra is the only good car ever made and to suggest otherwise seems to be a hanging offence on this forum. I think the Mk IV is a great car (why would I even be reading this if I didn't think so) but there are other great cars out there too.

I wasn't suggesting that this is not true for a standard Supra, but half of the responses here have been comparing a standard 350Z with a tuned Supra and there have been plenty of discussions on this forum about peaky torque curves in tuned Supras. All I was saying was that 600BHP doesn't necessarily make a car fast on a real road, particularly where I live - there aren't any straight bits up here.

that is down to tuning. 600bhp cars can be very streetable and not have tiny power bands. If tuned to the extreme for 1400bhp then of course the power will be snappy, it's a trade off and you tune to suit the application - that is not the fault of the supra, it's basic tuning that would apply to any car.

I'm sure you are right, after all, the Supra is the only good car ever made and to suggest otherwise seems to be a hanging offence on this forum. I think the Mk IV is a great car (why would I even be reading this if I didn't think so) but there are other great cars out there too.

There are lots of great cars, unfortunately some I really love are well out of my price range - but I would never claim the supra is the best car but I will refute claims that the 350z has what it takes to be better than it...

Guest lotus49
There are lots of great cars, unfortunately some I really love are well out of my price range - but I would never claim the supra is the best car but I will refute claims that the 350z has what it takes to be better than it...

I probably shouldn't be arguing with you. After all, I am here because I am thinking of chopping my STi for a Supra. I never seriously considered the 350Z, much as I like it.

Perhaps the original poster is in the same position as me. I love my STi, but I feel I have done the Impreza thing now after 6 years in the fold and I would like a change. Sometimes it's not a matter of which is better, but just looking for a different experience and I am pretty sure that no-one here would argue that the Supra and the 350Z will both give their owners plenty of fun, just in different ways.

Sometimes it's not a matter of which is better, but just looking for a different experience and I am pretty sure that no-one here would argue that the Supra and the 350Z will both give their owners plenty of fun, just in different ways.

amen! all cars have their fans and everyones taste differs anyway!! Everyone wants different things out of a car so there will always be fans of differing cars.

having a few different types of car helps you appreciate what is good and bad in other cars.

there is no such thing as the perfect car, a car is a bunch of trade-offs between one thing and another. Pick your trade-offs to give you the best of the things you care about. On here it is mostly looks and performance - safety, fuel economy, 'greeness', practicallity hardly ever get a look in on here, you get the picture ;)

Guest Chubbylover

...there is no such thing as the perfect car, a car is a bunch of trade-offs between one thing and another. Pick your trade-offs to give you the best of the things you care about. On here it is mostly looks and performance...

OK I've had enough of being polite, sitting here and taking ill-informed abuse and prejudice about the Zed. I agree that there is no such thing as the perfect car - You're absolutely right. There is also no such thing as 'the perfect looking car', because people have differing aesthetics. Personally I'd say that although the body shapes of the Zed and Supra are similar, the Zed is much more attractive, more modern looking, less dated and altogether less 'chavvy' in appearance.

As far as performance is concerned - You guys really like to compare the uncomparable, don't you!!!! Chilli - the Zed and the Lotus are TOTALLY DIFFERENT MACHINES! The way you protest so loudly about the Zed makes me wonder - 'Methinks he doth protest too much!' I think you're either worried or a secret Zed lover who doesn't want to admit it on here.

Yes, if it's out and out straight line speed in a dated looking old machine with an obsecenely ridiclous carrying handle for a wing you're after - go for a Supra. If it's looks, good performance and head-turning style you want - the Zed wins every time and always will. It already is a modern classic and it will become a total classic in 20 years, unlike the Supra, which is already fading into obscurity at an alarming rate.

If it's looks, good performance and head-turning style you want - the Zed wins every time and always will. It already is a modern classic and it will become a total classic in 20 years, unlike the Supra, which is already fading into obscurity at an alarming rate.

There is no way the zed will be a modern classic in 20 years, quite simply because they are not built well enough to last 20 years (take a look at what the 280 and the original 300's look like now)....most of them will become well-thrashed, knackered, rusting crocks of $hite.....

Guest Chubbylover
chubby, get a life, your starting to rant. The Z isn't anything special, get over it! :)

Yes, I admit I've joined the ranting party a bit later than you - As for "get a life", I was under the impression that ranting WAS life over here :)

The Zed is special and you're in denial! (understandably)

Sports car, yes....special, Nooooooooooooo

"In my opinion, the current 350Z (I’d rather its called Fairlady) is one of the most soul-less Japanese sports car. Its design doesn’t echoe abit of Nissan heritage. The interior looked bland, or a pimped 80’s interior. This is one of the worst designed cars from Nissan. But its a successful one, WHY? Designed by Americans, for the American market."

The 350 engine is basically an Espace engine yes?

Here's the difference, the 2JZ is based on the 1JZ, so read and digest:

"The 1JZ TT engine must have been a loss leader, the use of T2000 steel for the bearing shells shows fanatical design care, the machining of the con-rods is almost sculptural, the pistons are 'single form' units, the alloy in the block the most durable alloy available outside Formula 1, it costs an absolute fortune to be this fussy!"

I somehow don't think Renault were that fussy about the Espace engine.....:D

All I'm hearing right now are sad comments about price and status about some 25k Jap car.. get over yourselves. I've heard the same shite from S2000, Boxter and even 7th Gen Celica owners. :rolleyes: No one cares about how much the car costs or what its worth, its owned because of preference not about how much people can afford.

No mate, you're referring to the MY'05 (276bhp), but as I said in my post I'm referring to the MY'06 - the new model (296bhp), which AS I SAID is 0-62 in 5.8, or 0-60 in 5.7 - so get your facts right before arguing.

...and unlike you, I wasn't COMPARING the two cars, because as I've said before, they are different beasts, I was just giving Scooby some information.

So this information currently on Nissan's UK website referring to the 300PS (295HP) 350Z is incorrect then?:

http://www.nissan.co.uk/home/vehicles/passenger/Z33/performance/index.html

You'd better inform Nissan UK. :rolleyes:

And if you weren't comparing the two cars, why spontaneously post up in gear speeds in response to someone posting up in gear speeds for the Supra?

:looney: