The mkiv Supra Owners Club

350Z or not???

Scooby

Chop the Supra in for a 350Z  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Chop the Supra in for a 350Z

• Keep The Supra
    • Get A 350Z

Well I've voted "buy the zed" ........ although it doesn't harm to keep a choice of both !!!!!

They both have merits, if it's a weekend blast yes the supe is hard to beat but you'e gotta remember it was circa £40k new, the zed is £25k ....... pounds per grin that's a pretty good ration when you compare like for like !!!!!!

Obviously the stock tt is more rapid in a straight line but the zed IS better in corners and a decent driver will get more out of the zed IMHO (and I'm NOT a decent driver before you get started) ...... Admittedly if you start playing with a tt then yes, you'll get better handling and performance ....... but has anyone been out in a 420 bhp twin turbo 350 zed ...... rapid and it handles !!!! and that's for £10k on mods ....... there's TT supras on here that have had £20k plus spent on mods to make them as formidable as they undoubtedly are !!!!!!

Side by side, they both look great, I personally think madam's supe pips my 350 but only sfter I've done a lot of polishing !!!!!! and it's close !!!!! To dive, I'll take the 350 every time ...... much more comfortable, fewer rattles and it sits better on 19" rims ....... we're asking a lot of the old bird to do the same !!!!!!!

My verdict ....... HAVE BOTH :p :p :p :p :p :p Oh ...... and a motorbike too !!!!!

My Zed ....... on last years Midland Gumball

Madam's Supe ....... on last years Midland Gumball

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

350Z is one of the very few newish cars that i'd buy. Plus now that the 3 year warranty's up with some of them, a lot of tuning options are available. Just don't know how strong and well made the car is (compared to the supra). Larry at SP has got a supercharged 350Z now too i think

Just don't know how strong and well made the car is (compared to the supra). Larry at SP has got a supercharged 350Z now too i think

So far ....... it would appear it's every bit as bullet proof as the supe straight six ...... the engine is about as lazy and within itself and to be honest, that horrible interior is wearing better than my merc slk did at 12 months old !!!!!!!

Blowers are very possible - and a DIY job if you know your way without a Haynes manual as someone did it last year in the zed club - with standard engine internals but twin turbo needs lots of new bits !!!!!!

The only thing that has suggested it may be weak if heavily abused is the clutch ........ can't really add much on that front though, mine seems fine !

Only pain is that you can only get an auto box as a jap inport ....... uk cars are all manual six speed boxes !

Yep, agreed!!

You know guys, you see a Supe passing you on the motorway and people look at it in amazement; wide body; sitting low; wheels to match and an immense graceful presence powering it up the fast lane!

Then on the other hand, you have the raped badgers arse of the 350 that looks as if its on a fast school run and where Nissan have painted it in some atrocious colour to make up for it's lack of presence as a sports car

Can we now move on from this thread and compare the differences between the Nissan Micra and the Supe; that could be a total waist of time as well!:giveup: :ecstatic: :shock:

What horrible ass ........ just shake it and it looks great :search: :search: :search: ;)

[qimg]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/afreemason/2005_0805Image0004.jpg[/qimg]

Ok I am gonna put it to you guys.

I went and test drove the new 300bhp 350Z this weekend and and considering choping my supra in for one.

They just look so pretty in the blue, I know there not that fast but they drive really well and ozzzz class.

What do you think?

:search:

I think you should answer my pm ;)

Nice cars, newer than the supe. A 'worthy' upgrade.

Yep, agreed!!

You know guys, you see a Supe passing you on the motorway and people look at it in amazement; wide body; sitting low; wheels to match and an immense graceful presence powering it up the fast lane!

Had to read that twice ...... didn't realise you were talking about the supe and not the zed :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :p Zed usually gets more looks than the supra's to be honest and we see a lot less zeds than supe, still the old bird has been around a LOT longer now hasn't it :p

:nyah: :nyah: :nyah: :)

but has anyone been out in a 420 bhp twin turbo 350 zed ...... rapid and it handles !!!! and that's for £10k on mods ....... there's TT supras on here that have had £20k plus spent on mods to make them as formidable as they undoubtedly are !!!!!!

so you are saying you need to spend 10K to get 420 bhp? you get that on a supe for 1K. i like the 350, and if you want a newer car they are a good choice. undoubtably a more modern feel, but it dont stir the blood like the supe.just depends what you are looking for.

so you are saying you need to spend 10K to get 420 bhp? you get that on a supe for 1K. i like the 350, and if you want a newer car they are a good choice. undoubtably a more modern feel, but it dont stir the blood like the supe.just depends what you are looking for.

Just a grand ....... what's that then ?????? Must admit I'm shocked ...... thought it would cost a lot more ?????

Guest eddmac

1k to get 420bhp on a supra - I think you've been at the NO2 mate.

Even if you could get that for 1k - the 350Z would disappear round the first bend while you went through the hedge backwards, as your 13 year old suspension and brakes wouldn't be able to cope.

420 bhp would be in a mild state of tune on the TT 350z BTW - 460bhp is easily achievable with decent setup and tuning.

On the crappy Renault engine that some have mentioned - who won the F1 last season? and where did Toyota come?

I appreciate that you are biased towards your favourite motor - but face reality - it's at least a 15 year old design - albeit with a very tunable engine - lets see what kind of power that 350Z's are putting out in another 10 years time shall we?

To the people that said 350z's are common - i've got to laugh - look up the numbers of cars registered in the UK and compare Supra's and 350Z's and then tell me what is a common car lol

Oh, and Hi Glynn :)

1k to get 420bhp on a supra - I think you've been at the NO2 mate.

Even if you could get that for 1k - the 350Z would disappear round the first bend while you went through the hedge backwards, as your 13 year old suspension and brakes wouldn't be able to cope.

420 bhp would be in a mild state of tune on the TT 350z BTW - 460bhp is easily achievable with decent setup and tuning.

On the crappy Renault engine that some have mentioned - who won the F1 last season? and where did Toyota come?

I appreciate that you are biased towards your favourite motor - but face reality - it's at least a 15 year old design - albeit with a very tunable engine - lets see what kind of power that 350Z's are putting out in another 10 years time shall we?

To the people that said 350z's are common - i've got to laugh - look up the numbers of cars registered in the UK and compare Supra's and 350Z's and then tell me what is a common car lol

Oh, and Hi Glynn :)

I agree with parts of your post...the biggest exception being the brakes thing...UK spec brakes arn't to be dismissed lightly even after 14 years.

Guest eddmac
I agree with parts of your post...the biggest exception being the brakes thing...UK spec brakes arn't to be dismissed lightly even after 14 years.

Fair enough - but youve got to agree that the standard brake lines wouldn't b up to much at that age and how many would have changed the brake fluid as regularly as they should once the car is out of warranty. - The seals etc and possibly the master cylinder could all do with replacing at that age I would imagine?

I would like the whole braking system to be at the very least totally reconditioned at that age in a performance car!

(I'm a "former" 350Z owner btw)

I've never owned a Supe, but I did test drive one and found it to be too "old fashioned" for my liking, although being "cheap as chips" does make for an interesting proposition.

1K for a 420 bhp Supra? Ok, if you say so!

The supra is an excellent piece of kit and looks really nice. Can go fairly quickly too. A design classic and I ve seen some of the really nicely modded ones guys on here have. However, it has been around for around 12-13 years and has started looking dated. Also, quite a few of them around.

The 350Z is modern looking and I think might turn out to be a design classic in time too. It is very driveable and handles like a dream. I like it's rarity and the fact that it sounds and looks lovely. And before you ask, yes, I have one.

I wont get into arguments about which one is better as they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Besides, it would be really boring if we all liked the same thing.

Hi Edd and Glynn!!!

Decat exhaust, fuel pump for safety, boost controller if you must, get the pressure up to 1.2bar, and it'll match your ten grand modded 350z btw. In the power stakes at least. As for all that crap about the brake lines and seals, you can't on one hand say "it's 10 years old therefore it's worse than my brand new 350" and then say "the 350 will have loads more tuning options in 10 years time therefore it's better than a Supra now". Pick a lane :)

Our door cards are nicer too :p

-Ian

Guys I think I might be under valuing madam's supe ....... I did have to take it out last night as I had to pick up two mates and needed a sensible family car with a back seat :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: See the Supra has it's place in our house ......... sensible family car :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Hang on, I just remembered something - I just don't care about which car anyone else thinks is betterrer or how much is 'costed'. I guess you get what you pay for :shrug:

-Ian

Fair enough!

Nice sig btw. :)

Fair enough - but youve got to agree that the standard brake lines wouldn't b up to much at that age and how many would have changed the brake fluid as regularly as they should once the car is out of warranty. - The seals etc and possibly the master cylinder could all do with replacing at that age I would imagine?

"Imagine" as in guess as in you haven't a clue?

Guest eddmac
Oh good, someone from ireland talking about cars he's never driven :rolleyes:

-Ian

I didnt say i hadnt driven one - i said i hadnt owned one - If you were able to read the whole post you would have seen this.

As for all that crap about the brake lines and seals, you can't on one hand say "it's 10 years old therefore it's worse than my brand new 350" and then say "the 350 will have loads more tuning options in 10 years time therefore it's better than a Supra now". Pick a lane

You're a laugh a minute mate - before you get your panties up in a bunch you should read what youre talking about :rolleyes:

I would say that Yes the supe can match (or beat) the 350Z in the power stakes, fair enough. I was simply pointing out that there was 10 - 15 years development in those power figures. If the 350Z after 4 years development was able to put out 450 - 500 bhp, in 10 years time there will probably be similair figures.

However, the Supra and the 350Z are NOT directly comparable cars. The Supra is an older car with an older design and the 350Z is newer. You have to bear in mind that the Supra was much more expensive when it originally came out than the 350Z is now.

I'm not saying "my car is better than yours" because after all, i don't have a 350Z - another point that you missed Ian. I'm pointing out some points to those of you that haven't had the benefit of owning a 350Z and giving a different point of view - surely even you can appreciate that?.

Why don't you take a leaf out of Alex's book and be a bit more mature and constructive about your answers instead of resorting to insults ;)

"Imagine" as in guess as in you haven't a clue?

ha ha - didnt read that one - thanks alex! Rish is right - would you want to take risks with the braking system when buying an old high performance car Alex ?