1. 1. Chop the Supra in for a 350Z

• Keep The Supra
    • Get A 350Z

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Supra vs 350z

It's apples and oranges - but for the nigh on 25-30k list price of the 350z you can have a 600BHP Supra on trick suspension with Brembo's all round that'll piss on the 350Z all day long...but the Supra won't be new.

Guest eddmac
As for the Supra vs 350z

It's apples and oranges - but for the nigh on 25-30k list price of the 350z you can have a 600BHP Supra on trick suspension with Brembo's all round that'll piss on the 350Z all day long...but the Supra won't be new.

True - but I think that the 350Z has a better chassis and the times round a track may not go exactly as you would think, but on a drag strip it would be a different story :)

BUT and its a big but, for 15k you can buy a 3 year old 350Z and for 10k (it can be done cheaper mind!) you can tt it, so 25k will get you approaching

500BHP - not as good as the Supra I agree, but its close and the 350Z comes with Brembos as standard ;)

But as you say Alex - it's apples and oranges. Each have their merits and its down to personal choice at the end of the day.

:rlol: that's some funny shit right there :) EDIT bah, pesky replies :) That line is meant for me being mature like Alex, not your latest post ;)

OK bucko, cast your eyes back to my initial post where I said I rather liked the 350z for a start. Then the 350 boyz waded in with the predictable "Meep meep meep", with the usual arguments made of gossamer and netting. Spot the unreconcilable arguments:

"1K for a 420 bhp Supra? Ok, if you say so!" (we have no idea about tuning Supras)

"there was 10 - 15 years development in those power figures" (we have 15 years of experience tuning Supras)

"All this on a totally standard car that costed how much new?" (it's an expensive car)

"although being "cheap as chips" does make for an interesting proposition" (it's a cheap car)

Hence my "pick a lane" comment. Glad to see, also, that you haven't got a Soop *or* a 350Z, excellent basis for a long term ownership discussion.

The car is fine. It's NA, it's less powerful, it's newer, it doesn't lunch it's front tyres any more, it's got nasty door cards and is somehow more impractical than a Supra, it's half the price new. I think it looks nice and the seats are good. The handbrake is in the wrong place :) It's not realistically going to go round corners a lot faster or stop faster (unless the brakes are on the verge of failing due to lack of regular maintenance :rlol: ) and it doesn't go forwards faster but then it's cheaper and newer and shinier, so who cares :blink: It's the uber-protective attitude that got up my nose, wading on here and causing trouble. Of course, our own members talked enough shite :D but that was mostly about the looks and the trim, which are down to personal taste :shrug:

-Ian

PS soz about the irish comment, that was because the last two recently banned members (out of about 5 total in 4 years) were from ireland and basically came on here to cause trouble...

I think the other thing that's not being mentioned is the reliability of a modded car. Quite a few of the Supra's on here have suffered with reliability problems when serious mods have been performed. My brother in arms CJ will testify that although the Orange beastie was 600 bhp plus, it was bloody hard work keeping it on the road ...... and I seem to remember if was off the road not long after he sold it. OK, the jury is out on the TT 350's at the moment but the blown cars have proved very reliable.

And for those just visiting this thread a point of etiquet ....... there's no one who takes the pi55 out of Normally Aspirated Supra owners more than TT supra owners ....... so I'm not even going there !!!!!!! :tongue: bar stewards :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Right then ......... so what we're basically saying is that this discussion is a great little catalyst for a rather spirited day out at the 2006 MIDLAND'S GUMBALL where the 350's will again be in attendance ........... looks like an ideal opportunity to compare the two mota's in question then chaps

............. I'm expecting a high attendance again then !!!!!!

Last year ....... THE CAR IN FRONT WAS A NISSAN

....................... or was it

I can't believe this can even be argued about TBH. IMHO the 350Z is a step down from the 300ZX, and both are not a patch on the supra which was a really big statement that justified the big asking price. The supra cuts no corners and is a proven platform to make sub 8s drag racers, 250mph+ supercars, do very well in GT racing (super gt) and the list goes on.

You can't really say the supra is worse because it is older. Some will be in better condition after 10 years than a badly looked after 350Z after 1 or 2 years. It's more how the car has been looked after and cared for over time, some are 'better than new' even now and that is quite something!

PS: I bpu'd my car for less than 1k, what is the big deal? It will crank out massively more torque than the NA 350Z too, I think it would be a no contest and you'd have to dig deep in your pockets to match it.

Guest eddmac

"1K for a 420 bhp Supra? Ok, if you say so!" (we have no idea about tuning Supras)

"there was 10 - 15 years development in those power figures" (we have 15 years of experience tuning Supras)...

How do you get an extra 150bhp out of a Supra for 1k - i'm not arguing - just interested? (I assume that this figure does not include any labour costs only parts?

"All this on a totally standard car that costed how much new?" (it's an expensive car)

"although being "cheap as chips" does make for an interesting proposition" (it's a cheap car)

It WAS an expensive car - it's NOT now - I can't see how there can be any argument here?

Hence my "pick a lane" comment. Glad to see, also, that you haven't got a Soop *or* a 350Z, excellent basis for a long term ownership discussion.

ha ha - I DID have a 350Z and enjoyed putting many miles up on it - before a new arrival meant a family car replacement - Glyn tried to get me to buy a "soop" and told me that it was immensely practical - but I went with something with 4 doors instead. I have driven and been driven in several different "soops" - I seriously thought about buying one at one stage too - but decided it wasn't for me.

The car is fine. It's NA, it's less powerful, it's newer, it doesn't lunch it's front tyres any more, it's got nasty door cards and is somehow more impractical than a Supra, it's half the price new. I think it looks nice and the seats are good. The handbrake is in the wrong place :) It's not realistically going to go round corners a lot faster or stop faster (unless the brakes are on the verge of failing due to lack of regular maintenance ) and it doesn't go forwards faster but then it's cheaper and newer and shinier, so who cares :blink:

Exactly - but the whole point of a discussion in general and this one in particular, is that everyone has different points of view and the originator of this thread was looking for opinions from both.

It's the uber-protective attitude that got up my nose, wading on here and causing trouble.

I know, that's why I felt obliged to reply and defend the 350Z

oh, right you meant me then :blink: I don't really think that I waded on here and caused trouble - I was simply trying to give things from a different point of view.

Of course, our own members talked enough shite :D but that was mostly about the looks and the trim, which are down to personal taste :shrug:

True enough :)

PS soz about the irish comment, that was because the last two recently banned members (out of about 5 total in 4 years) were from ireland and basically came on here to cause trouble...

Fair enough Ian - but I guarantee that I am not one of those people and I did NOT come here to cause trouble - I came here to try to give an opinion from "the other side of the fence" as it were, the "irish" comment was quite offensive and I was surprised, especially because people from the 350Z site have said that you're a decent bloke (normally). But you've commented on that - so lets forget about it ;)

At the end of the day - you prefer the "soop" - which is why you bought one and I prefer the 350Z which is why I bought one - each to their own.

Hopefully the originator of the thread was able to pick out some useful info from all the drivel here to help him make his decision :)

(Buy a 350Z :eyebrows: ):innocent:

All good fun Chilli, everyone knows bikes are better than cars ....... my mate has a busa that he says does 0 - 100 in 3 seconds, that's 1.5 seconds a wheels so I guess it's only as fast as a NA then ........ but anyway ....... what car won the Jap touring car thingey this year ????????

All good fun Chilli ........ but what car won the Jap touring car thingey this year ????????

yeah like the supra hasn't been rather competative in it before ;)

notice that there is not the same commitment to the supra now (since it is not a current model) - it's not rocket science...

:D :d :D :d

Yeah ...... I tried that arguement in reverse on the zed site ....... didn't work then either

:p :p :p :p

notice that there is not the same commitment to the supra now (since it is not a current model) - it's not rocket science...

Guest eddmac

Were not saying that the Supra is bad - just that the 350Z is good.

The Supra is an older car that is now being phased out of competition afaik and yes you're right it's not a current model any more.

Truth be told, the 350Z shouldnt be compared to the Supra, the direct Nissan competitor would be the R34 GTR Skyline, which cost similair amounts when new and has similair tuning available (or even more iirc)

well bring on the mkv supra then, we will compare that since it will be a current model comparison. Personally I'd probably buy neither as I think the bang for the buck is fantastic with the mkiv and 2jz-gte. Looks and tuning potential for £ are the things that attracted me to the car in the first place and to be honest, I think it is just as unrivalled now as it was a few years ago :) but each to their own. your 350z will be on the steep depreciation curve anyway, our 10 year+ old motors still fetch good money for good examples and in a few more years the difference in cost will probably be even closer lol - I think that will speak volumes on it's own.

Guest eddmac
:rlol: at all the 350Z owners jumping in to defend (I like them by the way).

A decat and exhaust (plus a restrictor ring!) on a J-Spec car would get you around 400BHP. Which would cost around £600.

Thats some seriously cheap poke - i'm jealous ;)

Keep saving for the Nissan - maybe one day..........

maybe one day I will have an R34 Skyline GTR

well bring on the mkv supra then

I think that's going to be a Lexus - but it will be a serious motor and does bear a passing resemblance to the mkiv - only brought up to date :)

It will also be "serious" money - don't think you will be buying one of those any time soon mate ;)

:p :search: :innocent:

How do you get an extra 150bhp out of a Supra for 1k - i'm not arguing - just interested? (I assume that this figure does not include any labour costs only parts?

im not into this "my cars better than yours crap" but where did anyone say they were getting 150bhp for 1k? That would give me 476bhp on standard turbos? i dont think so somehow

im not into this "my cars better than yours crap" but where did anyone say they were getting 150bhp for 1k? That would give me 476bhp on standard turbos? i dont think so somehow

Think they were using the old 280bhp figure - the target figure mention was 420bhp for £1k.... still pushing it on stockers (unless using certain drivetrain losses)

Paul L and ChrisB were putting out 390ish hubs but that was on Thor's dyno (cue Jake ;) )

Think they were using the old 280bhp figure - the target figure mention was 420bhp for £1k.... still pushing it on stockers (unless using certain drivetrain losses)

Paul L and ChrisB were putting out 390ish hubs but that was on Thor's dyno (cue Jake ;) )

420 fly would seem the max possible if you ask me