136 members have voted

1. 1. Chop the Supra in for a 350Z

• Keep The Supra
    • Get A 350Z

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets say circa 100bhp gains for under 1k is possible (BPU)

limits for stock turbos seem to be around 450bhp (judging by what other people have found) at the flywheel and beyond that you need to go to the next level with a turbo upgrade (i.e. single).

both offer excellent returns for the investment though in terms of bhp per pound. engine etc is strong enough to be treated as a black box unless you want silly bhp at which point it's probably beyond what you can use on the road anyway...

The whole drivetrain loss argument starts then though doesn't it?

ok well then 390-400 bhp at the hubs at bpu level sounds about right from what I've heard.

hard to compare like for like, what does a stock TT put out at the hubs so we can tell the bhp increase per £ pound?

Guest eddmac
im not into this "my cars better than yours crap" but where did anyone say they were getting 150bhp for 1k? That would give me 476bhp on standard turbos? i dont think so somehow

I'm not into it either - just interested and defending the Z just a little :)

surely the quoted power for the soop tt is 280 ps, which is 276bhp?

276+150 = 426 bhp ?? (ok its 6 out, but I was rounding up :) )

Maybe im wrong (no surprise there but i don't claim to be a supra expert - i'm only going by what i read and I read that the supra tt is 280PS )

Still seems like serious gains for very little money - i'm still jealous :lol:

Guest RichJ
To the people that said 350z's are common - i've got to laugh - look up the numbers of cars registered in the UK and compare Supra's and 350Z's and then tell me what is a common car lol

Given the number of years the 350Z has been on the market it is pretty common, I see almost as many of them on the road as I do RX-8s and Audi TTs. There are also more 350Zs in the company car park than RX-8s, Audi TTs and Supras. The number of cars registered doesnt really matter that much as the 350Zs are most likely clocking up a lot more mileage each year than the Supra's, and are therefore more commonly seen.

I dont find the 350Z styling as appealing as the Supra's, hence why I bought a Supra and not a 350Z. I would also go as far as saying the Supra is a classic already, the 350Z certainly isnt yet and only time will tell if it becomes one, although I doubt it.

I'm not into it either - just interested and defending the Z just a little :)

surely the quoted power for the soop tt is 280 ps, which is 276bhp?

276+150 = 426 bhp ?? (ok its 26 out, but I was rounding up :) )

Maybe im wrong (no surprise there but i don't claim to be a supra expert - i'm only going by what i read and I read that the supra tt is 280PS )

my cars a UK spec and comes from the factory 326bhp. also the jap spec ones usually dyno at around the 300bhp mark

Just to comment on the "common" remark... I see at least three 350Z's a day (one lives down the road from me, gorgeous fully nismo kitted one in the same car park every day, and always at least another one on my way in to work). I'm lucky if I see another Supra once a week.

OK this commonly spotted thing is obviously an urban feenomonomonomon type thingey ......... Right this is deffinative and you CAN'T argue cus I get to drive both cars and you don't :p :p :p :p :p :p

When I'm in the zed, I never see any other zeds but I always spot supras and flash and wave and they look at me with the same tone that's getting used in some of these posts !!!!!!

When I'm in the Supra, I only ever see chuffin' zeds and wave and flash and they look at me with that "posh car wannabe" type look !!!!!!

So ...... it's scientifically proven that you Supra guys are only ever going to see zeds cus to you Supra's have stealth capability as do zeds when viewed from another zed.

RIGHT ....... glad that's sorted ;)

Guest eddmac
Given the number of years the 350Z has been on the market it is pretty common, I see almost as many of them on the road as I do RX-8s and Audi TTs. There are also more 350Zs in the company car park than RX-8s, Audi TTs and Supras. The number of cars registered doesnt really matter that much as the 350Zs are most likely clocking up a lot more mileage each year than the Supra's, and are therefore more commonly seen.

I dont find the 350Z styling as appealing as the Supra's, hence why I bought a Supra and not a 350Z. I would also go as far as saying the Supra is a classic already, the 350Z certainly isnt yet and only time will tell if it becomes one, although I doubt it.

In its original year of release in the UK (2003)- the 350Z sold all 450 cars imported in 58 minutes! - yep thats a VERY common car - 450 sold in one year ;)

Edd ........ come on mate ........ I've spent ages checking the stats and apparently NO Supras were sold during the same period ....... now that's exclusive !!!!!!

:tempted: :flasher: :doctor: :dummy: :scared: :angry:

Also ed ....... have you noticed that the smilies are sh1t loads better over here ....... now you know what I've been moaning about !!!!!!

Guest eddmac
Edd ........ come on mate ........ I've spent ages checking the stats and apparently NO Supras were sold during the same period ....... now that's exclusive !!!!!!

:tempted: :flasher: :doctor: :dummy: :scared: :angry:

Also ed ....... have you noticed that the smilies are sh1t loads better over here ....... now you know what I've been moaning about !!!!!!

ha ha - but the supra was "officially" on sale in the UK from 1993 to 1996, although apparently the last supra rolled off the production line in 2002 - thats a long production run mate.

But yes - the smilies are better here ;)

Guest RichJ
In its original year of release in the UK (2003)- the 350Z sold all 450 cars imported in 58 minutes! - yep thats a VERY common car - 450 sold in one year ;)

Statistics mean bugger all, they can be interpreted in so many ways in attempts to prove so many different points. I commute along the M3/M4 corridor for work and I see a lot of 350Zs, probably because the majority of them are sold to office execs in this area. They also clock up a lot more mileage than Supra's because most are used for work commutes, where as there are a lot of Supra owners who have a second car for that sort of thing and only tend to use the Supra for sunny days.

You seem to be unable to grasp the concept of 'commonly seen', which was the point I was making.

there are only 600ish uk supras in grand total, that's exclusive. I must admit I've always thought of supra's as fairly rare (even before I got one) - I can go for weeks without seeing any others. I see 350Zs and they stand out as much as say an RX8, an Audi TT or BMW M series. Don't forget a lot of supras are NA too, so only a fraction of what you see on the road are what we are comparing against.

Give it time, they will sell loads of 350Zs because they are cheap for a new car.... ;)

That's one of the things i like about the supra though, you hardly ever see them. Before i got involved on this site, i'd only ever seen 2 MKIVs on the road (a stock bodied, spoilerless RSP near my house and a red kitted one in Cheshire). See one every bloody time i look out the window now :D

Guest Chubbylover

Hello everyone - Mr Chubbs from http://www.350zUKownersclub.com here! - I tried to join up over here as Mr Chubbs, but apparently you already have someone called that, so I tried to join as 'Chubbs' - no luck there either!!!! So it's Chubbylover to you!

I've just read through this thread and I must say it's just as enjoyable here as it is on the Zed forum!!!! Full of opinionated, bigheaded bastards - just how I like it!!! You guys are obviously as obsessed with your Supras as we are with our Zeds - AND WHY NOT!!!! As others have already said, comparing a stock 276bhp n/a Zed with a TT Supra is not comparing eggs with eggs - but if you compare a 400bhp TT Zed with one of your motors, then you have a REAL race on your hands - I for one would love to watch it!

Getting back to Scooby's original question - have you visited the Zed Owners' Club website mate? - You can get as much good, informed information about the Zed over there as you will ever need. If you're in the market for a Zed, mine's for sale (because I'm buying a new one) and I'm in the Herts area!!!!!

Whatever you choose, they both have that elusive 'grin factor', each in their own way - and I aint gona diss your motors, boys - just look forward to meeting you at JAE if I get there, or the Ace Cafe one Tuesday.

Geoff

Guest Chubbylover
It didn't when I went into the Nissan dealer last year.// it was a £2.5 k option...:search:

Brembos have always been standard on UK Zeds mate, but they aren't always standard on imports - which dealer did you go to? It can't have been a Nissan main dealer talking about a UK car - they aren't THAT stupid.

Guest eddmac
Given the number of years the 350Z has been on the market it is pretty common,

Trust me mate 450 cars a year does not a "common" car make ;)

I think that you will find that most Supra's now are imports - just as there are a lot of import 350Z's

It's true that the Zed is a much cheaper car (when new) than the Supra and therefore would sell in bigger numbers, but Nissan has strictly limited the numbers of cars that they have brought in to the UK each year (mainly because so many of them are sold in the US) and there's a difference between statistics and facts,

Nissan only brought in 450 350Z's in 2003, that is a fact (it's also the only year I have figures for ;) :lol: )

I have seen at least 8 Supra's of a variety of different flavours near where I live - all of which are imports! - I've only seen 4 350Z's

I suppose it all depends on where you live :)

Oh and Hi Chubbs ;)

Brembos have always been standard on UK Zeds mate, but they aren't always standard on imports - which dealer did you go to? It can't have been a Nissan main dealer talking about a UK car - they aren't THAT stupid.

Mmmmm....maybe I was having a dream that day....it happens..:)

PS I am an ex 240Z owner...to me the only real Nissan classics from this "era" will be the 240 and the Skyline as neither were cheap to buy new...I think the 350's will end up being too worn out (bean counting build) and common....

Wait for it..........:)

Guest eddmac

It could have been the "GT" pack you were thinking of - leather seats, cruise control and the Bose sound system iirc that costs about 2,5k ;)

Guest eddmac

PS I am an ex 240Z owner...to me the only real Nissan classics from this "era" will be the 240 and the Skyline as neither were cheap to buy new...I think the 350's will end up being too worn out (bean counting build) and common....

Wait for it..........:)

Obviously you earn too much ! 30k "cheap" :blink:

:D