Southern Gumball Rally

mawby

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ouzolover

Hi all....

Would like to pop along and have a look (and hear) on Saturday, possibly meet at Stonehenge and finish at Haynes.

Two questions.....

1, As we are in our mid 40s are we going to look like your grandparents keeping an eye on the kids ?

2, As I need my licence and I'm currently "point free" (that's done it) I don't usually go over the point when I would get banned if zapped ! - are you all going to leave us behind - sorry to be so boring.

Hope it goes ahead, the sight will be great.

PS. The back road from Stonehenge to Longleat (through Chitterne) is brill, I do it every Friday, unfortunately not in the Soop.

G

You will not be the oldest...and besides Life begins at 40....think they call it middle youth these days....The age range goes from somewhere around twenty right up to Paul E.

:D

Only Kiddin Paul....I haven't ever experienced any kind of discrimination be it age, class or anything else more recently...always a good healthy mix of people...(well not sure about the healthy bit)

:eek:

See ya there I hope.

Si

:cool:

You all make us very welcome - thank you.

Hope to see you there Saturday.

Bringing the Volvo was supposed to be a joke (re sensible speeds) !!!!

Cheers

Gerry & Sue

PS Stupid question I should think - why do pics of cars mainly have the number plates blanked out - or is it that the camera shy plates really work ???

PS Stupid question I should think - why do pics of cars mainly have the number plates blanked out - or is it that the camera shy plates really work ???

It's a bit of a BBS policy, and common sense thing - typically whenever we post pictures of our or other people's cars, we digitally remove the number plates from the pictures.

You never know who's reading what :)

-p

Bringing the Volvo was supposed to be a joke (re sensible speeds) !!!!

Some people just have no humour mate, that or it goes over their heads......Woooosh.......Too much life in the fast lane.....:p

Im only along to the Sunday meet but hope to catch up some time at another meet.....

Have fun...:flame Dev :flame Dev :flame Dev

No it's a purple (the bloke who sold it to me called it "blackberry" 940 (or a 970 or something) estate, it has got a turbo but it's still

a VOLVO.

I do have a really good excuse for owning one though, but I can't explain it in a public forum !

Cheers

Gerry (still waiting for life to start begininning at 40)

Anyone have a CB radio from previous meets, might be good to bring them along, if anyone has one, or knows somone that has one, it really adds another edge to the crusing around thing.

Plus if 2 of ya go halfs, then its only £30 each, other its £60, but well worth the cost in my eyes.......

Ashley, no worries about Saturday, wasn't sure which day you were going to make :)

CB Radios, where do ya get em from and does it make any difference what make etc etc as I have no idea about those, although I remember millhouse, mawby and me used some on our way down to Lee-On-Solent but they were awful.

Originally posted by Suprachargedtt

hi

im new to this site and i have a mkiv tt, are people still meeting on saturday eve in lee on solent? if so id love to come,

cheers:cool:

We certainly will be, around 6:30pm if all goes to plan. There's 11 of us on Saturday but not all are doing the whole event, but there should still be a fair few of us who make it to the end. :D See you there.

Originally posted by Suprachargedtt

hi

im new to this site and i have a mkiv tt, are people still meeting on saturday eve in lee on solent? if so id love to come,

cheers:cool:

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Glad to see another owner from Southampton :)

We'll be hitting Lee-On-Solent or Stubbington as it is on mawbys site at about 18.30 but we're travelling all over the place during the day, we'll be travelling past Soton before then so you could meet up with us if you like.

Have you got any pics of the car, saw a Silver J-Spec in Soton high street the other day, was it you?

:D

Sounds like the same ones, as Millhouse was using his one on the Dam trip, we all had similar. Except they are very hard to hear if people dont talk clearly and slowley, as we found out, but once you slow down and talk instead of mumbling, you can hear fine. I thought they were really usefull, especially when the group gets split up and they dont know where you headed.

Ah right, well when we used millhouses ones, they worked for about 5 mins and that was only just about, heard an odd voice here and there and then crackle or nothing :(

As for using with the group split up, there was no way these would have worked then, we were only about 100 yards spread out in a 3 way convoy.....

Perhaps he's replaced the batteries ;) :innocent:

Well when we had our convey running at over a ton the cars are probably spread out along one lane for a total distance of a good few hundred feet. It must have been batteries, most people we could hear ok, even we they spoke in their normal mumbling slang, it was people like earth that was hard to hear. We deffinitly mastered it though, because when we first started using them, it was like, WTF, I cant hear sh1t, by the end of the trip, it was 10-4 copy.........it is a laugh....:D

Originally posted by millhouse

The radios i have are shit do not buy Binatone radios

the BT ones are ok £60 for 2 see this page

Yep, I bought the twin pack for Ash and myself, worked a treat and still had 3 bars (full) battery life after a pretty solid hammering over 2 days.