The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Southern Gumball Rally

mawby

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, decisions decisions decisions....

I'm going to do another route including Maidstone, possibly even Margate if a suitable place in Margate is suggested. Then I'm going to spend hours (go on, get the violins out!) calculating routes and times between these places and see what happens. Quick show of hands, who would prefer the Haynes motor museum and who would prefer Longleat. Longleat is only a couple of quid to get into the grounds and has my vote because I've been there before and know it will be an execellent place to get a group photo. I might shuffel things around as places like Longleat and StoneHenge close around 5-6, while the pubs don't. I'll have a play ( :eek: ) and see what I come up with.

Keep the suggestions comming!

Originally posted by Mid'lifecry'sis

u r 2 gud m8

That sounds like sarcasm to me! :D Oh, and I don't want any complaints if your shiney new wheels get dirty during this event! :p

Umm... there's an idea, prehaps I should make the last stop a car cleaning stop so everyone can get the dirt and bugs off their cars. Or even hold a "most bugs collected" competition, with the winner receiving a free super delux sponge! :innocent:

On a serious note, I want all decisions about this event made and finalised by Sunday evening. So if you have any suggestions, comments or anything else then please let me know now! :devil:

I notice the route gets quite close to Marlborough in Wiltshire; it's an old town with a large open market square in the middle. Might be a market there on Saturday, and would be full of shoppers, but it's usually possible to pull up for a while on the double yellows alongside the shops. Would be guaranteed a load of attention from all the shoppers. Will be nice to convoy thru a town somewhere and really get noticed by lots of people! :cool: Salisbury is always cool to cruise thru (I mean straight thru the town centre avoiding the congested ring road). 1 Supe usually gets a lot of attention, let alone 15-20! :devil:

BTW the A345 from Amesbury to Marlborough is narrow and twisty, but usually fairly empty and some of the twisty bits, especially as you approach Marlborough, are great fun for those who like that sort of thing! Great view as you come down the side of the valley into Marlborough too, especially late in an evening.

:looney:

Originally posted by lust2luv

I notice the route gets quite close to Marlborough in Wiltshire; it's an old town with a large open market square in the middle. Might be a market there on Saturday, and would be full of shoppers, but it's usually possible to pull up for a while on the double yellows alongside the shops. Would be guaranteed a load of attention from all the shoppers. Will be nice to convoy thru a town somewhere and really get noticed by lots of people! :cool: Salisbury is always cool to cruise thru (I mean straight thru the town centre avoiding the congested ring road). 1 Supe usually gets a lot of attention, let alone 15-20! :devil:

BTW the A345 from Amesbury to Marlborough is narrow and twisty, but usually fairly empty and some of the twisty bits, especially as you approach Marlborough, are great fun for those who like that sort of thing! Great view as you come down the side of the valley into Marlborough too, especially late in an evening.

:looney:

Marlborough is a nice place and its close to all the lay lines ideal for Ash, Millhouse and myself so we can fill up with cosmic Optimax ....places nearby like Avebury Stone Circle and Silbury Hill...then there's Devizes etc great area and really nice roads with vitually no cameras.

Big Up to Mawby for organising this one...bit confused about where we are going I have looked at the map but the route dosn't seem to show up for some reason...so bit confused..can you post a clearer one...if you get a chance.

:cool:

Edit: Don't worry bout map It makes a little more sence now...I just worked out how to zoom in...looking good dude.

Yeah bang up for this.........

Im in Kent but am happy to poss meet further afield and come back in Convoy? or continue from Maidstone if thats where the Kent meet is going to be?

Is this all i one day or going to be slipt?

Also if on one day is it Sat or Sun?

Steve M, Scott, Matt H, Andrew,(Midlife if you must) 400BHP, should all turn out with luck to stand for the Kent posse?...

For safety reasons (ie too much driving) I'm going to make this a two day event. Saturday (the west side) will start in Wiltshire, go through Somerset and Dorset, and end in Hampshire. Sunday (the east side) will start in Berkshire, go through Sussex and end in Kent, although this may change if there's enough time to double back on ourselves and end in Sussex. I'm in the process of sorting the routes now. West side is done, east side hasn't been started yet but will be done early tomorrow. The west side will start at 10:00 and end anytime after 16:30, covering 173 miles and including 6 major stops. The route I've chosen takes us through all the recommended routes where possible. I've allowed for a 1 hour stop at each destination.

Any objections speak now.

Firstly this is not an objection just a suggestion(s).

It may be that we could extend the route (or combine both) in the knowledge that only a few will do the whole trip. I think with regular stops (the duration of which may have to be less to fit it in) 300+miles in one day is not out of the question. This based on the antics of the euro trips and Steve W's Elvington jaunt etc.

I'm just that for it to be more 'Gumball like' i'm in favour of a higher % of driving time.

I can't really see many people being able to do both days (especially at shortish notice) and so an extended version of the one day to maybe 8am - Til late pm (if you wanted to do the whole route) may appeal more to people.

maybe i'm wrong on the above and maybe the extra miles would spoil it, i don't know, perhaps we should start at the lower end and see how it goes...............

All just my thoughts, speculation and opinions

Originally posted by Scooter

Firstly this is not an objection just a suggestion(s).

It may be that we could extend the route (or combine both) in the knowledge that only a few will do the whole trip. I think with regular stops (the duration of which may have to be less to fit it in) 300+miles in one day is not out of the question. This based on the antics of the euro trips and Steve W's Elvington jaunt etc.

I'm just that for it to be more 'Gumball like' i'm in favour of a higher % of driving time.

I can't really see many people being able to do both days (especially at shortish notice) and so an extended version of the one day to maybe 8am - Til late pm (if you wanted to do the whole route) may appeal more to people.

maybe i'm wrong on the above and maybe the extra miles would spoil it, i don't know, perhaps we should start at the lower end and see how it goes...............

All just my thoughts, speculation and opinions

Scooter, please don't think I've ignored what you've said, but as the forum was down I had no choice but to continue with my original plan of two days as we're running out of time for people to get prepared. :(

The total miles for both days is currently around 330 miles, but don't forget you also have to allow for people travelling to/from the start/end points. That could easily make it a 500 mile trip which is why I wanted to split it into two days. I'm a 120+ mile a day person so it wouldn't bother me driving loads of miles, but I also have to be resposible and remember that driving is tiring and I'd hate for anyone to have an accident cause they were driving tired because they wanted to do the whole trip. So I thought it best to spilt this event and then we can decide what to do for the next one depending on how well this one goes. :cool:

I have added a bit to my web site detailing the intended start/end points, stops, basic routes and overview maps. All the details you should need can be found here.

Hopefully the places choosen will provided plenty of oppotunity for photos to be taken. Jive, you'll also notice we go pretty close to Brighton, and could go right through it with a little detour from the route. :D One thing I have to check is the opening time of the first pub on Saturday, which I will do tomorrow and let you know. Something I haven't done yet is plotted Shell garages that are on the route. I'll get this done soon.

Well I hope the line-up is acceptable to everyone and I look forward to seeing everyone on the days. I'll also try and get the word out that the stops can be used as a local meet for people interested in meeting up with us but not with doing the actual gumball.

Thanks for everyones support in this event. :)

Where is PAULe, Dude, GavinL commin make it a first, Steve forget the wife, Matt Hyou better not come you drive far to quickly!!!! Bri and Ang - where are you/have you been, John and other from teh Hants barbi - come on - our last chance before the snow/rain and shite - Earth d o.. where's you crew? No control d o!! LOL;)

Not enough peeps for the amopunt of work so far from Mawbs man

Branners and the other GODS where??? Lets make this more than some cruise, a major club meet?

Originally posted by mawby

One thing I have to check is the opening time of the first pub on Saturday, which I will do tomorrow and let you know.

They are open now so I just phoned up and checked. They don't open utill 11am. I've adjusted the plan slightly to accomodate this, which probably works out better for those travelling a long distance to get there.

Originally posted by Scooter

Ok is it time to start a list of names going then? and is this the place to do it, or do we want another thread?

The very first post here has the list of names of people going, but it might be an idea if people post to confirm which days they are going on and where they intend to join the gumball.

Right - I'll be along on the Sunday for the east part of the trip :D

Not sure where I'll meet you - probably Box Hill?

Don't know if you go near, but there are Shells in Bracknell, Guildford and Broadbridge Heath near Horsham (near Bolney) and also at Pease Pottage services on the M23. Just a few that I know of.....

I tried the "Where to Find Optimax" button > > > > >

Dear user,

We would like to inform you that Shell GeoStar Limited has ceased to operate this website.

Shell GeoStar will now redirect its traffic to the high quality, pan-European mapping and route planning services of ViaMichelin.com. ViaMichelin was chosen in the hope that you will continue to enjoy a high level of service.

The ViaMichelin service is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. It is currently not available in Dutch, Danish and Swedish.

ViaMichelin welcomes you to http://www.ViaMichelin.com

Thank you for using Shell GeoStar.

The ViaMichelin and Shell GeoStar sites are operated by companies which are independent of each other. Click here for disclaimer.

? ? ?

Think they just pulled the plug.... (it takes you to a Michelin

chepie Route Planner):(

FatS.