The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Southern Gumball Rally

mawby

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Steve W

we only want the shots of the SUPRAS ! ! !

not all yer 'goings-on' in yer car Millie ! ! !

(unless it's REALLY raunchy, then you can 'CD' it and send 'us a copy ! !

.................mate !;) )

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/millhouse/images/b_grind2.gif http://www.angelfire.com/super2/millhouse/images/b_grind2.gif http://www.angelfire.com/super2/millhouse/images/b_grind2.gif

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Is this the main thread for this, all the county threads have just confused the bricks out of me. Whats the latest.

Ashley, this is the main thread, mawby has used the other threads for people to discuss in the counties where would be best to meet etc.

I have no idea about Kent for example, whereas Mid and Geeza or others would so they can discuss in that thread.

Latest is, there's only 2 weeks before this kicks off and not many people have put ideas up in some of the threads, hopefully thatll change soon :)

Originally posted by Jive

Latest is, there's only 2 weeks before this kicks off and not many people have put ideas up in some of the threads, hopefully thatll change soon :)

Had better do or I'll be using something like the AA pub guide to find places to stop at.

I've been to a pub in Westerham (A25 between M25 5&6) with Geezabloke, SteveW, and Roy + a whole bunch of skylines. This certainly had the parking capacity we may/will need and could make a good meet / rest point.

Then how about Bolney (near A23/ A272)? didn't go myself but am assuming there was a sizeable pub around.

Then straight down A272 to Winchester and either

up to the services (Sutton Scotney) on the A34 just south of the A303 junction and then down the A303 to the west or north to Swindon, Oxford and round to possibly Milton Keynes and essex?

or down to the services on the M27 between junctions 3 & 4 and onto Bournemouth, longleat Swindon etc.

obviously routes optional but included to give some reference between possible grouping points.

Is everyone still keen?

If you're heading Oxford/Milton Keynes way, there's a very nice pub on the side of a lake in Watermead, a little development just on the outskirts of Aylesbury. There's usually quite a bit of parking towards the back of the carpark, and it's by far and away the nicest pub in this area.

And yes, I'm still keen. :) I just don't know the areas we're passing through.

-p

Anyone thought about heading into Brighton? The crawl along the seafront will certainly get some attention :(

mawby, mine and your comments via PM the other day, don't worry I wont be suggestion London, after the recent trip on Sunday it would deffo not be a good idea.

Not saying that the trip on Sunday wasn't worth it, but trying to keep a convoy of 8 - 10 supes together was bloody hard work, only needs one person to get left behind and all the other fookers to drive off and your stuffed :innocent:

So London is deffo outta the question.

As for the rest of the places mentioned, I have no idea where they are but will follow along as it'll be cool no doubt :)

Geeza, are you going to the Southend thing the week later?

If so maybe the powers that be could move the Gumball back to that week and we could circle round from Kent and end up in Southend that evening?

Mawby jive etc, this is just an idea to include someone obviously 100% interested in the event and also gives the gumball a final destination. I'm pretty flexible on the timing but realise others may not be............what say you?

PS imo I don't think it should be precessional.

Originally posted by Scooter

Geeza, are you going to the Southend thing the week later?

If so maybe the powers that be could move the Gumball back to that week and we could circle round from Kent and end up in Southend that evening?

Mawby jive etc, this is just an idea to include someone obviously 100% interested in the event and also gives the gumball a final destination. I'm pretty flexible on the timing but realise others may not be............what say you?

PS imo I don't think it should be precessional.

I'm at the National Finals at Santa Pod on the 26th and 27th, so if we make it a week later than I wont be able to go. :confused:

The intention is not for everyone to be in convoy all the time, it's simply that if we all know where we're starting from, and we all know where we're going, and we all know the rough route to get there, then those who want to travel in convoy can do and those who don't can... well.... just drive on to the next destination. (and get the drinks ready for the rest of us! :D )

I've just been playing with MS AutoRoute 2004, and one of its features is ability to find petrol stations (by brand) along your route.. when we figure out the route I can easily tell you where all the Shell stations are along the way (though can't promise they have Optimax), within X miles out of the way of our route or along it.

It's accurate down to street level for all of Europe and I have to say it's actually a very, very funky peice of software. I just did a route from my house to where I used to live in Sweden including stopover places, motorway services and petrol stations and such and its come up with the goods far better than I expected (or have seen from ANY other mapping software). It even pinpointed exactly where the house was on the road (I can tell by the turns and such in it), on a pissant backroad nothing in a pissant town in the middle of Sweden.

I'm impressed, and it's not often that anything Microsoft does that impresses me.

-p

That's because they bought it from someone else! I used Autoroute 2003 for a 3000 mile trip round Europe this summer, and it was pretty good on the whole. Sometimes the search for a roadname doesn't work properly though - spent bloody ages trying to find our hotel in Modena because it couldn't find the street, then when we finally found it and clicked on the road on the map it came up with the right name and everything. Mappoint is better though because you can get add ons for it for better GPS etc, but it's expensive.

Well Im still up for this, weekend of the 27/28, Im working on the Sunday........

Another way I thought of doing it the other day, is say theres 20 of us, will all submit directions to our house, and its given to the first person, that person then drives to the next closest person to him, pulls up outside his house, and them 2 then move onto the next closest person, turns up outside his house and so on, when everyone is picked up, because the first 2 have been driving all day and the last person has just joined, they then drive to the first person house and drop him off, they alll then drive to the seconds persons house and drop him off, until its just one left after dropping everyone of home, that way everyone either gets to be picked up or dropped off by a load of Supras. Maybe a posible for something different one day..of course with stops at pubs and stuff........

Ashleys idea actually sounds pretty good :)

Although I could imagine that 20 or 30 Supes parked down my road would be quite entertaining, especially as it ends in a cul-de-sac :D

Could always do pickup points near each persons house?

I must say though, the thought of having to wait till everyone turns up to pick you up would be unbearable [well for me it would] :D

I think Scooter wouldn't be too happy about this either as he seems set against a convoy of Supes :eek: ;) :p

Given the resposes and suggestions I've made a first attempt at a route. It's not in any detail yet, but you can get the basic idea and decide whether you like it or not. It will NOT be possible to extend the route further in ANY direction unless we either make it a two day event or remove a destination from the other direction. I'm also not to sure we'll be able to go the both Longleat and the Haynes museum purely because of time restrictions. Either that or we miss of Bolney which could save a couple of hours, but that means we're not heading very far East which wouldn't be fair on those from that area. The route starts in the North and ends up in the West. Any questions, comments, suggestions then please let me know ASAP! One thing I'll need to sort out is some stop points in between the larger points, but until we've agreed on those points there's no point trying to sort it just yet. Have you got the point? :)

Points plotted on a map (1.2mb!)

Basic route with distances/durations

Details of places, in order...

Pelican Inn, Froxfield

Wellington Country Park, Basingstoke

The Bolney Stage, Bolney

Pun Penny, Gosport

Angel Inn, Bournemouth

Haynes

Longleat

StoneHenge

Originally posted by Mid'lifecry'sis

Someone wanna tell me - err unless Im being stupid here... where this goes in Kent or in deed anywhere near the East??:stupid: :conf: :mad:

That's because for both Kent and Surrey I had no suggestions with the exception of Margate, which wihout some stops in between and without making this a two day event it's not going to happen. As I said, this was a first attempt at a route and is by no means final, but if I don't get ideas for places to go in the East then this is how it will stay. And please suggest actual places (like pubs, parks, beaches whatever) and not just areas. And if we want to go a far East a Margate then suggestions for a stop over/places to stay the night will also be needed.

what fcuking ideiot thought that we'd all venture to Margate????

Taken in jest sir.

No. Madistone, Brands Hatch have good arears and pubs, Maidstone just off the motorway M20/M26 has a big beefeater, lots of space and it's on the river - so I kno0w at least 6 peeps from this area... where are they and what suggestions? Or is it the case that the cars might clock up a a mile or so! Ahhhh...

Jesus.

Up for going any distance pal. me, Scott, Geeza, errr cant think? WHERES THAT LIST SO FAR! Perhaps a small meet this end and on to meet the rest????:twak: