The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dragonball to Oem

wile e coyote

With the 2 external cooling vents when I renewed mine I was surprised how shiny black the new ones were compared to the 21 year old ones that clearly get a bit of dust sanding erosion over the years. I'd recommend you fit new to get that smooth shiny plastic look on a shiny car, either from Toyota if still available or 3D printed.

It wouldn't matter old or new with the the cabin air vent as that is behind a shield anyway so out of sight. I'd avoid the foam gasket fitted by Toyota for the air vent as I found that was sopping wet harbouring surface rust so I tidied the area up and replaced it with a straight silicone gasket.

Those inner vents are very thin metal so do rust away quickly once they get rusted, I'd go new on those if you can and give them a lot of paint.

Edited by rider (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 5:12 PM, wile e coyote said:

IMG_3382.jpeg

Love following this thread, the workmanship and attention to detail is second to none. 

One thing I noticed in this, you seem to have new oem hockey stick bits, but the lower portion of the side vents (the bit that ties in to the side skirts) has seemingly been colour coded. 
Is this a personal preference? 

I ask because I colour coded mine years ago but regretted it. I've since had them refurbished with a textured black paint to appear oem but I'm concerned it won't hold up well and wish I had oem ones (you can buy them, I just can't justify it on my build which is nowhere near as pretty as yours).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is that the original rear (main) heat shield? They tend to be the one that catches all the shit and rust badly so it looks too good to be the original. Unfortunately another long discontinued part so you have to pretty much go with what you have with the heat shields these days.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:51 AM, rider said:

Is that the original rear (main) heat shield? They tend to be the one that catches all the shit and rust badly so it looks too good to be the original. Unfortunately another long discontinued part so you have to pretty much go with what you have with the heat shields these days.

All original shields they have needed some work

• Like 1