The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R888 325 19 failure at 80mph

Noz

• Noz changed the title to R888 325 19 failure at 80mph

I've had that before on a Goodyear F1 tyre that was a few hundred miles old, 255/40/17.

I was tanking it tho, 120"kph" and rear driver side blew on a country road. Car was going sideways left and right, luckily I held it, honestly thought I was gonna die or atleast end up in an operating room.

Whatever caused the puncture was just bad enough to rip the tyre up at speed identical to yours. 

9878540959872567152.JPG

5 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

The was lucky, how old was the tyre? Id be contacting Toyo tomorrow

Not sure on total age. I've had it for two years. Got them second hand and to be fair cant remember the age of them. Looked brand new when I got them. 

Not sure what Toyo would even do?

5 hours ago, AC93 said:

I've had that before on a Goodyear F1 tyre that was a few hundred miles old, 255/40/17.

I was tanking it tho, 120"kph" and rear driver side blew on a country road. Car was going sideways left and right, luckily I held it, honestly thought I was gonna die or atleast end up in an operating room.

Whatever caused the puncture was just bad enough to rip the tyre up at speed identical to yours. 

9878540959872567152.JPG

Oh wow. Exactly the same though. How weird. I thought being sift compound and having minimal wall stiffness would be the cause of those tyres would definitely have had extra wall strength and still done it. Scary!

What did you do. Speak to Goodyear at all?

33 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Well I'm sure they'd at least want to know one other tyres failed on the road. If it was new Id have hoped you'd get a replacement, as its of unknown age I doubt that would happen

2 hours ago, Noz said:

Not sure on total age. I've had it for two years. Got them second hand and to be fair cant remember the age of them. Looked brand new when I got them. 

Not sure what Toyo would even do?

Oh wow. Exactly the same though. How weird. I thought being sift compound and having minimal wall stiffness would be the cause of those tyres would definitely have had extra wall strength and still done it. Scary!

What did you do. Speak to Goodyear at all?

On the tyre wall there will be a date stamp to tell you the age of the tyre. There's no set standard for where they're displayed on the wall but it's 4 digits, the first two tell you the week, the second two tell you the year. Do the Google thing for examples if I've not explained it well enough

Edited by chaoticentity (see edit history)
  • Like 2

And that's one of the reasons I would never buy second hand tyres. You don't know what they've had done to them. That looks like it could have been driven when near flat and stressed the sidewall, also I've seen R888's go pretty shit after they've had a few hard heat cycles put through them.

Never scrimp on tyres, they are one of the most important things on the car, as they connect you to the road.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Had this happen to me but in my old Focus.

Hit a nasty pot hole and something shifted the rear end geometry slightly, bringing the tyre wall into contact with the shocks. It rubbed away and blew out exactly like what's happened to you.

Any sign of rubber transfer on the shock?

20 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Sorted your juddering!? 😉 👍

I'll ignore this post until I've got the winter tyres on later today. If you'd read the post, it said the juddering seems to vanish when clutch was in. Surprisingly, blowing a tyre does cause some juddering at 80mph, but I'm hoping you figured out the juddering was with air in it 😉 

I have noticed a missing weight on the opposing wheel. So until I've driven it with new shoes, I won't make any assumptions to the cause of the juddering (unlike your post does 😂)

4 hours ago, Style said:

Had this happen to me but in my old Focus.

Hit a nasty pot hole and something shifted the rear end geometry slightly, bringing the tyre wall into contact with the shocks. It rubbed away and blew out exactly like what's happened to you.

Any sign of rubber transfer on the shock?

Nope. Nothing. Have a line for the air cups there too, all fine. 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, Noz said:

Anyone had similar, had a few exciting pulls earlier in the day. But cruising on the motorway when this happened.

Got lucky really. Was incredibly easy to control and just pulled over.

Lucky wheels totally fine.

20210923_205032.jpg

20210923_211912.jpg

There was a guy that used to do tip speed runs had a r888 let go on him think it totalled the car iirc. I will try and find it

14 hours ago, Noz said:

Seems like it!! Got lucky.

Will get new series 2 r888r next year. Fingers crossed it was just a one off situation.

Had a chance to check the date stamp? I would also check them on the new tyres as well, usable life of a tyre is supposed to be 5 years from date of manufacture but for odd sizes or less common ones, it could have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. It's probably not so much of an issue for your average car but the load going through the tyres on a high powered car, you are taking the tyre to it's operating limit every time you launch so any degradation (cracks etc) of the tyre is going to put under massive stress.

As Dunk says, given the way the tyre has failed, I would guess you got a large puncture with rapid deflation and the rim just sliced through the tyre.

4 hours ago, Style said:

Aren't 888's Y rated to like 180-190mph? No wonder it let go!

There is a reason why Bugatti Veyron tyres were £32,000 a set for 250mph, they would fail after 15 minutes at top speed but you would run out of fuel after 12 😄 The force on tyres is immense at those speeds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

damn this is scary man....glad you're ok Mr Noz.

to be fair...they are the old design which has been out of action for around 5 o 6 years now IIRC. And if they've seen 5 or 6 winters, they will be very hard and aged from the inside. usually the tell tale is that these tyres crack, so generally speaking, if buying used, make sure they're within 3 years old and aim to kill them by 4 or 5.

all of us, bar none, should be running r888r - the newer design and ideally nothing older than 2017 (and with zero cracks). Store them during winters, or kill them off sooner if you leave them in the cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celicasaur said:

damn this is scary man....glad you're ok Mr Noz.

to be fair...they are the old design which has been out of action for around 5 o 6 years now IIRC. And if they've seen 5 or 6 winters, they will be very hard and aged from the inside. usually the tell tale is that these tyres crack, so generally speaking, if buying used, make sure they're within 3 years old and aim to kill them by 4 or 5.

all of us, bar none, should be running r888r - the newer design and ideally nothing older than 2017 (and with zero cracks). Store them during winters, or kill them off sooner if you leave them in the cold.

Thanks mate. I'd had them for a couple winters myself to be fair.

Just a shame can't get 325, only 305 r888r. 

Sadly I don't have a heated garage, oh the joys of such luxuries though if I could manage it.

Hehe, if it makes you feel better, in the summer of 2016 I bought four brand new R888R for several hundred pounds for my Celica. Covered like...200 miles. Flywheel came off at Santa Pod in the October at Jap Fest. Left the car on the driveway for a few years. Now that it's almost ready to bring back road - all four tyres are cracked and toast.

One things for sure though, they're an epic tyre and I'm grateful that we have the option of running them on the road, at least for 6-7 months of the year.