The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think i could be on the bus soon

Dnk

Middle lane or outside lane hoggers do my head in worse than tailgaters and speeders. for me they have to be up there as the worst on the road.

Not talking about people going at a steady speed and consistently overtaking and no point moving over, but the ones that there is sod all in front of them, or there is more than enough room in front to pull over for a spell before having to over take again.

They mofo's cause frustration, accidents, traffic jams as clogging the use of one or more lanes as people respecting the no undertaking rule.

I agree. On a clear-ish motorway I don't know why people do it. Someone suggested on here once that they reckon the middle lane is the safest place to be, but I don't get that at all. I reckon it's the inside lane - as far away from oncoming traffic as possible, and a hard shoulder to bail onto if something goes pear-shaped.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've given up respecting the "don't pass on the left" rule. The amount of times where some cock has been doing 67mph in lane two and someone else is enforcing 70 in the outside lane, but the inside lane is entirely clear for half a mile has completely dissolved my respect for the highway code.

The trouble is if your spotted doing that you can get a dangerous driving charge put to you.

That's possible 9 points and silly big fine

But the issue is, it is not being enforced. Cuts mean less Police on the road. Only read of one person ever being prosecuted for lane hogging.

It was only last night that I was driving down M1 and there was a clear bit in front for maybe half mile or more, approached a jct and a car joined and indicated into 1st lane, then straight away went into middle lane and sat there for a good couple of miles till we caught up with other traffic that warranted him being in the middle lane. Absolutely nothing in front of him, Boils my piss people that do it.

Worst was when I used to drive down to London each week, just after Luton on M1 and then M25 at say 11pm when the motorways are quiet (ish), people just driving along in 3 or 4th lane and feck all in front of them.

The trouble is if your spotted doing that you can get a dangerous driving charge put to you.

That's possible 9 points and silly big fine

I'll worry about that when I actually see some police about. I have friends in the police and I know full well how badly the funding cuts are hitting them. I wouldn't even question getting points and a fine if they went and enforced the "keep left unless overtaking" rules.

Ooh, twitchy bum for you Dunk. I think you'll be ok, I got flashed in France and spent a couple of days wondering if I was going to get the "curly finger".

H.

Don't think the two-week limit applies to EU. Friend of mine was made to wait a year before letter came through!

Ooh, twitchy bum for you Dunk. I think you'll be ok, I got flashed in France and spent a couple of days wondering if I was going to get the "curly finger".

H.

I'm resigned to getting at least 1 NIP if not more so i'm not to bothered now and will deal

with whatever comes, 5 days and counting :innocent:

But the issue is, it is not being enforced. Cuts mean less Police on the road. Only read of one person ever being prosecuted for lane hogging.

It was only last night that I was driving down M1 and there was a clear bit in front for maybe half mile or more, approached a jct and a car joined and indicated into 1st lane, then straight away went into middle lane and sat there for a good couple of miles till we caught up with other traffic that warranted him being in the middle lane. Absolutely nothing in front of him, Boils my piss people that do it.

Worst was when I used to drive down to London each week, just after Luton on M1 and then M25 at say 11pm when the motorways are quiet (ish), people just driving along in 3 or 4th lane and feck all in front of them.

I've given up respecting the "don't pass on the left" rule. The amount of times where some cock has been doing 67mph in lane two and someone else is enforcing 70 in the outside lane, but the inside lane is entirely clear for half a mile has completely dissolved my respect for the highway code.

I have also experienced vehicles joining the motorway and immediately moving into the second lane with no traffic ahead. I think it is also some kind of superiority complex where the 1st lane is considered "the slow lane" or the lane for lorries/trucks, and yes they reached a steady speed of 65mph and held it.. :superman: I have also driven on a 5 lane motorway where lanes one and two are litterally empty and you guessed it, three, four and five are chocka-a-block.

I asked a policeman about the legality of overtaking on the left some years ago. There is a difference between undertaking and flow of traffic overtaking on the left. So long as you don't actively change lanes to overtake it is acceptable to pass traffic on your right if their speed is below the flow of traffic.

Rule 268

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/motorways-253-to-273

One counterpoint to the middle-lane thing is that the inside lane in usually in very poor condition because of HGV use. Some drivers literally think the inside is reserved for trucks, too.

That's no excusing what I think is the single worst habit of UK drivers, though. Just keep to the left and we'll have fewer accidents AND less congestion. It's up to the government to fix the roads.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, thanks Gaz. You are a delight to have around...!!:blink::D

H.

I aim to disappoint :thumbs: :)

I'm tempting fate now but another day passes and the postie's been and gone, no NIPs yet

Dunk I have been through this on many occasions wondering if that brown envelope is going to hit the mat but the longer it goes with nothing arriving it's more than likely nothing will ;)

Dunk I have been through this on many occasions wondering if that brown envelope is going to hit the mat but the longer it goes with nothing arriving it's more than likely nothing will ;)

I hope your right John, we'll see soon enough, 4 days left