The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Underside shots of the supra im buying. Opinions please

D1andonlyantman

I've been speaking to Finn obviously, and he's found the import details online. It was imported may 2008 with 45011kms. The last NCT before the current one was 2010 because that's when Canada guy moved over there and started only driving the car over the 3 weeks he was home every year, so didn't tax or nct it. I'll go and look it over, if all is well after nigels inspection etc, I'll take it home. As there is no history, he has also said he'll come down 500 quid so I can have a full service including belts, and then I know where i stand with it. He seems like a reasonable bloke and I hope he'd say the same about me. As I'm clearly first in line I see no reason to keep the price a secret, with his 500 reduction it'll be 22k. If all checks out and I'm happy with it, given ive seen quite a few considerably higher miles ones over here for over 20k, 22 doesn't seem mental. Mental 5 years ago, yes, mental today, I don't think so. I'll keep you all posted. Again, thanks for the help

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a car that costs that much id agree with everyone here to be weary of anything and just look it over properly. I spent far less on mine and was under it looking it over, ringing the last garage that serviced her and having someone tail me when i test drove it. Anyway let us know how you get on.

The we irish as a car nation in generally are animals were purely A to B I'd never buy a 2nd car even from main dealer in Ireland, however there is small group car fanatics, the whole vrt rebate thing threw me but I think Finn is honest genuine he has agreed to any inspection so time will tell, the main prob I feel is history before Finn had it etc, I can't really comment on price as I'd want at least 10k more for mine if I were ever to sell, but as they are getting scarce now and he wants a supra it's a sellers market. I love my supra and as 2nd or 3rd car is a lovely car to own. And over here in ireland I guess it really stands out as we don't have the Aston Martin porsche Ferrari Bentley market.

There is not a day you drive it without people flashing you beeping thumbs up pulling up alongside egging you to give the beans.

Il agree with you there Nigel heads turn all the time when mine is out looking to race or just here it pop and bang. up in the north here

Re-booked for next weekend. I thought we were over the worst of it! I played a nice round of golf last weekend haha. But thanks for the advice

FYI if you do buy and want the VRT refund:

"It has to be in your own name, has to have a valid NCT, be inspected by VRT crowd and then exported within a 4 week period. They will accept ferry receipt for proof of exportation."

Yeah, we're going to register it in my name on the Irish logbook. Then once I've got everything in place here, I'll bring it back to Ireland for a weekend to get the inspection done. Then officially export it. That's the plan anyway. I'm open to ideas if anyone knows an easier way

Have the guy do the VRT export exam before you arrive, its a simple check. If he thinks it will sell no bother it shouldn't be a problem, they'll then quote the VRT amount he'll definitely get back and you both can negotiate what to do then. Although the quote could take longer to receive as its not on the calculator anymore but at least the exam would be done and there would be no need to keep the car in Ireland.

Not buying it. Not insulting the seller but yesterday he mentioned the car isnt in his name to avoid paying tax on the car when he's not using it (or something like that), and he can drive it on his other insurance policy if it's not in his name, but if he owns it he needs a policy on it. Could very well be true but I can't take that gamble. Losing 22k would kill me, and ignoring clear signs that bother me would make me hate myself if it did all go wrong. Maybe I've missed a good deal, but id rather that than get stitched up somehow. Good luck to him though. If anyone wants to steal the Deal, pm finn

Not buying it. Not insulting the seller but yesterday he mentioned the car isnt in his name to avoid paying tax on the car when he's not using it (or something like that), and he can drive it on his other insurance policy if it's not in his name, but if he owns it he needs a policy on it. Could very well be true but I can't take that gamble. Losing 22k would kill me, and ignoring clear signs that bother me would make me hate myself if it did all go wrong. Maybe I've missed a good deal, but id rather that than get stitched up somehow. Good luck to him though. If anyone wants to steal the Deal, pm finn

Wise move pal. Not worth the risk.

Many Jap spec cars imported to Ireland historically had no VAT paid on them, which, if memory serves, needs paying if it later leaves the Republic. There was a lot of hassle with traders bringing cars into the Republic to avoid VAT then shipping them to the UK, they got away with it for a while then the proverbial hit the fan. I have no idea if that's still the case, but it's something to consider. I may have elements of this wrong, but I do recall a big hoo hah over VAT....

Onwards and upwards mate, you know my feelings about this car as we spoke at length via pm. There will be others. Have you been in touch with Torque GT or Jürgen about possible stock or importing?

Also have a crack at editing your wanted advert and putting your maximum budget in the thread title. Someone who hasn’t advertised maybe tempted and contact you.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Cheers for the help everyone. Onwards and upwards. I did speak to jurgen but he was talking high miles for my budget. Despite losing 600 quid in bookings with this deal, my budget is probably up to around 24k now, so maybe it's worth putting the feelers out again. I think 24k is my limit though tbh. I want supra but this is getting silly lol. I'll edit my buying post. Cheers

Sounds like a wise move.

If you decide you can settle for a facelift auto, I'll be putting mine up for sale in a few weeks (when i get back from hols). Imported via Jurgen less than a year ago and low miles. Plus, I'm in Herts also so no long trips :-) and it will be well below your budget.

Have you been in touch with Torque GT or Jürgen about possible stock or importing?

Those guys haven't listed a Supra for yonks so you know there is no money to be made in importing Supras at the moment. You are now seeing 100k miler TT6's (yes miles not km) cars coming up in Japan for over Y3mn which would be near on £25k landed taxes paid. The JDM importers are all stuck on Datsuns, Hondas or Mitsus these days. The Japan prices for Supras are rising much faster than the UK prices and until a UK correction takes place the importers will, I'd expect, only bring in cars to order and for TT6's they are now realistically likely to be looking at around the £30k mark. So unless the OP can push a little higher to get that free from rust fresh import they may as well stick to looking locally where you can get a very decent car for £24k if someone is prepared to or is looking to sell.

It definitely worth a look. An ex-drifters car, I'm sure its never been over 50mph sideways. Looks good original condition though. One thing that I've always found strange with this car is in all the adverts, it is listed wide and far, there are no interior shots. Maybe its stripped out for racing or got a cage or a butchered dash? So, I'd ask for some interior shots before taking time out to go see.

Sounds like a wise move.

If you decide you can settle for a facelift auto, I'll be putting mine up for sale in a few weeks (when i get back from hols). Imported via Jurgen less than a year ago and low miles. Plus, I'm in Herts also so no long trips :-) and it will be well below your budget.

Pm sent

Sounds like a wise move.

The White one? Your mad :)

Cheers for all the help mate. Unfortunately I can't afford your minter lol

You could if you weren’t stuck on a manual.

It’s been for sale for a long time. You would want the OEM airbox putting back on, good luck finding one of those if the seller no longer owns it.

If it’s still for sale (lots advertised for sale have long since gone, it’s a ploy to get you there to look at stock) take a knowledgable member with you to look at it.

Have you been out for a drive in any yet?

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Yeah, the white one. It’s a very good one, but I’m hankering for a change. Normally change a few times a year and I realise OEM cars in this condition are rare and going up in value but I’ve an itch for another, and I need to scratch it

- - - Updated - - -

Pm sent

/QUOTE]

Nothing received...

Yeah, the white one. It’s a very good one, but I’m hankering for a change. Normally change a few times a year and I realise OEM cars in this condition are rare and going up in value but I’ve an itch for another, and I need to scratch it

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing received...

Sorry ment to put that under antos post lol

No i havent been out in any yet. Going to view the vvti tomorrow. He's just got the docs back from the DVLA. Said they took ages on that one for some reason. Is the vvti really worth the extra? Someone has contacted me about a lovely black non vvti, basic mods but clearly good maintenance etc, said 20k for it, but they recommended I get the vvti I've posted. I prefer 20k but also prefer the better model....

Oh, and the name's Anton :)

Edited by D1andonlyantman (see edit history)