The mkiv Supra Owners Club

(slightly) damaged UKspec

Kaamos

Hi people,

my beloved supra has to go.

Due to a shitty mechanic I lost a wheel on the german highway, didn't hit anything, lucky enough, and the car has minimal damage (worth 2.200£ of repair, parts + labour).

Problem is, here in France, we can't fit aftermarket or used parts and the car needs a new suspension arm which is not available from toyota anymore. As a result, the car can't get back on the road here...... stupid paperwork madness.....

It's a storm blue '94 TT UKspec auto 163.000miles

Make: TOYOTA

Model: SUPRA MKIV

Transmission : auto

Year: '94

Facelift: no

Mileage: 163.000

MOT remaining: 6month left of "contrôle technique" (french MOT), car has french reg plate now

Service history: most of it

Car's location: Strasbourg, FRANCE

Modifications:

Full stock except :

oem skirts + spats

aftermarket exhaust (unknown, rather quiet)

some hoses here and there

19" rota grids with toyo proxes on (about 50% left of them, 275 rear 245 front)

rear spoiler has been removed

BC coilovers

dash lights converted to blue and panel painted in shiny gunmetal.

jspec plastic headlights with black interior (eurospc LHD glass headlights in the pictures but I got the other ones left)

Good bits: Let aside the rear left axle, the car is in clean condition.

Bad bits: WARNING : the car is in Strasbourg, FRANCE, but for legal reason it can't be driven here anymore, only towed/loaded/whatever.

PRICE : Waiting for sensible offers, if any

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223101[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223102[/ATTACH]

well I was just putting it in short... yes I can fit aftermarket parts (as long as they are road legal) but here after the loss of the wheel, it becomes an insurance issue : insurance handles the repair and tehrefore would not fit any part if there's no toyota invoice atatched to it, therefore no aftermarket and no used part.

Toyotiy, jp-carparts and such helped me fonding the parts number but they are not available anymore, new from a toy dealer.

Told you, shitty french law issue.

Having it repaired abroad and sent back to france isn't an option either, as the "carte grise " (french V5) is "blacklisted" unless the repair has been acknwoledged by the insurance (sorry for the awkward explanation but I don't master the legal jargon in english)

well I was just putting it in short... yes I can fit aftermarket parts (as long as they are road legal) but here after the loss of the wheel, it becomes an insurance issue : insurance handles the repair and tehrefore would not fit any part if there's no toyota invoice atatched to it, therefore no aftermarket and no used part.

Toyotiy, jp-carparts and such helped me fonding the parts number but they are not available anymore, new from a toy dealer.

Having it repaired abroad and sent back to france isn't an option either, as the "carte grise " (french V5) is "blacklisted" unless the repair has been acknwoledged by the insurance (sorry for the awkward explanation but I don't master the legal jargon in english)

Speak to Keron @ extremeperformance for the arms....

Makes complete sense to me. I'm also pretty sure if a UK insurance repair shop was handling the repair of one of our Supras it would go the same way, as an insurance repair has to use all OEM parts I've always believed.

Makes complete sense to me. I'm also pretty sure if a UK insurance repair shop was handling the repair of one of our Supras it would go the same way, as an insurance repair has to use all OEM parts I've always believed.

Having worked for a short time in an insurance approved body shop, depending on the insurance company they are more then happy to use pattern parts, including 1 yr old BMWs / Audis etc.

Having worked for a short time in an insurance approved body shop, depending on the insurance company they are more then happy to use pattern parts, including 1 yr old BMWs / Audis etc.

That's good to know for us lot, thanks for the info :thumbs:

But what about when it's a discontinued part, and there is no alternative pattern part? Like some of the suspension arms. It could get a bit tricky, and end up a write off due to being un-repairable :/

Ok I first did not intend to bother you with useless details but just so everyone's on the same page here's the detail of the situation, I don't know, perhaps it's more or less the same in the UK.

If the car is damages and the repair doesn't involve what the insurance calls "safety parts", then the car can be fitted with either oem parts (new or used) or even aftermarket parts as lo,ng as they are road legal (which is much more complicated in France than in the UK but that's another story).

Now, if the repair involves those so-calles "safety parts" (in my case, suspension arms), then it's another procedure called VE (stands for "véhicule endommagé" in french, or "damaged vehicle") which temporarily "blacklists" or "disables" the reg plate, v5 and VIN of the car .

The car is then sent to an insurance approved body shop, an "expert" comes, checks the car and would only allow new oem parts to be fitted.

He would oversee the repair process after which he has to approve the car condition, then the car has to go through MOT and then only the reg plate/v5/vin are allowed to go back on the road.....

In case the repair cost exceeds the value of the car or, in cy vase, if it's technically impossible to repair it (while meeting their criterias), then it's a write-off.

10 years from now when the car is 30yo I could fit used parts because the vehicle would be old enough to be considered a collector's car and then the rules are different....

here in France, we can't fit aftermarket or used parts

Sounds a bit of a stupid rule seeing all cars go out of production and France has a classic car scene run on recycled parts. Did a quick look around and there isn't anything that jumps out as a ban on aftermarket or recycled used parts. If anything, the opposite seems to be in force.

Riveting read on the Opinion no. 12-A-21 of 8 October 2012 on competition in the vehicle repair and maintenance sector and the spare parts manufacturing and distribution sector

And then there were new French laws introduced in January specifically to promote the use of recycled car parts to reduce carbon footprint. Energy transition for Green Growth with blurb

the French government is implementing a new law effective 1st January 2017 described as “Energy Transition for Green Growth”. All professionals involved in the maintenance and repair of motor vehicles are required to offer consumers recycled or remanufactured parts.

I lost a wheel on the german highway, didn't hit anything, lucky enough, and the car has minimal damage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223101[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223102[/ATTACH]

Doesn't look like there is any damage from the pics.

Sounds a bit of a stupid rule seeing all cars go out of production and France has a classic car scene run on recycled parts. Did a quick look around and there isn't anything that jumps out as a ban on aftermarket or recycled used parts. If anything, the opposite seems to be in force.

Riveting read on the Opinion no. 12-A-21 of 8 October 2012 on competition in the vehicle repair and maintenance sector and the spare parts manufacturing and distribution sector

And then there were new French laws introduced in January specifically to promote the use of recycled car parts to reduce carbon footprint. Energy transition for Green Growth with blurb

You can, unless you are in a "VE" (damaged vehicle) procedure, like I am now.

• 3 weeks later...

Allright people, here's an update to my selling post.

As some of you may already know from the PM's I was waiting for the bodyshop to send me some pictures... well, they are not all as useful as I asked (lazy idiots : they didn't even open the door to shoot the inside pictures...) so I'll update with more pics when I get new ones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223470[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223472[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223473[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223476[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223477[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223478[/ATTACH]

I also included shots from the day of the "crash".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223466[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223467[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223468[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223469[/ATTACH]

I'm still waiting for confirmation from the legal services about selling a damaged car abroad - should be no problem but I'm waiting for the written info.

Eventually, here's a detailed list of parts needed to get the car back to its former glory.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223480[/ATTACH]

I thought all UK spec Supras came with the rear wing, active front spoiler and front bumper washers as standard?

My French isn't great but the parts list doesn't seem to include the drive shaft and that looks like its been bent. Also if the sub frame brace has popped a bolt does that not mean the sub frame could be twisted? Could make wheel alignment interesting.

rear wing and washers have been removed by previous owner.

active front spoiler is here, only not down in the last pictures.

upper arm has popped because the nut was gone but just screwing a nut back into place and wheel alignment was correct, no damage to the sub frame

Driveshaft is fine as well, why are you assuming it's bent ?

The sub frame must have taken a significan jolt through the arms to shear off a brace bolt . You probably wouldn't know if the control arm mount has been damaged until the wheel alignment was checked/set. I'm sure if someone off here buys it they will go in with their eyes wide open and price accordingly but I'd recommend caution about statements that the frame and other drive and suspension components are undamaged without having that geometrically confirmed.

Well, upon first inspection (when those pics underneath were taken), the garage suspected the geometry to be messed up and projected repair costs were much higher.

But when we were finally allowed to work on the car, then geometry was checked several times through the process and it is ok.

• 1 month later...