The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electronic Shifter and Flappy Paddles on the TT Autobox

Burna

Well done Burna, I'm really pleased that you have got this up and running. Like people say this really does bring the auto up to date and looks very classy. I would be interested to know whether this could be coupled to a syvecs ecu, as this effectively replaces the manual selector. Hopefully this will be a mod that can be done as in the future I will be going standalone.

Well done Burna, I'm really pleased that you have got this up and running. Like people say this really does bring the auto up to date and looks very classy. I would be interested to know whether this could be coupled to a syvecs ecu, as this effectively replaces the manual selector. Hopefully this will be a mod that can be done as in the future I will be going standalone.

/QUOTE]

I am guessing Syvecs wont need to touch this, just receive a signal from the ECU so it knows what gear is selected.

Wow that is brilliant. I already have flappy paddle on my Tiptronic (easy mod with tip) but if you ever come up with a selector in that ilk for a tiptronic I would be more than interested 8n a unit. Well done mate that is some work

I can't see it being a massive problem to fit to a tiptronic, and would love to offer it, I'd just need a tiptronic gear selector sending me so i can take a look at it and see what's initially involved :)

Ahh right, got it. So the only functionality lost with this would be the ability to move to neutral if you had a flat battery?

No big deal in my eyes and I look forward to seeing the final photos, and more importantly, the 'group buy' thread :-)

Yeah you would need battery power, but that's not a big deal.

/QUOTE]

It should be no problem, I just need to know what exactly the syvecs takes control of, but yeah you could have one fitted :)

Interesting mod, can you still retain the manual function of the box and engine braking?

Oh yes, as long as you have flappy paddles installed.

Onto the flappy paddle side, and I settled on a Lexus IS250 steering wheel (I'll post pictures later) as I wanted to keep my cruise control as well as add flappy paddles. Flappy paddle function works in both 'D' and 'S'. In 'D' I have control over all 4 gears, and in 'S' I have control over the 3 gears, with faster gear changes. the speed at which the paddles move the autobox gear selector lever between 3rd and 2nd gear is roughly 0.35 seconds, and the same to go from 2nd to first. So you can see it's pretty quick, probably quicker than your hand can move the stock shifter in the cabin. Which means the shifting of the gearbox is not delayed by the electronic shifter, which was one of my goals with this project.

pretty sure the paddles would be the "manual" part, he described it as the paddles moving from 1-2-d

Other gearbox operation is the same?

Yes correct Ric :) 'S' on the electronic shifter is 'MANU' mode on the Supra, and is all plug and play using Toyota plugs to connect to the Supra loom for 'MANU' & 'Overdrive' triggers :)

Also, which I forgot to mention, in the program there is a safeguard to prevent you from by accident putting the shifter into reverse or park while driving. The microcontroller constantly monitors the speed of the vehicle, and will only allow the shifter to change the gearbox to reverse or park once the speed of the car is low enough to safely do so :)

Now whether I needed to add that safeguard I don't know, because maybe Toyota already included that in their shift logic in the gearbox ECU that prevents the box changing gear into reverse at speed, but I wasn't brave enough to test it! lol

Has anyone accidentally put there autobox into reverse while driving? Was there a Toyota safeguard in place? I'd be interested to know.

• 2 weeks later...
Fantastic work Burna, I love it! Do you still need the info for the cruise control stalk (sorry totally forgot to make contact with you about it).

No mate, I sorted it, thank you anyway :) On the way to Suprapod I finally got around to testing the Lexus one I had modified, and happy to say it works perfectly :)

Thanks to those at Suprapod that asked me for a demo of the shifter, your words of praise really mean a lot, thank you. I'm pushing forward to get these on sale as soon as possible, so please be patient :)

For the people who have asked me if the electronic shifter unit can be added to a car currently running a Syvecs ECU with the syvecs controlling the gears with paddles already, the answer is yes, yes you can :) Thanks to Lee at SRD taking to time to look at my shifter on Saturday, and then explaining to me how the syvecs switches into flappy paddle mode, I'm now sure I can program a special shifter for you Syvecs boys :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
I’m so stupidly excited by this... no more having to kick down and guessing when it will change down or up. Question does it need working manu mode as us n/a to tt lot lost that function with the swap

It would be better with MANU mode, as that's the 'S' mode, but when in D you will still be able to use the paddles to select which gear you would like, they just wont be as quick as MANU mode, or hold the gear like MANU does, but still an improvement with the paddles I think, let alone a more modern look in the cabin with the electronic shifter :)

I will be posting shortly approximate prices for the electronic shifter, to gauge genuine interest and to see if it's worth me going ahead and laying out a lot of money to take it to a production stage.