The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra demand

nicky

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are bargains to be had. Like the eBay ones listed last year TT6s for £8k in England and Ireland. They are gone in a few minutes though and come back a few days later for about £10k more. Its down to timing, pure and simple. For your money, you need someone to need or want to be selling and have the money already earmarked for another purchase. Its worth the wait or even buying over market as Supra prices will double again over the next 7 years for collectable, desireable or investable ones. By which time the dogs or the by then older out of date modifieds will mostly be stripped anyway.

I have been considering selling mine for a while as I don't use it anymore,

but I don't need the money and the value keeps rising,

so I keep it maintained and see it as a nest egg, pointless selling now if in a few years I might get more and I get to still enjoy it on odd occassions

same here mate , probably wont tax it this year as my work is flat out

The above sums it up really, why sell? everything else fruity has stabilised or is on the up so it's costly to 'upgrade' and then if something is going up (I'm not as certain as some it'll keep going and going) faster than almost anything you could otherwise do with the cash then there is little reason to sell.

I'd keep a VERY close eye on Ireland, few can be bothered with the hassle of buying from their and they have onerous car tax that can make people frequently consider selling.

A few people I think would sell for the right price but if your looking for a clean one and just hoping to persuade someone to sell you need to make a healthy offer that's for sure.

Other thing for me anyways there not many other Jap cars out there which will be a nice move from the Supra without paying mega money

Only car I would really like is a R34 GTR but not paying 60k for one

I have owned my Supra for over 11 years now and I still really enjoy driving it so unless I get silly offers for mine im keeping it

I dont see the 25K cars flying off the shelf, there are still a lot of dreamers out there, like it or hate it my Topsecret car was iconic but was for sale for ages, it was a complete princess with some amazing parts but ended up going abroad and the deal included a PX I could have done without

Buying a TT6 Single is one thing, insuring, maintaining and running it is just out of many peoples reach and reality hits in once serious inquiries are made, thats why so many interested parties come to nothing

Blimey I don't come on here so often nowadays and didn't realise the price gains. I have had my lowly BPU Tiptronic for 7 years now and us it daily with regular maintenance. I had lost the love and was thinking of selling. Makes you think. Jake's advice is probably good. Go for a tt 6 and then go single yourself. But before going single get all those jobs done that Sups need (engines straight, valve stem seals, suspension rebuilt, brakes overhauled, fuel systems sorted, intercooler checked, timing belt and WP. Once the car is set then the nice to haves can be done:d.

These girls are old now:blink:.

Edited by jonc (see edit history)

A few people I think would sell for the right price but if your looking for a clean one and just hoping to persuade someone to sell you need to make a healthy offer that's for sure.

Other thing for me anyways there not many other Jap cars out there which will be a nice move from the Supra without paying mega money

Only car I would really like is a R34 GTR but not paying 60k for one

I have owned my Supra for over 11 years now and I still really enjoy driving it so unless I get silly offers for mine im keeping it

That right there about the gtr, you love the gtrs just wouldn't pay 60k for one, in the same sense I'm like that with a supra, I love them to bits but I cannot be paying 25-30k for one

That right there about the gtr, you love the gtrs just wouldn't pay 60k for one, in the same sense I'm like that with a supra, I love them to bits but I cannot be paying 25-30k for one

Still, that's how much they cost now (GTRs). If you don't want to pay that for a R34 then you have no R34.. Brutally simple.

Same applies for the supra of the spec you want.

Agreed not everyone has 30K to spend on a 30 year old car so they won't exactly fly off the shelves but that's what you should be prepared to pay if you want a high spec mint one.

That's my view on it anyways.

Yes but I accept that the goods ones/spec etc are at that price, im not trying to convince people to sell there car below the current value lol

So buying one for me is out of the question

Thing is, that still isn t going to be doable for 21k. You'll be looking at a minimum of 17k for a decent single auto with a good ecu, then you'll have 7k+ in gearbox costs, when you start adding all the additional parts needed.

Any auto single you find that will be within your overall budget will be with a piggyback ecu, and fitted with either a cheap or ancient turbo kit.

Maybe a single turbo aristo or vvti soarer would be a better car for you? You would be able to get a nice one of those with a 6 speed for your budget, though they are rare. Cool cars though, within your budget, and very similar to the supra mechanically.

I've not had offers that are sensible so that's great :D as it means I don't have to reject them :p

To the op people are holding on as the value keeps rising because they are rising in Japan and the importers areally asking for more so the private sales will follow suit. That and people with 93s are waiting for the American grey market to open up with the expectation of a value increase across the board.. who knows.

Good luck with your search. Maybe worth getting a auto as they are fantastic and I was looking for that myself before mine showed up. If you go auto and convert to manual depending on gear box you use if you go for oem v16* looking at 5-7k maybe more for the box and bits alone for the conversion. Then to go single it's again probably 10k in parts without labour etc.

Good luck with you search your in the best place to do so and you have a sizeable budget.

I know that Alex (can't remember his forum name) has his big twin 6speed purple supra project for sale or testing the waters at 25k. It's not single but everything is there for you to sale the twins kit and get a single kit.

I've not had offers that are sensible so that's great :D as it means I don't have to reject them :p

To the op people are holding on as the value keeps rising because they are rising in Japan and the importers areally asking for more so the private sales will follow suit. That and people with 93s are waiting for the American grey market to open up with the expectation of a value increase across the board.. who knows.

Good luck with your search. Maybe worth getting a auto as they are fantastic and I was looking for that myself before mine showed up. If you go auto and convert to manual depending on gear box you use if you go for oem v16* looking at 5-7k maybe more for the box and bits alone for the conversion. Then to go single it's again probably 10k in parts without labour etc.

Good luck with you search your in the best place to do so and you have a sizeable budget.

I know that Alex (can't remember his forum name) has his big twin 6speed purple supra project for sale or testing the waters at 25k. It's not single but everything is there for you to sale the twins kit and get a single kit.

I did see that, and it's a very nice car, but as my budget stands at 21k, i'm 4k off his price and i can't budge a penny on my budget as i simply don't have that, as i'm self employed the rest of my funds are tied up in my business and cannot be used.

I did see that, and it's a very nice car, but as my budget stands at 21k, i'm 4k off his price and i can't budge a penny on my budget as i simply don't have that, as i'm self employed the rest of my funds are tied up in my business and cannot be used.

If you can't budge on price you need to go back a re-evaluate what is important to you. I don't mean to be personal but how do you expect to insure, maintain and pay for the running costs of a single TT6 if you can't afford one?

The market dictates the cost and the more truculent you are about this the worse it get. No offence intended but you appear to have champagne tastes on a beer budget. What you think a mint single TT6 can be bought for and the reality are poles apart.

Trying to convince members to sell their car for less than it's worth isn't going to work either, i'd imagine most will ignore you and some might send a reply you aren't too happy about reading.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Grammar. (see edit history)

If you can't budge on price you need to go back a re-evaluate what is important to you.

This is what I had to do. It's either that or take the gamble that you can save quicker than prices are rising. You run the risk of being priced out of the market completely that way.

I'm sure people want to keep hold of their Supra's for the same reason you want to buy one.

The days are gone where these cars offered massive BHP for very little financial outlay. The chavs that could afford and used to buy most of the poor examples, ran them into the ground, wrote them off or they were broken for spares. Supply started to dry up, local prices started increasing, Japan got wise and started upping their prices. The pound fell in value and importing became even more expensive.

Decent examples (I mean ones that are properly maintained with parts being replaced because of age rather than failure) are very hard to come by. These cars now command a premium and members now know that if they sell it's going to be harder to find another without spending a lot more money.

I guess most owners are now true enthusiasts and collectors.

That is my take on it anyway :)

agree with that