The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra demand

nicky

Guest touringteg

I'll give my perspective from Canada. Prices have been rising in Japan (by far the largest source of MKIV Supras) over the past few years. Many have gone to the UK and thanks to the 15 year rules Australia and Canada buyers / importers have also been bringing in JDM versions. Here in Canada less than 300 were ever sold (LHD). We generally have to import from the US where they are highly valued and the CAD is very low versus USD or import from Japan (RHD). I don't know how many but there are quite a few RHD Supra's have been imported. Most of the cars coming up for resale in Canada are NA auto and manual since they are much cheaper.

I picked up a local 94 TT auto JDM RHD earlier this year. 139 kms, alpine silver lightly modified. Since then I have been sorting it with new brakes, 17" USDM TT wheels and new tires, air inlet tube, as well as reversing modifications. I continue to enjoy the car and get it sorted while I wait to see what happens when it is legal for USA export in Feb 2019. Keep in mind that USA's 25 year rule is down to the month. Part of me holding it is to enjoy it and there is nothing I want to replace it with.

I've noticed that with the Integra Type R North American market that many of the good cars are in the hands of true enthusiasts and collectors who aren't selling.

Why sell when you enjoy the car, it continues to appreciate in value and you don't need the money?

A couple of data points if you guys are curious about the North American market:

94 RZ TT6 144kms located in Vancouver BC Canada: $35k CAD / 26k USD

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/6132865493.html

95 USDM TT6 76k miles in the USA sold for $51k USD + buyers premium

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-toyota-supra-2/

Edited by touringteg (see edit history)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a healthy budget for a decent 6 speed twin turbo, get a great one of those and bar the fuel it shouldn't cost you much more than a regular car and will retain value, ie you could own it for a couple of years and easily break even. A single will cost you extra (ranging from a fair bit to crippling) in one way or another.

Can I ask where the need for a single's power is coming from?