The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2017 F1 Thread

Nic

I expected Mercedes to totally dominate that race. Monza is a power track, and the Mercedes car has such an advantage it's almost laughable. They flick a switch to overtake and no other car stands a chance.

Also interesting to note that the FIA has allowed the new Mercedes engine to burn more oil per kilometre for the rest of the season than the others. That seems to have been swept under the rug as I haven't heard it mentioned at all during the TV broadcasts.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from a few very special overtaking moves another wasted sunday lunchtime, I really should do as I say and stick to Moto GP and Touring cars

F1 needs to sort itself out, I liked the talk from Christian yesterday during the rain about a return to a more conventional engine and more noise but cant help thing this is because he is tired of the Merc dominance as well

Also interesting to note that the FIA has allowed the new Mercedes engine to burn more oil per kilometre for the rest of the season than the others. That seems to have been swept under the rug as I haven't heard it mentioned at all during the TV broadcasts.

Havent they imposed a 0.6l limit on oil burning for all teams due to all teams using oil-burn scavenging?

Havent they imposed a 0.6l limit on oil burning for all teams due to all teams using oil-burn scavenging?

Spa was the last race where engines could run at a higher oil burn level before a tightening that would apply to any new engines introduced from this weekend's Monza event.

Mercedes introduced its fourth engines in Belgium, and the FIA clarified that it would therefore be allowed to keep burning 1.2 litres of oil per 100km with for the rest of the season, while Ferrari would have to run at a lower 0.9l per 100km for its final engine.

We can't very well have the rules the same for everyone now can we?

We can't very well have the rules the same for everyone now can we?

Well it is the rules. Mercedes have used all their allocation and Ferrari have one left.

Although you'd think that if Merc did use another engine at some point they'd have to use the new rules.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a Hamilton fan from his first start in F1, so may come across as biased but in this case it is warranted: Vettel what a shocker, the stuff he's done in desperation to win, honestly that was just disgusting

/QUOTE]

No offence but it sounds like you're clutching at straws. It was a mistake, not malicious, so I'm not sure what you are seeing.

Unfortunately for Vettel i very much doubt he knew Kimi was the other side, without Kimi being there verstappen would have moved left, an aggressive block but it would have worked for him

Ultimately he is the cause of the incident imo

The fact Ferrari are blaming Vertsappen is laughable though

There was always going to be a turn 1 accident today

A racing incident trigured by KR getting a blinding start and SV having no idea he was there, I do think MV seeing KR do him up the inside should have conceded he'd lost the corner and maybe rolled out of it and took the fight to them for the rest of the race, you can't win on the first corner but you certainly can lose

Looked to me like an incident that happened from either lack of visibility in their mirrors, or Vettel just wasn't looking in his

I'm not sure if he was trying to squeeze Max or Kimi tbh, but it was certainly his block that caused it. I would say people have been penalised for doing something similar in the past so once again Seb is lucky to just have a DNF in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Im sure this topic has been discussed many times across many forums, but it really bugs me that a team (Ferrari) can not qualify on Saturday (Vettle) and almost get a podium finish on Sunday. I know it has happened before because of safety cars or rain etc but Malaysia was a straight up normal race.

This isnt just me hating on Vettle either, even if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Lewis who managed to claw back some points, in the back of my mind id still be a little bit peeved at F1's current situation.

I started to really get into F1 in the late 80's but I don't fully remember what it was like back then? Has the sport always been like this?

He had an engine/turbo problem so didn't get to set a time so went straight out

He will possibly have more problems in Japan if his gearbox is damaged which i'd guess

it more than likely is

Good to see MV on the top and DR up there as well, shame KR had an engine/turbo problem

though

Roll on Japan

Im sure this topic has been discussed many times across many forums, but it really bugs me that a team (Ferrari) can not qualify on Saturday (Vettle) and almost get a podium finish on Sunday. I know it has happened before because of safety cars or rain etc but Malaysia was a straight up normal race.

This isnt just me hating on Vettle either, even if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Lewis who managed to claw back some points, in the back of my mind id still be a little bit peeved at F1's current situation.

I started to really get into F1 in the late 80's but I don't fully remember what it was like back then? Has the sport always been like this?

Pretty much - had the faster car and he's a good driver, and started on softs, a lot of the cars in front seemed to drag him along with the DRS and then either pit out of his way or not want to get in a fight with him as the passee knew they weren't in a fight with him in reality. Similar in the 90's, eg Mansell could pit, put fresh tyres on, whack up the boost and pass everyone, remember how far behind Piquet he was to win the British GP?

Senna could do the same, pass many cars on lap one, particularly if wet. Combination of fast car, good driving and team tactics.

Yep don't know which way Japan will go!

Pretty much - had the faster car and he's a good driver, and started on softs, a lot of the cars in front seemed to drag him along with the DRS and then either pit out of his way or not want to get in a fight with him as the passee knew they weren't in a fight with him in reality. Similar in the 90's, eg Mansell could pit, put fresh tyres on, whack up the boost and pass everyone, remember how far behind Piquet he was to win the British GP?

Senna could do the same, pass many cars on lap one, particularly if wet. Combination of fast car, good driving and team tactics.

Yep don't know which way Japan will go!

Yeah I guess you're right, perhaps that's the way the sport just is! :)

Suzuka is one of my favorite tracks so looking forward to it. Correct me if I am wrong but high speed tracks usually favors Mercedes :)