The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going Manual - The Big Decision?!

Big Supes

T56 every day. There's zero guarantee that a second hand box won't have issues once installed. I think everyone I have ever seen selling a gearbox says they are low mileage, no it really is... so you would want a moneyback guarantee from the sellver... which not many people would do unless it's from a legit company anyway.

On a sidenote, I really like the look of that kit! A brand spanking new cutting edge Tremec T56 magnum, with huge parts availability. Nice.

Where can I get a built auto for a grand??? !

I'm interested to know as well!

Sent from my LG G5

On a shitter I would say stick anything in it as others have said prices for 20year old Toyota boxes are silly plus if it needs a rebuild your looking at cost of the box again as the only place seems to be sending it to jacks in usa as they bought all the Toyota stock v160/v161 parts. I have seen your car mate and it's mint do you really want to be chopping around a original uk spec example like yours.

Where can I get a built auto for a grand??? !

I'm interested to know as well!

Come on then swampy, where can we all buy one of this built auto boxes for a grand?:blink:

Steve Blackett in Hartlepool, he rebuilt the smashed Titan box I bought of Jamesy to 750 torques for under 700 quid. That was going back a few years. Got recommended to me by a guy from here, who's name escapes me.

Also worth considering is the future of the car. As it's a UK spec and there's a little extra value in the car because of that, then moving it away from it's stock form will effect future value, even more so if a none OEM box is used. Just depends on how anal a future buyer could be further down the line in say, 10 to 20 years. Even a V160/1 fitted won't match the VIN.

Just depends on what you wan't from the car, now and in the future, if you intend on being a very long term owner, or just enjoying driving the car in manual form for the next few years.

That T56 kit looks nice, but I hope they start introducing more road friendly clutches, all the paddle & multi plate clutches they offer current will probably make it a pig to drive in town.

Apparently the single plate clutch is good for 600bhp. I can't imagine it being too harsh. That being said, if I was too concerned about comfort, I'd keep the auto box. :)

Also worth considering is the future of the car. As it's a UK spec and there's a little extra value in the car because of that, then moving it away from it's stock form will effect future value, even more so if a none OEM box is used. Just depends on how anal a future buyer could be further down the line in say, 10 to 20 years. Even a V160/1 fitted won't match the VIN.

Just depends on what you wan't from the car, now and in the future, if you intend on being a very long term owner, or just enjoying driving the car in manual form for the next few years.

On a shitter I would say stick anything in it as others have said prices for 20year old Toyota boxes are silly plus if it needs a rebuild your looking at cost of the box again as the only place seems to be sending it to jacks in usa as they bought all the Toyota stock v160/v161 parts. I have seen your car mate and it's mint do you really want to be chopping around a original uk spec example like yours.

I've thought long and hard about not molesting the car and I've come to the conclusion: As long as it can be restored (undone) to it's original state e.g. no wide-body kits, then it gets a green light. I still have the original head unit, exhaust system and suspension. It would be time well spent completely restoring it should I ever lose the plot and sell up.

- - - Updated - - -

That T56 kit looks nice, but I hope they start introducing more road friendly clutches, all the paddle & multi plate clutches they offer current will probably make it a pig to drive in town.

Apparently the single plate clutch is good for 600bhp. I can't imagine it being too harsh. That being said, if I was too concerned about comfort, I'd keep the auto box. :)

I've thought long and hard about not molesting the car and I've come to the conclusion: As long as it can be restored (undone) to it's original state e.g. no wide-body kits, then it gets a green light. I still have the original head unit, exhaust system and suspension. It would be time well spent completely restoring it should I ever lose the plot and sell up.

Have you driven anything with a T56 Magnum in it? the boxes are dated in design, and agricultural. Not a patch on Getrags, even though the 160 is also a bit of a truck like thing. The Yanks are years behind the Krauts with transmissions. I would urge you to spend an hour with a calculator and look at the ratio options of a T56 Magnum versus the MKIV available diff ratios for the large case units. A quick dabble showed they were not a marriage made in heaven. The BMW diesel boxes are also of far from ideal, ratio wise. Unless you feel the OE Getrag is not up to handling the torque of your engine I still think it's a well developed and simple option, even at the crazy money they fetch. Also be sure to work out just where the gear lever ends up with a T56....

Have you driven anything with a T56 Magnum in it? the boxes are dated in design, and agricultural. Not a patch on Getrags, even though the 160 is also a bit of a truck like thing. The Yanks are years behind the Krauts with transmissions. I would urge you to spend an hour with a calculator and look at the ratio options of a T56 Magnum versus the MKIV available diff ratios for the large case units. A quick dabble showed they were not a marriage made in heaven. The BMW diesel boxes are also of far from ideal, ratio wise. Unless you feel the OE Getrag is not up to handling the torque of your engine I still think it's a well developed and simple option, even at the crazy money they fetch. Also be sure to work out just where the gear lever ends up with a T56....

I haven't driven anything with the T56, neither have I operated a v160 or v161. I can only go on word of mouth and car reviews, but it has to be said, I have yet to see any reviews where the T56 is being slated. A lot of people seem to be praising it. Regarding diff ratios, I am currently looking at options, but either a US spec auto diff thrown in the box or an NA diff until it pops (although I don't visit the drag strip) should bring the T56 more in alignment with the V160. Looking at the pictures in the link in my first post, the gearstick position looks spot on. :thumbs:

The v160/v161 would be able to handle what I'd be throwing at it with ease, but that's not to say it hasn't had a crunchtastic life being in the wrong hands. All it would take is a knackered syncro and it's good night. This is what really concerns me.

Fairly surprised by this post.

Even when new, the shift quality on the Supras Getrag gearbox wasn't praised, yet every review I read of cars equipped with the tremec have only good things to say. But I'm especially surprised that you would choose a 20 year old, used gearbox over a brand new one, which has double the factory torque rating of the Getrag v160.

*if* they put the boxes back into production, then the Getrag would still be the ideal choice. But paying £4k for a used gearbox, one that has a known shortage of parts, and are often subjected to very heavy use, just seems like madness.

As for the ratios, the Magnum is very well supported by the tuning industry, and many gearsets are available.

Interesting thread as I'm in a similar dilemma. I have driven a couple of cars with the T56 and can confirm what CW says, they are quite clunky and don't have the best throw, but I wouldn't say they're significantly more agricultural than a used V160. The BMW option is the one I'm waiting to hear more about, specifically from how Jamie gets on with his one.

Can anyone shed any light on available diff ratios?

That link suggests aiming for around 4 and then says that he uses a 4.7 with no explanation as to what diff this is..?

If you can use Excel there's a document here which shows the stock options and how they impact gearing and speed: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?225050-Supra-specific-gear-diff-ratio-and-tyre-size-calculator

Out of interest, I wonder if the R34 GTR guys are suffering the same problems? As that's the only other factory car that uses the V160.

Didn't know a rb could develop enough torque to worry a v160 ;)

• 2 weeks later...