The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra in a ditch

mplavery

It depends if the council want to prosecute for the lamp post or will accept a payment for replacement. Usually if the police arent prosecuting it is settled civilly - Tom has already confirmed the police have no intention to prosecute so he should be fine in this regard. A lamp post is around 2k as far as i recall from a friends accident a few years ago.

Also any categorisation of category c or above is a total loss write off. The category just stipulates if it can be fixed (cat c), breaker only ( cat b) or must be crushed (cat a)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ouch,

I'm not going to be like some of the sanctimonious posters trying to teach you lessons.

The big thing is that you and your wife are OK. our cars are just metal at the end of day.

Hopefully it can be jigged but if not a replacement shell would be the next best thing. As you say a good chance to give her a full restoration although your wallet batter be full.

I really hope you get her back on the road and you are both OK..

GLW the resto

It depends if the council want to prosecute for the lamp post or will accept a payment for replacement. Usually if the police arent prosecuting it is settled civilly - Tom has already confirmed the police have no intention to prosecute so he should be fine in this regard. A lamp post is around 2k as far as i recall from a friends accident a few years ago.

Also any categorisation of category c or above is a total loss write off. The category just stipulates if it can be fixed (cat c), breaker only ( cat b) or must be crushed (cat a)

/QUOTE]

It's not upto the council or the police.

The highway agency elect companies to operate on their behalf.

So it varies place to place.

Get the insurance to asses the car, the engineer will tell you the score and you can make a decision from there... Having reshelled after an accident I can tell you it's not "fun" I had the ability to have 2 cars on ramps next to each other and it takes a lot of time....

My advice and I wish someone had given this to me... Find out what the insurance will give you, if it's equivalent to what you paid for the car then take the money and run....

Good luck

A local lad i know recieved a bill of £15k for a lamp post and road sign damage, an extremely long story got him out of paying for it but trust me its a hell of a lot more £2k

Insurance need to be notified regardless if you are claiming or not because they are liable for third party damages at a minimum which mean they would foot the bill should the worst happen

Not notifying them could end in tears if that needs paying for

I appreciate all the advice being given here.

Sadly I don't trust that the insurance company will payout anywhere near the market value for my car and it would be a struggle proving it's market worth.

I also don't like how their assessment and judgement is the end of it, I've pretty much been told that if it was taken for assessment it would be declared a write off.

There is no garantee I would be able to buy the car back at all and with no assured value of the car... I simply don't want to risk loosing out and having no control over the situation.

The incident was reported to police by myself, I have chosen not to claim.

The only uncertainty in my situation now is the charge for the lamppost which I presume will come from the highways agency through my insurers.

Yer you dont need to claim for the car, they will still cover the third party damage to the post, should it even happen

But i think youll need to notify them of the incident as without a record they may play funny if a hefty bill lands on their doorstep and they had no record of it happening

I appreciate all the advice being given here.

Sadly I don't trust that the insurance company will payout anywhere near the market value for my car and it would be a struggle proving it's market worth.

I also don't like how their assessment and judgement is the end of it, I've pretty much been told that if it was taken for assessment it would be declared a write off.

There is no garantee I would be able to buy the car back at all and with no assured value of the car... I simply don't want to risk loosing out and having no control over the situation.

The incident was reported to police by myself, I have chosen not to claim.

The only uncertainty in my situation now is the charge for the lamppost which I presume will come from the highways agency through my insurers.

I know an accessors that could give you a desk based assessment if you sent pictures of the whole car, having an Independent report along with adverts of similar cars can get you paid out a decent amount, FYI I got £11500 from Adrian Flux for my Supra...

PM me if you want and I'll put you in touch with someone that could help...

The car is on your drive yes? They can assess it there surely, I wouldn't let it go anywhere. I'd claim and see what they say/offer after all you are effectively claiming re the lamp post. It really really bugs me these stories where they say we'll pay you 'x' but you can't keep your car, is it really true that they can refuse a payout if you insist on keeping your car!?

I can get the car inspected by someone I trust first, if I then choose to claim after that Atleast then I would have some evidence to support a case against their judgement.

At the end of the day, insurance companies are there legally but there to make the most money they can. They will do everything they can to get out from paying out.

I informed my insurance company less than an hour after the crash. I have said that I don't wish to make a claim.

Maybe someone can confirm as to how long I can reserve the right to claim for an accident in the past?

I can get the car inspected by someone I trust first, if I then choose to claim after that Atleast then I would have some evidence to support a case against their judgement.

At the end of the day, insurance companies are there legally but there to make the most money they can. They will do everything they can to get out from paying out.

I informed my insurance company less than an hour after the crash. I have said that I don't wish to make a claim.

Maybe someone can confirm as to how long I can reserve the right to claim for an accident in the past?

Check your policy wording, it will tell you about notification/claims procedure... Who are you insured with?

Brokers, my car is actually insured by markerstudy I think they are called

/QUOTE]

In reality the claims service will depend on the insurer's position on these things not the broker.

My point is that just because Adrian Flux impressed someone re one claim doesn't mean it will be the same on another (that is on the assumption there is different insurers involved).

Brokers, my car is actually insured by markerstudy I think they are called

/QUOTE]

If you're insured with Markerstudy via Sky, they (Sky) will refer you to their claims company, 4 months later I'm still waiting for a resolution or an answer other than 'we haven't heard back back from the third party'. What they don't tell you is that you need to speak to Markerstudy as well to log it as a notification only. What they also don't tell you is that if you renew during this time they slap £250 on your premium because of 'an ongoing claim' despite 10 years protected no claims (on a Supra)

PS: After 10 years with them I'm probably not going to renew with Sky, or a broker for that matter

If you're insured with Markerstudy via Sky, they (Sky) will refer you to their claims company, 4 months later I'm still waiting for a resolution or an answer other than 'we haven't heard back back from the third party'. What they don't tell you is that you need to speak to Markerstudy as well to log it as a notification only. What they also don't tell you is that if you renew during this time they slap £250 on your premium because of 'an ongoing claim' despite 10 years protected no claims (on a Supra)

PS: After 10 years with them I'm probably not going to renew with Sky, or a broker for that matter

I am not the op :)

The third party will say "I was just standing there, minding my own bloody business, sober as a judge, when this maniac knocked me down and I don't even light up now. He just left me there, bent and disfigured. I'm seeing a lawyer tomorrow, I want some compo!" ;)

Going rate is about £1,500? http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=226&t=102392