Supra in a ditch

mplavery

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the video for this on another forum I frequent and my heart sank to see a UK going off like that so I popped on here to see if everyone was OK. My treasure trove of parts isn't a patch on what it used to be but I think I have a brand new, in packet UK rear wheel arch trim piece for that side that is free of charge should you need it. It's not much I know but it might help at some point when you hopefully put things back together. If I stumble across anything else I'll let you know.

That's some great club spirit there :thumbs:

Can you recall if the auto box decided to change up at the moment it went off? My advice, for what it's worth, is to drive autos in manual mode when pressing on in the wet, then you *know* just when a torque change will occur. Most unfortunate, and sad to see, but no one was hurt, thankfully. I am afraid that looks like an economic write off to me, either a re-shell or a break for parts jobbie :( Was it on stock suspension? Ultra stiff suspension is hugely unforgiving in the wet, and not much kinder in the dry, some of the things I get to test drive are accidents looking for a place to happen ;) Hope you get to sort things without too much a financial blow.

Without any real certainty I would say that the car did change up a gear initiating the slide (2nd into 3rd) . Could have been boost coming in?

The cars on stock suspension and there wasn't any worn suspension components, I had it on a ramp two nights before and went over the whole underside.

This is an experience i'll be learning alot of lessons from.

Possibly running tyres at too high a pressure, oem traction control... The biggest factor for me is experiance, prior to having the supra i've had a year with a mx5 and a honda hornet 600...they arn't even half the power of what i jumped up to.

I'm doing my very best to find out if it can be done on a jig. Is there anyone you would recommend Chris?

Having seen this video a few times firstly I'm glad you and your wife are ok and that is the main thing.

Cars can be repaired and at the end of the day its just a piece of metal and plastic - you however are much more complex.

Looking at the images I have to agree with Chris unfortunately that looks a write off and not really salvagable so you will either have to transplant everything to a new shell or cut your losses.

Hopefully you have the resources available to you so you can break the car as thats the only way you will get a decent amount of money back.

If the chassis is bent I would not even bother, the costs will far out weigh any benefit, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I don't get involved in bodywork, and when I did a mischief to my Skyline at Oulton I used a guy who has since retired, so he's no good to you. If it needs jigging I would abandon that shell and buy another shell, but do not underestimate the work if it's not a TT. The photo seems to show a crease where the rear 3/4 panel meets the roof, which would be a nightmare to deal with.... :( Are you well covered on the insurance? If so take the money and run.

I suspect that sudden breakaway was it changing up mid corner. Imagine doing that on a greasy wet road on your bike, it's just asking for trouble. I ALWAYS drive RWD powerful autos in manual mode if having a bit of fun in the wet, road or track. The MKIV auto is notorious for "surprising" drivers when it changes gear mid corner, under boost. *YOU* want to tell it when you want it to change gear, and that's not in the middle of a wet bend! If it's any consolation I spun my F3000 three times in one lap when I first drove it, which was, as Sod's Law demands, in the wet, at Donington. That thing is a beast and on old wets it was plain frightening :) It goes from off the cams and a pussy cat to a raging beast in 500 RPM. We all follow a learning curve! Good luck with it, don't rush headlong into doing anything rash about fixing it up, it could be a real money pit.

I saw the video for this on another forum I frequent and my heart sank to see a UK going off like that so I popped on here to see if everyone was OK. My treasure trove of parts isn't a patch on what it used to be but I think I have a brand new, in packet UK rear wheel arch trim piece for that side that is free of charge should you need it. It's not much I know but it might help at some point when you hopefully put things back together. If I stumble across anything else I'll let you know.

Where the hell have you been hiding? :)

Yes ok. If you say so. [emoji849]

Nice to see Michael back. I've missed his bleeding eye.

Im not having a go mate so please don't take it the wrong way.

It is a fact that it takes quite a bit of skill to properly handle a supra and even more so with the auto - not that i profess to be any great driver myself.

Im just saying to be driving a 90's turbo rwd with a reasonably aggressive setup from stock, to be relying on traction control ( and poor traction control at that), to keep you in check in the wet is extremely unwise. I think most will agree on this, first thing i do when I start mine is turn TC off!

Im not having a go mate so please don't take it the wrong way.

It is a fact that it takes quite a bit of skill to properly handle a supra and even more so with the auto - not that i profess to be any great driver myself.

Im just saying to be driving a 90's turbo rwd with a reasonably aggressive setup from stock, to be relying on traction control ( and poor traction control at that), to keep you in check in the wet is extremely unwise. I think most will agree on this, first thing i do when I start mine is turn TC off!

/QUOTE]

I agree totally but you need to think of another way of coming across, especially when someone has just totalled their pride and joy;)

reshelling or breaking for parts would be the easy way out here. Sadly it was a uk spec which are rare enough. I have no intention of ever selling my supra so i'm more than happy to take as long as needed to repair my mistake.

I'm really enjoying the prospect of restoring it to an even better condition than before the crash, less so with spending a vast sum of money on repairing.

it'll be putting it on a jig to ensure it is totally straight before any other work takes place, if it turns out that its too structurally damaged then I will have no other choice but to look for a shell or break for parts. It's worth giving the car a second chance.

Currently getting quotes to give me an initial idea of repair costs.

Shame that lamp post was there other wise it wasn't a to bad of place to have a off, glad your both ok!

That pillar will give you alot of problems trying to fix mate I would have thought , im pritty sure the insurance company are going to want to take it away to be scrapped correctly according to the law, iirc anything over a cat D has to go to a registered breakers.

I take it the insurance is involved as you wiped out a lamp post which will cost abit and as its all over the social media they will know who done it.

I would strip some of the rare / expensive parts off now just in case

What you could do is get the insurance payout and buy it back for scrap value (usually about 300quid) fix it and still be up money......although the car will be categorised then even if it is fixed. Which doesnt really make a huge difference if you are going to keep it. Mines cat c like and its mint now, i dont have an issue with it, drives the very best and you'd never know

What you could do is get the insurance payout and buy it back for scrap value (usually about 300quid) fix it and still be up money......although the car will be categorised then even if it is fixed. Which doesnt really make a huge difference if you are going to keep it. Mines cat c like and its mint now, i dont have an issue with it, drives the very best and you'd never know

/QUOTE]

Thats if it is a cat C , they could well make it a total write off then he wouldn't be able to get it back at all, really depends on that A pillar in my mind if its bent behind the quarter its game over.

Thats if it is a cat C , they could well make it a total write off then he wouldn't be able to get it back at all, really depends on that A pillar in my mind if its bent behind the quarter its game over.

if the insurance is going to be involved by default then what choice does the OP have? :(

Usually though they wont category A or B it unless someone died in it or its unrecognisable as a vehicle

/QUOTE]

Someone did die did you not see the lamp post!

You sure, I thought it was categorised by cost of repair, with out insurance being involved maybe repairable but with them involved I dont see it hope im wrong. Thats the problem they may have to get involved due to lamp post death

if the insurance is going to be involved by default then what choice does the OP have? :(

I think it depends if the police make a report to the accident database about it but as far as I know when they make their settlement offer they will either give the option or you can request to buy it back for scrap. As long as its cat c (which i think is fairly likely), or below they will offer a settlement on that basis but scrap value is only hundreds so its always worth it!