The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What does J spec and UK spec really mean?

rider

Guest markolambo

No apparently they turn a russet brown colour in the northern hemisphere and as such are disowned by the japanese decendents as unworthy and ownders can only drive at night due to the shame

You are still struggling to work it out. That variant would be a modified J Spec and would fit in the 'modified Supra' class. It wouldn't be original spec as it left the factory. Neither is a modified UK spec, that isn't original spec as it left the factory. Its the word spec that has lost its meaning amongst owners. A spec cannot be changed, its fixed.

It's a term used to define what market the car came from and has literally been used for decades, if you want to start ripping into the 'spec' part, then how far do you go? 'Original tires gone? Oh sorry, not UK spec any more', 'Oh is that not the OE spec oil and fuel filters? Sorry, this car is a mongrel of the highest standard', 'Holy Jesus, this apparent UK spec car has been waxoyl'd!'.

For somebody who has had a Supra for as long as you, how do you not know the standard terminoligy that even the newest of newbies understand.

Next you'll be complaing BPU isn't basic enough.

UK Spec were sold with different options aimed at the uk market. and they never sold a Aerotop UK spec car.

The UK spec standard twin turbo set up were made of steel and the J-Spec mad of ceramic

Uk specs were sold through official UK dealers

A Supra is a Supra and regardless of UK spec or j-spec the value will always be reflected on the quality of craftsmanship that has gone into the car, the rarity of the car (UK cars are rarer in a good condition) (manual cars are more expensive in what ever form they are).

This thread is covered in the what to look for PDFs on the homepage BTW :)

Spec is shortened term for specification

Google searched revealed this meaning for specification

"a detailed description of the design and materials used to make something"

:search:

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

For somebody who has had a Supra for as long as you, how do you not know the standard terminoligy that even the newest of newbies understand.

I do of course know the terminology, I'm just saying its wrong terminology which didn't matter until Supra values went on the rise. Now its just plain wrong terminology that will have a growing impact on value so maybe people should take note of that and start referring to their cars as 'originally J spec' or 'originally UK spec' because as I wrote, you can arrive at any modified Supra from any starting specification platform fairly easily.

Guest markolambo

What about roobarb and custurd i thought custurd sometimes wore pyjamsas and talked making him no different from the students i see in tesco

I do of course know the terminology, I'm just saying its wrong terminology which didn't matter until Supra values went on the rise. Now its just plain wrong terminology that will have a growing impact on value so maybe people should take note of that and start referring to their cars as 'originally J spec' or 'originally UK spec' because as I wrote, you can arrive at any modified Supra from any starting specification platform fairly easily.

I can't tell if you're trolling.

If I modify my UK Spec, it's still a UK Spec.

This thread itself is turning into the cats pyjamas.

If I view a UK spec that is bpu, it doesn't stop being a uk spec; as any reasonable person would conclude that the things that make the car uk spec are still present unless swapped or uprated.

Also, there are lots more diferences to a uk spec that have been mentioned here; the drive shaft for example is stronger and the auto box and diff to name a few more.

Thanks for your concern for the buyers in the market, but I don't think anyone else seems to be confused ;)

If you actually drive your car properly rider, you will wear out a few parts, and when you go to buy new and discover that Toyota don't make said parts anymore, yours will have to be an aftermarket parts mongrel too! Wrong spec and worth nothing like the rest of ours apparently :D

[

That's the point I'm trying to get across. All Supras were exported from Japan. All Supras came out of the same factory. The only difference was the market specific specification and the UK specification is judged favourably with a price premium. Surely, if you change the specification away from stock the car is no longer market specification specific and the further you move away from stock the more 'generic' the vehicle becomes. There is essentially no difference to a modified Supra running the roads in Japan or the UK as the modifications can be easily achieved from any original market specific platform.

It appears the UK premium for a modified car must lie solely in the VIN number though I can't find any reference to UK registered vehicle's being allocated unique numbers or a closed sequence of VIN numbers. I assume they must have otherwise it'd be very difficult to prove a vehicle was UK first registered beyond the information recorded on the vehicles V5 and that isn't a document that you could rely upon to carry totally accurate information. So, it is looking like it comes down to how much is a VIN stamp worth and how easily a VIN can be identified to a specific market specification product?

I think you'll find a late Jspec has more premium than a UK Spec.

An as others have said, it is pretty basis. Think you are over complicating a simple matter.

All Uk specs are Pre-Facelift

Steel Turbo's

550 injectors

EGR system

Bigger brakes

Glass Headlights

Big Rear Diff With Cooler

Bonnet Scoop

Outside Temperature built into the digital Clock

Headlight Washers

Heated Seats

Etc Etc

cant think of anything else different at the minute Im sure that its been hinted at that the cam profiles are slightly different can anybody add to the list^^

Right, I'll sum this up simply and quickly as there is no need to have a second thread on the matter.

A UK Spec is and forever will be a UK Spec because that is what it is.

A J Spec is and forever will be a J Spec because that is what it is.

An EU Spec is and forever will be a EU Spec because that is what it is.

A US Spec is and forever will be a US Spec because that is what it is.

Different markets had different rules therefore the cars had different parts added/removed/swapped/upgraged to suit said markets.

Anything else? If so, reread the thread, it's all in here.

Oh and Matt - Cream interior ;)

Edited by listy (see edit history)