The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New private plate soon.

tony tt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you guys get any grief for making the plate read different from how it should be ?

I run mine with correct lettering and just a small space in the wrong place. The few traffic cars who have pulled me over during having the plate have said that its got the wrong spacing but they are not bothered but another might be.

The one Bobby who spoke to me was a dick, didnt believe the supra was mine, usual power tripping stuff. once i said I will got to Halfords and get a new one he let it be

Isn't it right though that you cant have a private plate of a standard format reading newer than the vehicle is? This is the problem im having atm as being an L reg I am quite limited on standard format plates and it seems very expensive for different format plates.

Yeah, basically the rule of thumb is you can't make your car appear newer than it is, but you can make it look older :D

Yes your right, but I have seen some Dateless plates fetching around the 2k mark which to me isn't that much, but as a trader its all relative. I've invested quite a lot in plates but to someone else I would understand why you would see that as excessive.

Don't you guys get any grief for making the plate read different from how it should be ?

I've only ever been pulled once for having the '1' too thin. My brothers plate 'HAR 100N' was basically thinned slightly as the '1' was shaved off by a quarter of its width. Tbh had it running for over a year until a pedestrian police officer who had nothing better to do whilst I was parked up said I ought to change the '1' so not much to worry. Spacing really isn't an issue it's more so when you start to modify the characters, like making a 'G' look like a '6' but again all depends on the officer.

HAROON.jpg

Edited by Supra2jze (see edit history)

One copper (who stopped me because he thought the glow inside my car was my phone - It was infact my stereo...) told me that if I could change the plate before he had written my ticket out, he'd let me off. He got as far as saying "If you can change that plate befo....." and the plate was off, legal plate fitted within seconds! The beauty of velcro!!

Another walked over to me whilst in MacDonalds drive through and just said "Sort the plate out buddy. My food's gonna get cold. Just say you'll do it." And winked at me as he walked off.

And yeeeeeears ago (when I had the plate on the black car...), I had one wander over whilst in a petrol station and tell me that I should change it as if he saw it again, he'd do me.

Other than that, I've not had any drama's.

I did, however, have a plod try and tell me my import plate was illegal, when infact it was a JM Imports front plate! He was well up for arguing about it until I produced my MOT card and asked for a traffic unit to attend. It was perfectly acceptable as far as the traffic guy was concerned.

There's plenty space between the 9 and the N they were bought with the legal spacing and the British Standard info is on them.

Not trying to argue with you Tony but it doesn't look like it in the photos, the gap should be 38 mm

I'm sure you'll be okay with them and was just letting you know in case you got a jobsworth like i did

who threatened to have my private reg withdrawn which they can do plus hand out a fine that can be

up to a max of £1000

Not trying to argue with you Tony but it doesn't look like it in the photos, the gap should be 38 mm

I'm sure you'll be okay with them and was just letting you know in case you got a jobsworth like i did

who threatened to have my private reg withdrawn which they can do plus hand out a fine that can be

up to a max of £1000

I wasn't thinking you were arguing mate at all. I've a mate in traffic who thinks it's hilarious he's local too so hopefully I won't get too much attention. :)