The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who says autos are no good

hogmaw

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a manual. Sold it, bought an auto. Some of us live with twisty back roads, some of us live where there is traffic and do motorway miles. Why on earth people think the gearbox makes or breaks the car I don't know.

Would I do a manual swap? No. Why? Because I think some flappy paddle shifters in the future will make my Supra the perfect car for me. :)

And traffic, traffic lights, speed bumps etc.

Which the manual is fine at as well

Jamesy didn't change it, it was either Sumo power or Chingy. Manual gearboxes hold cars back compared to sequential ones, they only ever use manual boxes because of Homologation rules or budget constraints.

There are performance arguments for autos and manuals, what the manual is truly better at is heightening driver involvement. But that is the remit of sports cars, which the Supra is not. The Supras steering for example is not that of a sportscar either.

Well someone saw sense , if my supra didn't hand out punishment to the "sport cars" of today I would probably of moved on , the sport car category these days is so vast it includes cars such as audi TT's ,mx5,tvr,louts Elise's not just your lambo or Ferrari .

And traffic, traffic lights, speed bumps etc.

Jamesy didn't change it, it was either Sumo power or Chingy. Manual gearboxes hold cars back compared to sequential ones, they only ever use manual boxes because of Homologation rules or budget constraints.

There are performance arguments for autos and manuals, what the manual is truly better at is heightening driver involvement. But that is the remit of sports cars, which the Supra is not. The Supras steering for example is not that of a sportscar either.

You sure it was auto? Chingy didn't change it as I remember sumo selling it, I called them up thinking about buying it, they changed it from a T51 to T04z when they got it, they never mentioned it being an auto to me.

If it was auto, at least they saw sense :D

:D

How many 6 speed Supras have done a 6 second 1/4 mile?.. :D

As per my first post in this thread that's one of the good things a auto is good at Drag racing I use my car on the road as do most and don't run drag radials etc.

Had a manual. Sold it, bought an auto. Some of us live with twisty back roads, some of us live where there is traffic and do motorway miles. Why on earth people think the gearbox makes or breaks the car I don't know.

Would I do a manual swap? No. Why? Because I think some flappy paddle shifters in the future will make my Supra the perfect car for me. :)

Why put modern day flappy paddles on a 4spd slow changing gearbox its not going to change gear any faster is it? even with the syvecs you might be able to shave some time off but still will not be anything close like a modern day car as I said earlier my friends vw golf r does a gear change in 8ms suits flappy paddles and that's in a golf

You sure it was auto? Chingy didn't change it as I remember sumo selling it, I called them up thinking about buying it, they changed it from a T51 to T04z when they got it, they never mentioned it being an auto to me.

If it was auto, at least they saw sense :D

I can't remember where I saw/read it, but I was surprised by it too. I'll try and find the source again, but it was some time ago.

Some info here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?268121-The-Original-quot-DO-LUCK-quot-SUPRA-thread-!!&p=3996971

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

As per my first post in this thread that's one of the good things a auto is good at Drag racing I use my car on the road as do most and don't run drag radials etc.

Why put modern day flappy paddles on a 4spd slow changing gearbox its not going to change gear any faster is it? even with the syvecs you might be able to shave some time off but still will not be anything close like a modern day car as I said earlier my friends vw golf r does a gear change in 8ms suits flappy paddles and that's in a golf

The drag racing thing was a joke :D the box (and the car) are so far remove from stock it's not worth the comparison.

As for paddle shifters, it gives you a greater sense of interaction with the car, and a set of nicely weighted paddles are nicer feeling than shifting the regular auto shifter. It's a worthwhile upgrade for tiptronic owners as its a relatively straight forward conversion.

And using Syvecs, the shift times for the stock auto box can be shortened, LeeP has had some great results with upgrading the stock gearshift times.

If you ever find yourself in Yorkshire, you're welcome to try my car out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what the stock tiptronic box with some decent shifters feels like. :) I wouldn't for a second claim that it offers the sort of driver feedback that a manual does, but it is an excellent compromise, and a great daily drive. :)

The throw feels a little shorter and the gearstick is shorter in height too in comparison to the V161. I got to agree with others is isn't as smooth as modern gearboxes but I personally find it feels quite nice. Feels solid and the changes are postive, not a great deal of difference between the two but one thing to bear in mind is the gearing I believe is different between them two.

I've heard other members saying the exact same thing when comparing the two, which has me swaying towards a V160.

So I can change gear myself.

Edit: As I said above, some of us live where there is traffic and motorway miles. I'm one of these people, so for driving around my home city, I want an auto. When I visit my dad who lives out in the countryside with some really nice back roads, I'd quite like to have control myself, although the auto hasn't really held me back on them thus far.

Edited by Tsia (see edit history)

If I remember rightly didnt we beat you in the auto vs manual race? :D

I'm not bashing autos one bit, I love an auto, my navara was one and I would never buy a manual truck but....these sort of cars beg for a manual box, it's more involved and a lot more fun. Oh and about that race, I had a misfire thanks to a coil pack clip :) just as your dad did on his you retard :p manual forever!!!!

Great going in a straight line, rubbish going round twistys.

I have to disagree. I have always said that I could probably be within a second or two of a manual car on a track day. Having owned and driven fairly hard auto and 6speed cars I know using the autobox as manually as possible will give a very quick car. It has engine braking, it is quick to shift and it never misses a gear. I always make sure I have decent brake pads on the car too as it is just a different driving style.

I have to disagree. I have always said that I could probably be within a second or two of a manual car on a track day. Having owned and driven fairly hard auto and 6speed cars I know using the autobox as manually as possible will give a very quick car. It has engine braking, it is quick to shift and it never misses a gear. I always make sure I have decent brake pads on the car too as it is just a different driving style.

Hmm, you would say that lol.

I did the Nurburgring in my UK auto, and although I would have preferred to have been in a manual, it was still a lot of fun. As you described, I was using Manu mode. The only downside was that after 4 laps, the gearbox was hotter than I would have liked. If I were doing trackways regularly in an auto, I would definitely invest in some SRD coolers.

I've driven 5 getrag box Supras now, and I've always been surprised how different the boxes feel. The one in my single was by far the nicest to use, and I suspect it had a brand new box put in just before I bought it. The second UK spec one I drove was just horrible.

As I said before though, I reckon the linkages must play a part in it too.

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile winning's winning:D

370BHP Tiptronic = Best of both worlds.

i spend about 40% of my time using the wheel shifters, the rest is in drive just cruising around and it's wonderful. You start seeing the negative sides of manuals, i drive my other car wondering why i have to stir the gearbox so much... Which happens a lot when it's a 150BHP turbo diesel so as soon as the fun stuff happens it's over and you have no boost -_-

This debate will drag on & on & on! I personally have never been much of an Auto fan, was very sceptical on Autos beforehand, but after driving the Auto Supra TT I must admit I was happy with the way the Auto drove & overall It was excellent in terms of comfort, it was smooth to drive & the response etc was all on point.., especially on the motorway & oh the kick-downs :D (70-130mph it did feel good!) But yeah, the Auto took me by surprise because this time last year all I had on my mind was a Manual Sup & I could never see myself owning an Auto Supra, just goes to show you shouldn't be judgemental.

I will however, at some stage like to own a 6 speed.

I quite agree. If you master the driving style of an auto on a track, have decent braking system and I don't mean UK brakes but likes of AP, two Supras of the same spec with driving ability of the drivers the same auto will always win.