The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who says autos are no good

hogmaw

Might be partly to do with that, but even when we was BPU passengers didn't expect the auto to be as savage on kickdown as it was. It just surprises a lot of people!

I had the same reaction with my BPU manual. I think you're making assumptions on what it was that people found surprising. "Kickdown" can be done on a manual, it just involves a second pedal and needs a decent clutch.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same reaction with my BPU manual. I think you're making assumptions on what it was that people found surprising. "Kickdown" can be done on a manual, it just involves a second pedal and needs a decent clutch.

I'd imagine inexperienced people expect a TT manual supra to be fast, in general people think auto supra's are sluggish. Well everyone in my work thinks they are. And ask why would you buy an auto?

I'd imagine inexperienced people expect a TT manual supra to be fast, in general people think auto supra's are sluggish. Well everyone in my work thinks they are. And ask why would you buy an auto?

People, in my experience, are generally idiots though. The Auto N/A I found incredibly sluggish but any TT is going to be fast compared to most cars, regardless of gear box. I actually think my BM would be slower as a manual as I don't think I could keep up with the gear changes (Diesel). They all have their plus and minus points, but pace certainly isn't an argument when the torque is 400ftp+ lol.

People still correct me in saying "Subaru" when they ask about my "other" car.

However, I would suggest you are making a lot of assumptions based on only one side of the coin also. For example your signature shows a 1/4 mile time using a built auto with fast turbo, yet it doesn't beat the 1/4 mile times of a TT manual. Does that mean that manuals are faster? Nope, as the TT Auto 1/4 time in the UK is even faster.

Base your opinion on experience. In your experience the Auto is brilliant, and it is. You cannot compare that which you have not driven to say which is better, and even then it's only which is better for you. The most honest opinions on this thread are going to be from people who have owned both and then decided on which one is better for them. I have not owned both in Supra guise, but I do own both auto and manual cars. I can see the draw from both variants and make my choice based on my usage of both.

I had the same reaction with my BPU manual. I think you're making assumptions o-n what it was that people found surprising. "Kickdown" can be done on a manual, it just involves a second pedal and needs a decent clutch.

It's nothing like the same :D with kickdown, it's almost instantaneous, and the effect is complemented by no let up in acceleration. In a manual supra, the effect is broken down by the accompanying gear changes.

I miss having a manual at times, but A BPU auto in a straight line is one of the great Supra experiences imo.

That kid saying about the lag lol bet he was driving a Honda.

For the auto, Iv never been a massive fan and still can't wait to drop a 6 speed in, I just find that your not in full control with the gears ect and yes kick can be great but at the same time can screw you up at any point, people say it's a lazy drive being auto but I think you have to be more on the ball with the auto over a manual like the kid that brought my last one, had it 2 hours put foot down kick down happend and he to be cut out of the car!!!

I have owned an auto TT before and never once found myself not in control. I also have never once been caught by kick down because it doesn't randomly kick in at any point.

He crashed it purely because he had no idea. Even if he had a manual he would have still crashed it & most like blame the car suddenly started to pick up speed.

It's nothing like the same :D with kickdown, it's almost instantaneous, and the effect is complemented by no let up in acceleration. In a manual supra, the effect is broken down by the accompanying gear changes.

I miss having a manual at times, but A BPU auto in a straight line is one of the great Supra experiences imo.

Of course it's the same, I've done it plenty of times in the Diesel with 500lbs of torque. Kickdown is the system dropping down to the optimum gear and having the revs increase to catch up to the wheel speed while the liquid torque converter spins up to create enough friction to get a pull. When this happens the load immediately transfers through the prop and into the rear wheels with a bit of boost pressure instantaneously catapulting you.

It's not magic, it's a mechanical reaction.

Dropping a gear then hitting the accelerator for a split second to get the revs HIGH prior to completely side stepping the clutch gets exactly the same reaction from the car in my experience. It's just a difficult process to get right on a manual and can kill the clutch if it's not built for it. Most people don't/can't do it, it was always my party trick when showing off the car. In fact it still is in the BMW, it's just easier.

Also, the kickdown in the BMW takes a bit of time. The Auto N/A Sup I drove seemed to take an age too, so it wasn't instantaneous in my experience, you had to wait a second or 2 before all hell would break loose.

this is the first thread ive ever seen like this. I have had 6 automatic cars. and they are awesome especially supra, usually all I get is abuse for driving auto's and that manuals are always better or some rubbish... but ultimately I think we can all agree that regardless of the gearbox supra's are savage...

this is the first thread ive ever seen like this. I have had 6 automatic cars. and they are awesome especially supra, usually all I get is abuse for driving auto's and that manuals are always better or some rubbish... but ultimately I think we can all agree that regardless of the gearbox supra's are savage...

I'm guessing this is only the second time you've been on then :D

People always have the "What I have is best" mentality, it's difficult to be objective so you will always need to weed them out. Supra's are fantastic regardless of variant (Other than N/A Auto's of course) :D

Of course it's the same, I've done it plenty of times in the Diesel with 500lbs of torque. Kickdown is the system dropping down to the optimum gear and having the revs increase to catch up to the wheel speed while the liquid torque converter spins up to create enough friction to get a pull. When this happens the load immediately transfers through the prop and into the rear wheels with a bit of boost pressure instantaneously catapulting you.

It's not magic, it's a mechanical reaction.

Dropping a gear then hitting the accelerator for a split second to get the revs HIGH prior to completely side stepping the clutch gets exactly the same reaction from the car in my experience. It's just a difficult process to get right on a manual and can kill the clutch if it's not built for it. Most people don't/can't do it, it was always my party trick when showing off the car. In fact it still is in the BMW, it's just easier.

Also, the kickdown in the BMW takes a bit of time. The Auto N/A Sup I drove seemed to take an age too, so it wasn't instantaneous in my experience, you had to wait a second or 2 before all hell would break loose.

You still have to move the gear lever and depress the clutch, which takes away from the effect, and as I said before the way that they gather speed is softened by then having to change gear manually.

I'm not talking about the technical intricacies, just the driving experience (which is all that really matters). Although it's also a well known fact that the autos are faster too. :D

You still have to move the gear lever and depress the clutch, which takes away from the effect, and as I said before the way that they gather speed is softened by having to change gear manually.

I'm not talking about the technical intricacies, just the driving experience (which is all that really matters). Although it's also a well known fact that the autos are faster too.

The auto changes the gear and depresses the "clutch" though. It's still the same mechanical process and the engine still decreases in speed/acceleration while it happens. It's entirely down to how brutal you are with your gear changes as to the time difference. If you're cruising along at 30/40mph and hit the kickdown it's not instant, the revs increase, the gear changes and THEN it goes.

Auto's are faster in the 1/4 but nowhere near it on a high speed pull. I walked away from them with a boost leak. In both instances it's marginal though :D

I went from Auto BPU to 6spd the difference I felt was huge I swear the auto's suck up more power than a manual ? not to mention it's such a old design gear box yes it was ahead of it's time but time has moved on it's not like a modern day 6/7spd auto a vw dsg golf does it in 8 milliseconds with racing style down changes .

Not to mention the noise of a auto from the outside it sounds like a stagecoach bus even worse on single I think. More control in the twisty back roads with a manual and better gear braking , I have been out in auto singles and the kick down is savage in a bpu auto on a single its like a ditch/barrier finder :)

The only thing a auto is good for in a supra is drag racing or when living in a built up city like London or if you poodle around like miss daisy not hanging the arse out

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

The only thing a auto is good for in a supra is drag racing or when living in a built up city like London or if you poodle around like miss daisy not hanging the arse out

There are many other advantages. Not least the fact that you can buy 10 used auto boxes for the price of 1 manual one, and there's no clutch to replace. Much lower initial purchase price, much nicer to drive in traffic etc.

I'm a big fan of the 6 speed cars, but I still recognise their flaws. It is not a great manual gearbox, but I like the notchy and agricultural feel of it. The truth of the matter is that 90% of the time plus, the auto is the better car. The 6 speed is a pig to drive in traffic.

And driving slowly isn't the reserve of auto drivers, in fact I would think that more 6 speeds are pampered garage queens and show cars.

There are many other advantages. Not least the fact that you can buy 10 used auto boxes for the price of 1 manual one, and there's no clutch to replace. Much lower initial purchase price, much nicer to drive in traffic etc.

I'm a big fan of the 6 speed cars, but I still recognise their flaws. It is not a great manual gearbox, but I like the notchy and agricultural feel of it. The truth of the matter is that 90% of the time plus, the auto is the better car. The 6 speed is a pig to drive in traffic.

And driving slowly isn't the reserve of auto drivers, in fact I would think that more 6 speeds are pampered garage queens and show cars.

Spot on.