The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who says autos are no good

hogmaw

I quite agree. If you master the driving style of an auto on a track, have decent braking system and I don't mean UK brakes but likes of AP, two Supras of the same spec with driving ability of the drivers the same auto will always win.

No chance mate, also it depends on the track, twisty manual would win hands down, the ratios are way too long with the auto.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Aristo makes so much sense as an Auto, it would be awful as a manual. An Auto TT makes sense as a daily, but not as practical as it's big brother the Aristo.

An N/A auto is just terrible, no power to begin with. The auto saps what little power there is.. Not engaging in any way, they should never have been made imo!

A 6 speed TT6 or Single is the ultimate weapon for me.

I quite agree. If you master the driving style of an auto on a track, have decent braking system and I don't mean UK brakes but likes of AP, two Supras of the same spec with driving ability of the drivers the same auto will always win.

Not a chance if the person in the manual can pedal properly.

Technically the Nordschlief is a public toll road :p

Even Toyota recognised the inherent flaw in sticking a huge engine in the front of the Supra for track work, hence none of the JGTC Supras using a JZ engine. In comparison, the SW20's, FD3S's, Evos, Imprezas etc stayed relatively true to their original layouts. And the Skylines only changed because of homologation rules to kill their advantage.

Technically the Nordschlief is a public toll road :p

Even Toyota recognised the inherent flaw in sticking a huge engine in the front of the Supra for track work, hence none of the JGTC Supras using a JZ engine. In comparison, the SW20's, FD3S's, Evos, Imprezas etc stayed relatively true to their original layouts. And the Skylines only changed because of homologation rules to kill their advantage.

As the rules at the time allowed for better competition (lighter weight penalties) when running a 4 cylinder engine

In 2004/2005 the Supra run with the V8 engine as there were rule changes in that season.

Does any one know the transmission loss % fly or wheel between auto and manual ?

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

As the rules at the time allowed for better competition (lighter weight penalties) when running a 4 cylinder engine

In 2004/2005 the Supra run with the V8 engine as there were rule changes in that season.

Does any one know the transmission loss % fly or wheel between auto and manual ?

Not for definite but Auto is approx 5% more. It shows on a high end motorway pull as I was running 0.2bar less boost than the auto I started to walk away from. We both had the mines ECU but I had a small boost issue due to a faulty VSV.

Auto TT at BPU levels is a great all rounder, drag work is for the Auto also.

On a track Id take a manual car everytime, and on the twisty roads.

Both very worthy in their own ways. Value wise the manuals always going to command a premium compared with the Auto, that's just fact, although I'm guessing 70% of manual owners will never push the manual box to its limits.

Manual for me.