The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who says autos are no good

hogmaw

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes autos are good cars but the supra just begs for a 6 speed. Nothing better than shifting through the gears. Few clutch kicks along the way :)

Why? It is a GT, not a sports car.

Why were so few manuals sold compared to autos? Look at a proper sports car, such as RX7s, MX5s, NSX etc. the vast majority of these sold were manuals.

I had a Manual Mk 3 and 2 Auto Mk 4's an N/A and my single SRD built one now and as Glenn said with the paddleshifts it is great and I would have the auto in traffic every time, my Aston is a manual and is a pig to drive in traffic the clutch is so stiff, in fact the guy who had it before me for 6 months from new and only did 1,072 miles in bought it for his girlfriend and she couldn't drive it so bought her a new auto aston and I know why. Everyone has their personal choice.

Manual sports cars / GT's / Coupes are always worth more than their auto counterparts. :)

In the case of the Supra, both are great in their own ways. But I remember the praise the autobox received when these cars were new, where the manual gearbox was not well received by the hacks. :)

my Aston is a manual and is a pig to drive in traffic the clutch is so stiff, in fact the guy who had it before me for 6 months from new and only did 1,072 miles in bought it for his girlfriend and she couldn't drive it so bought her a new auto aston and I know why. Everyone has their personal choice.

it must be nice to be able to say "my Aston" :D

Must be a brilliant car when you find a deserted road though :cool:

There is no difference between the feel of the v160 or v161, but they all vary massively in feel. Some are smoother than others, and I suspect they don't age well. It is also worth checking the condition of the linkages, as that will make a difference, as will refitting a stick gear knob, and changing the fluid.

The 5 speed is a much nicer gearbox to use, far smoother shifts. But the price is that they can't cope with anything like the torque that the 6 speeds can. Even BPU will kill a 5 speed box if they are used properly.

I've heard people saying the v160 is a nicer gearbox to operate over the 161, which made me wonder.

The throw feels a little shorter and the gearstick is shorter in height too in comparison to the V161. I got to agree with others is isn't as smooth as modern gearboxes but I personally find it feels quite nice. Feels solid and the changes are postive, not a great deal of difference between the two but one thing to bear in mind is the gearing I believe is different between them two.

There are many other advantages. Not least the fact that you can buy 10 used auto boxes for the price of 1 manual one, and there's no clutch to replace. Much lower initial purchase price, much nicer to drive in traffic etc.

I'm a big fan of the 6 speed cars, but I still recognise their flaws. It is not a great manual gearbox, but I like the notchy and agricultural feel of it. The truth of the matter is that 90% of the time plus, the auto is the better car. The 6 speed is a pig to drive in traffic.

And driving slowly isn't the reserve of auto drivers, in fact I would think that more 6 speeds are pampered garage queens and show cars.

The 6spd's are a bit agricultural but take into consideration they handle over 1000hp stock it's not much to worry about you will need a built auto to handle anything near that then the oil coolers . Most 6spd's drive horrible in traffic due to heavy cheap clutches being fitted I had this on my old clutch the new clutch drives almost like stock clutch.

If I remember rightly didnt we beat you in the auto vs manual race? :D

I bet that was in a straight line and engine modifications come into play look at the blitz supra 7min 21 second nurburgring ring lap back in 1997 it was a 6spd it just would not happen in auto, all of the big tuners do luck,top secret etc all the supra's they built where 6spd surely if auto's where quicker wouldn't they have gone auto ?. I heard your dad lost the back end during kick down and smashed the supra?

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

I bet that was in a straight line and engine modifications come into play look at the blitz supra 7min 21 second nurburgring ring lap back in 1997 it was a 6spd it just would not happen in auto, all of the big tuners do luck,top secret etc all the supra's they built where 6spd.

That is because a manual is faster around a track.

my 6 speed NA had a stock clutch, and it was worse to drive in traffic than my single with an RPS clutch.

Jamesys Do Luck car was an auto until it came to the UK ;)

And proper race cars use sequential boxes with paddle shifters, not regular manual gearboxes.

I have a stock clutch in my 6 speed too and it is easy to drive, even my wife drives it & that's in London traffic :D

That is because a manual is faster around a track.

Uk roads have corners and roundabouts :)

my 6 speed NA had a stock clutch, and it was worse to drive in traffic than my single with an RPS clutch.

Jamesys Do Luck car was an auto until it came to the UK ;)

And proper race cars use sequential boxes with paddle shifters, not regular manual gearboxes.

Ah at least Jamesy saw sense :D, so every manual race car is not a proper race car ? it's pretty much safe to say auto owners will say auto's are better and manual owners will say manuals are better each to their own I guess

Uk roads have corners and roundabouts :)

And traffic, traffic lights, speed bumps etc.

Ah at least Jamesy saw sense :D, so every manual race car is not a proper race car ? it's pretty much safe to say auto owners will say auto's are better and manual owners will say manuals are better each to their own I guess

Jamesy didn't change it, it was either Sumo power or Chingy. Manual gearboxes hold cars back compared to sequential ones, they only ever use manual boxes because of Homologation rules or budget constraints.

There are performance arguments for autos and manuals, what the manual is truly better at is heightening driver involvement. But that is the remit of sports cars, which the Supra is not. The Supras steering for example is not that of a sportscar either.