The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil price slump

j_jza80

It is good to see about 20% drop in the price of pump fuel , but this smaller drop in pump price compared to the amount oil has fallen is a reflection on just how much tax and duty we have to pay for fuel. :(

If all we paid at the pump was just the price of the oil within the petrol/diesel then we'd be paying around 58p per litre right now.

I don't think any election can be won by increasing the duty on fuel any more, so I think its nice timing for a change of office. Just have to hope that non of the left parties gain power because it will be a sure thing that the fuel escalator will be back in force if they win.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be happy till our petrol prices are at least a little competitive with other countries who are laughing at how much we pay. That said, it's probably quicker and easier for me to move to said countries before petrol prices fall that low (aka never)

We're not quite the worst (9th most expensive)

Venezuela is the cheapest at 0.02 dollars per litre :blink: but doubt i'd want to live there

http://www.globalpetrolprices.com

£1.06 per litre is the cheapest by me now

Just filled the Supra up with V-power, 1.15 per litre! Last time I filled it up it was 1.30 something :D

Not looking forward to the budget though, tax revenues were already down before the oil crash, so the government will likely increase fuel duty now, and by quite a bit.

I was told on another forum that it wont affect fuel duty as its a fixed amount in value per litre

and not a percentage of the price of the litre

We pay 58p (this is fixed) in fuel duty per liter, then we pay 20% VAT on that 58p, so before even starting on the cost of finding and retrieving the oil, then refining and transporting it we are already at 69.6p/L. With the price of petrol being 105.7p/L here, that means the cut for everything involved in getting the oil out the ground to the petrol in your car is 35p/L. Almost exactly half what the government are taking for every liter! Puts it into perspective.

The government will only lose out on the lesser 20% VAT figure currently. At £1.35 they were taking 22.5p in VAT per L, at 105.7p they are taking 17.6p in VAT per L. So they are approximately 5p/L down at the moment. Compared to the 30p/L loss that everything else involved has lost.

We pay 58p (this is fixed) in fuel duty per liter, then we pay 20% VAT on that 58p, so before even starting on the cost of finding and retrieving the oil, then refining and transporting it we are already at 69.6p/L. With the price of petrol being 105.7p/L here, that means the cut for everything involved in getting the oil out the ground to the petrol in your car is 35p/L. Almost exactly half what the government are taking for every liter! Puts it into perspective.

That is crazy when you break it down like that!! :blink:

With the millions of motorists filling up every day imagine how much tax revenue that is per day! So imagine on average a motorist fills up 50 litres of fuel which is £35 alone in fuel duty. Let's say it is at a busy service station and you get 5,000 people who fill up that day on average 50 litres. On that one day alone you will have raised £175,000 fuel duty revenue from one single place! That is nearly 64 million pounds of tax revenue from one single petrol station per annum!!!

Just to make you guys feel better, at least we aren't paying 8p a litre for fuel like they are in Riyadh! :D

That is crazy when you break it down like that!! :blink:

With the millions of motorists filling up every day imagine how much tax revenue that is per day! So imagine on average a motorist fills up 50 litres of fuel which is £35 alone in fuel duty. Let's say it is at a busy service station and you get 5,000 people who fill up that day on average 50 litres. On that one day alone you will have raised £175,000 fuel duty revenue from one single place! That is nearly 64 million pounds of tax revenue from one single petrol station per annum!!!

Just to make you guys feel better, at least we aren't paying 8p a litre for fuel like they are in Riyadh! :D

And for this reason the government cant reduce tax on fuel,if they do they have to get the cash elsewhere.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd bump this as I'm about to fill my heating oil again. Guess what the oil is now the cheapest I've ever seen I can't even go back far enough to see how when it was this low. I'd guess maybe a 10 year low? 32p currently. 320 and that my heating sorted for a year. Madness

To put this into petrol prices 85.6p for a litre of unleaded in 2005

Thought I'd bump this as I'm about to fill my heating oil again. Guess what the oil is now the cheapest I've ever seen I can't even go back far enough to see how when it was this low. I'd guess maybe a 10 year low? 32p currently. 320 and that my heating sorted for a year. Madness

To put this into petrol prices 85.6p for a litre of unleaded in 2005

Have you bought an extra tank yet??