The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mike's White Widearch N/A Supra Project

Mike2JZ

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to get the rest of the interior in on Thursday afternoon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192657&stc=1&d=1412968009

Only missing a head-unit of some sort + re-install the stock steering wheel to finish off the look.

I'm happy how the black panels came out in the end. I don't think it's OEM colors, but definitely fits in better then white imo.

The interior looks pretty worn out now that it's all back in. Can't say I'm surprised with it being 20 years old now, but I will get round to restoring some of it's condition in the near future. Can't wait to give it a clean also once the car is running again

attachment.php?attachmentid=192658&stc=1&d=1412968009

Gotta say screwing in the footwell panel was pretty funny, in a "I never want to do that again" kind of way. Going headfirst & upside down into the footwell was an experience.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192660&stc=1&d=1412968629

Early this morning I installed a new halfords battery, I guess the previous battery was of a different design, as currently there is no proper way to secure the positive sides cables to the battery. Have ordered a new quick release battery terminal to fix this though.

With the battery up and running, thought I would see if the car would fire.

No luck today unfortunately. Started on the steps to diagnose the issue by checking the state of the current spark plugs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192649&stc=1&d=1412966012

Definitely in need of a change, so will be picking up some new NBK BKR5EYA-11 plugs tomorrow. Whether this is the cause of the issue will remain to be seen, but looks like the plugs needed a change either way.

On the plus side of all this, all the electronics on the car work as intended. So I guess my dash re-install went alright in the end.

No doubt more updates tomorrow, as I'm determined to resurrect this Supra no matter what.

dash5.jpg

dash6.jpg

battery.jpg

The progress you are making is amazing, a lot more than I ever made - I'm really pleased for you! It's nice seeing the positive comments for it despite being Veilside.

I know where you are coming from having your head in the footwell and upside down, it was one of the reasons I gave up :wacko:

I'm thinking the issue could either be due to the fuel not being ignited so may be the spark plugs. Can you smell fuel after trying to start it? If not it could be the fuel pump not sending fuel round the system?

Took the TB off today in order to access the rest of the spark plugs

attachment.php?attachmentid=192665&stc=1&d=1413036709

Gotta say it did take me some time, some of the screws and bolts being 20 years old made for some fun times trying to get them off. Note to self: Replace with newer parts soon

attachment.php?attachmentid=192666&stc=1&d=1413036709

Finally got everything off and the last 4 sparks removed.

Interestingly, in contrast to spark 1 & 2, 3 & 4 were dripping loads of oil, whilst 5 & 6 had some oil, but not as bad as 3 & 4.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192667&stc=1&d=1413036709

Can't really say I know what that means or if I have to be worried about anything. Hopefully new sparks going in later today will sort this out?

spark1.jpg

spark2.jpg

spark3.jpg

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)

:yeahthat: Easy to fit new gaskets as you have all the top off now anyway. That's the time consuming bit. Get a vid. up when it fires up. Oh, and replace the leads as well as the plugs, unless they've been done in the recent past they'll be very broken down.

Yeah. But you must torque the cam covers up to the correct setting.

Cam cover seals just over a tenner each, do both so about £21 from MrT. It's the leads that cost. Torque for cam covers 8.5N.m. for a N/A.

Thanks for the info guys. Just ordered new seals, and found some leads in the for sale section. At £15 I'll give it a shot to see if they are any better.

Will still try and get the car running in the meantime

Wasn't have much luck getting the car started recently. On a whim I decide to check over all the grounding points of the car before diagnosing the electronics. Found a loose cable in the driver footwell.

Connected it and turned the key:

Now to start tidying the car up and getting it road ready :)

Had a somewhat productive weekend working on the car.

Started off with the biggest job of replacing the cam cover seals.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193054&stc=1&d=1413750730

attachment.php?attachmentid=193053&stc=1&d=1413750730

All in all, not a hard job to do. Seems to have done the job as well, can't see any excess oil by the spark plugs anymore. Must wear gloves next time though, the sealant I used almost stuck parts of my hand together

After doing a few test runs of the car, I noticed the engine was getting quite hot. After some inspection, the radiator had barely any coolant in it and the radiator cap looked like this

attachment.php?attachmentid=193056&stc=1&d=1413750730

So new rad cap has been ordered + the radiator has been filled up with coolant. Temperatures were much more happy today even after some stressful test runs.

Since my heater setup started leaking I had to find a way to block the pipes. After a quick run to B&Q, managed to setup a temporary solution.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193055&stc=1&d=1413750730

So far I haven't had any leaks with it, so should be ok till I go back and pull the dash out again :ecstatic:

So it's been a good weekend, car is almost ready to go for MOT now. HOWEVER, I had an epic battle today trying to remove the steering wheel boss kit that came with the car.

Admittedly I'm not the strongest of people out there, but my god, that boss kit is properly stuck and doesn't want to come out. In the end I gave in for today and put the aftermarket wheel back on, but I will be back, armed with wd40 in hopes that I can get it off.

covers1.jpg

covers2.jpg

heater1.jpg

rad1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So quick update of recent events.

Had an MOT on Tuesday, and even though I prepped the car the best I could I had a feeling I missed something.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193444&stc=1&d=1414668762

Much to the examiner's surprise it passed first time. His words were "I wouldn't of expected that from a 20 year old Toyota". Even though the car had been sitting idle outside for 2 years+, there wasn't any sign of rust!

The only advisory was the exhaust was rubbing against the bumper, which is something I need to fix anyway.

So got the car tax'd up in the mot carpark and I was off!

I've been spending the last 2 days driving it non stop, think I've covered 200+ miles, looking for any issues to crop up. So far everything has been running rather smoothly :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=193446&stc=1&d=1414668762

I know everyone here looks down on the N/A, but I've seriously fallen in love with the driving style of this car. It was everything I'd hoped it would be, and sure it's lacking big power, but that's ok with me whilst I get to grips with handling a rear wheel drive car under all sorts of conditions.

On that note, I have to say the LSD in this works wonders for traction. Even in the wet I really have to go hard to get the back to slide, which is comforting.

Now that everything is up and running, I can focus on getting some smaller jobs sorted.

- Fix exhaust hangers

- Give the car a proper clean & wax

- Paint rear spoiler

- Get a top secret front bumper (if anyone reading this knows one second hand lemme know)

- Install new driver seat belt

- Re-install heater properly

- Photoshoot

Moar updates soon!

mot.jpg

drive1.jpg

drive2.jpg